Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Fanjet
BTW, can anyone think of a reason to ticket on BA ticket-stock now versus AA for the same itineraries?
Booking with one of the various discounts (e.g. AARP, Chase) is the only reason I would book on BA, especially with spend-based earning now, and the flexibility of being able to cancel for a flight credit on AA if I wanted to.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

BTW, can anyone think of a reason to ticket on BA ticket-stock now versus AA for the same itineraries? Aside from there being an odd fare difference. Because you still get full million-miler earnings with AA, and not the 5X base fare BS. As well as the bonus miles if you have one of the AA MCs
If BAH packages continue to post by distance, that would be a reason as well as the ability to defer payment of most of the cost until closer to departure.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:08 pm

Yes. But it's at the reduced mileage earning rate for BE fares. I had the unfortunate luck of purchasing a BA-issued BE ticket before the earnings change back in October. And the return portion of that ticket was with the new earning scheme. It was about a 3K RDM/LP difference from what I earned on the outbound. As for the posting to your account, BA tickets usually take about a week to credit to AA.
Which is 2x per $ of base fare, plus any redemption bonuses?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:55 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flew JFK-LHR RT in F on BA, but booked via AA.com as AA flight numbers. The total cost was $4k.
I only received about 29,000 LPs for this. Does that make sense the base fare was only $2600 (AA claims)? AA is saying it was posted correctly, but I just don't remember seeing such a big difference in the total price vs base fare for LPs earned. Is it just that international tickets have much higher taxes/fees?

I earned more LPs on a JFK-LAX RT that was $3200 than on this JFK-LHR RT that was $4,000

Last edited by S.R; Apr 1, 2024 at 2:00 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:18 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S.R
I flew JFK-LHR RT in F on BA, but booked via AA.com as AA flight numbers. The total cost was $4k.
I only received about 29,000 LPs for this. Does that make sense the base fare was only $2600 (AA claims)? AA is saying it was posted correctly, but I just don't remember seeing such a big difference in the total price vs base fare for LPs earned. Is it just that international tickets have much higher taxes/fees?

I earned more LPs on a JFK-LAX RT that was $3200 than on this JFK-LHR RT that was $4,000
I know that BA have a fair bit of carrier-imposed fees, but these are supposed to be included for LP-earning purposes. Only externally-imposed taxes/fees are supposed to be excluded.

I would suggest asking AA for a breakdown receipt showing far and all taxes/fees. I looked at booking we have on BA, and I see all of that, so have taken a screenshot.

A BAH booking, though, doesn't have this. While there is reason to believe that this will post by distance (based on one example), I do want to get this just in case it posts by fare.

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by S.R

Are you still EXP? If so, you should earn 11 miles/LPs per pre-tax fare dollar spent. From aa.com:

"miles are earned based on ticket price (includes base fare plus carrier-imposed fees; excludes government-imposed taxes and fees)"

Even with the hefty UK APD on the return flight, it's hard to believe that the base fare plus carrier surcharges on a $4,000 ticket would be just $2,600. My guess is that it should be closer to $3,400-$3,500 +/-.

A follow-up with AA is definitely in order, especially if you are still EXP.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 1, 2024 at 2:34 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:59 pm
S.R

Originally Posted by brp
I know that BA have a fair bit of carrier-imposed fees, but these are supposed to be included for LP-earning purposes. Only externally-imposed taxes/fees are supposed to be excluded.

I would suggest asking AA for a breakdown receipt showing far and all taxes/fees. I looked at booking we have on BA, and I see all of that, so have taken a screenshot.

A BAH booking, though, doesn't have this. While there is reason to believe that this will post by distance (based on one example), I do want to get this just in case it posts by fare.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you still EXP? If so, you should earn 11 miles/LPs per pre-tax fare dollar spent. From aa.com:

"miles are earned based on ticket price (includes base fare plus carrier-imposed fees; excludes government-imposed taxes and fees)"

Even with the hefty UK APD on the return flight, it's hard to believe that the base fare plus carrier surcharges on a $4,000 ticket would be just $2,600. My guess is that it should be closer to $3,400-$3,500 +/-.

A follow-up with AA is definitely in order, especially if you are still EXP.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I am still EXP.
The AA agents seem clueless and just keep saying that's what it is. One told me to submit a complaint/question so it goes to the right department so I did that, but who knows.
I did use travel credits for this booking and it was changed a few times so I fear that may have messed up the fare calculation somehow.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just doing a check on ITA, it would seem that the taxes would be approximately $379 for a simple JFK-LHR-JFK journey, so the earning should be based on approximately $3600 , so a base of 18,000 plus any status bonus. An earning of 29,000 would seem to be correct if you had dropped to Platinum status this membership year, but would seem to be short around 10,000 points if still holding EP status and credited by fare

Does the earning in account indicate that it credited by fare or by distance?

At a distance of 3452 miles each way - if it credited by distance and earned 100% miles plus 200% cabin bonus plus 120% EP status bonus, that would come to 28,998 earning
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:15 pm
S.R

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just doing a check on ITA, it would seem that the taxes would be approximately $379 for a simple JFK-LHR-JFK journey, so the earning should be based on approximately $3600 , so a base of 18,000 plus any status bonus. An earning of 29,000 would seem to be correct if you had dropped to Platinum status this membership year, but would seem to be short around 10,000 points if still holding EP status and credited by fare

Does the earning in account indicate that it credited by fare or by distance?

At a distance of 3452 miles each way - if it credited by distance and earned 100% miles plus 200% cabin bonus plus 120% EP status bonus, that would come to 28,998 earning
It shows credited by fare for both segments. Since I am EXP, I was expecting around 37-39K loyalty points for this booking
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp

Some further notes on this, and a reason to believe that BAH packages may continue to post by distance: I called BAH to get the breakdown details for my records. The agent indicated that this is not available as things are pulled together and discounted. Even they can't get it. So it seems unlikely that AA could separate out the fare component to award LPs by $.

In theory, the could gut BAH like they did with AAV, but that does not seem likely in the near future.

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Some further notes on this, and a reason to believe that BAH packages may continue to post by distance: I called BAH to get the breakdown details for my records. The agent indicated that this is not available as things are pulled together and discounted. Even they can't get it. So it seems unlikely that AA could separate out the fare component to award LPs by $.

In theory, the could gut BAH like they did with AAV, but that does not seem likely in the near future.

Cheers.
Is it also possible though, that with the 3rd party bookings issue from next month, that BA Holidays may no longer be eligible for earning anything.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is it also possible though, that with the 3rd party bookings issue from next month, that BA Holidays may no longer be eligible for earning anything.
Well, in this case the booking is with BA. since partner bookings are still valid, it would seem unlikely that they would disallow a booking made with BA for earning. The booking comes as BA e-ticket.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:15 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I can't see this mentioned upthread, but I've just established from my most recent trip that BA's HBO (hand baggage only) fares earn LPs at 40%, as do AA's Basic Economy.

This is not explicit on aa.com's BA earning page, where it refers to Basic Economy fares earning at 40%, i.e. the same wording as on the AA earning page.

The point of mentioning this is that BA's HBO and AA's BE are not the same thing. BE is the lowest fare, whereas HBO is an option on any Y fare bucket.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Folks, first time on AA Forum so bear with me! I have approx 24hrs free in S Florida from midday on Friday 19th April. I'd quite like to get some OW Tier points for my BA status. Is there any obvious route for a quick cheap overnight trip ex Miami that would help with the above in a premium class? Appreciate any bright ideas!

Last edited by brentford77; Apr 4, 2024 at 2:47 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tjcxx
I can't see this mentioned upthread, but I've just established from my most recent trip that BA's HBO (hand baggage only) fares earn LPs at 40%, as do AA's Basic Economy.

This is not explicit on aa.com's BA earning page, where it refers to Basic Economy fares earning at 40%, i.e. the same wording as on the AA earning page.

The point of mentioning this is that BA's HBO and AA's BE are not the same thing. BE is the lowest fare, whereas HBO is an option on any Y fare bucket.
From what I can tell from EF, AA has basic economy fares linked to various economy fare classes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.