Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:30 am

How many days after flying on BA does it take to post to your AA account? I have flown many times in the past on BA and it typically takes 5 days after flying to post to my AA account. I flew DUB-LHR-LAX on BA J/I Fare on 10/18 and I still have not seen anything. I also flew LHR-DUB on BA I fare on 10/17 which has already posted. I know 10/18 was also the date that flying on BA/AA switched to revenue based earnings but wondering if this is just the new normal or are my miles actually missing.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
How many days after flying on BA does it take to post to your AA account? I have flown many times in the past on BA and it typically takes 5 days after flying to post to my AA account. I flew DUB-LHR-LAX on BA J/I Fare on 10/18 and I still have not seen anything. I also flew LHR-DUB on BA I fare on 10/17 which has already posted. I know 10/18 was also the date that flying on BA/AA switched to revenue based earnings but wondering if this is just the new normal or are my miles actually missing.
U. Correctly answered ur own question… “I have flown many times in the past on BA and it typically takes 5 days after flying to post to my AA account.”

at 14 days do a missing mileage request on .com
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I was just going to post to ask this same question. Flew BA LHR to BER on Tuesday so I'll expect the posting in a couple of days. Tickets were bought before 10/18 but flown after so I should expect posting to be dollar based not miles?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
U. Correctly answered ur own question… “I have flown many times in the past on BA and it typically takes 5 days after flying to post to my AA account.”

at 14 days do a missing mileage request on .com
Reason why I asked is my BA flight on the Oct 17th posted at the usual 4-5 day cadence. My BA flight on Oct 18th still hasn't posted and it's 8 days. I was going to guess that b/c of the changeover on the 18th to revenue based earnings might have caused some hiccups and wanted to see if others are seeing the same thing.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Amil
so if I had a RT ticket from Sept 19- Oct 21 is my return going to be based on revenue or the original?
I'm kind of in the same situation. I buy my tickets between the U.S. and Europe with them originating in Europe because they cost a lot less. My outbound was a few weeks ago, and my return is just over a week from now. I'd prefer the old earnings for the return. But I'm only going to be out maybe a couple of thousand RDMs/LPs. However, since it's now revenue-based, does this mean we will get 100% lifetime miles credit for BA flights on a discount economy ticket, and no longer 25% of the distance flown? That would be a nice compensation for the loss of miles.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'm kind of in the same situation. I buy my tickets between the U.S. and Europe with them originating in Europe because they cost a lot less. My outbound was a few weeks ago, and my return is just over a week from now. I'd prefer the old earnings for the return. But I'm only going to be out maybe a couple of thousand RDMs/LPs. However, since it's now revenue-based, does this mean we will get 100% lifetime miles credit for BA flights on a discount economy ticket, and no longer 25% of the distance flown? That would be a nice compensation for the loss of miles.
heres what posted for my return: (total fare price was like $2400ish)

ACTIVITY

Award Miles
Base miles
Bonus miles
Loyalty Points
Million Miler

FLIGHT DETAILS

LHR - LAX

• Oct 21, 2023
  • BA 0269
  • Business (I)
  • Method: Fare
  • Posted: Oct 25, 2023
Award Miles
Base miles
Bonus miles
Status 6,150
Loyalty Points
Base 5,125, Status 6,150
Million Miler

AMS - LHR

• Oct 21, 2023
  • BA 0431
  • Business (J)
  • Method: Fare
  • Posted: Oct 25, 2023
Award Miles
Base miles
Bonus miles
Status 450Loyalty Points
Base 375,
Status 450
Million Miler
tasty_chicken likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

heres what posted for my return: (total fare price was like $2400ish
Total fare or total price? It looks like they counted it as a fare of about $1000 on the return -- is that about half of what you paid before taxes?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Total fare or total price? It looks like they counted it as a fare of about $1000 on the return -- is that about half of what you paid before taxes?
total price of the ticket its a 3rd party amex ticket from covid thats been changed a few times so hard to actually calculate the tax and everything since they billed it weird.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

total price of the ticket its a 3rd party amex ticket from covid thats been changed a few times so hard to actually calculate the tax and everything since they billed it weird.
If you booked it through Amex you should actually have good documents in tripcase. I highly recommend setting it up (it's free). You will even have a pdf of your eticket (which is really useful sometimes)
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:18 pm

If you booked it through Amex you should actually have good documents in tripcase. I highly recommend setting it up (it's free). You will even have a pdf of your eticket (which is really useful sometimes)
I tried to do a retro on tripcase but the documents came back empty

No Documents

We can’t find any documents for this trip.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to do a retro on tripcase but the documents came back empty

No Documents

We can’t find any documents for this trip.
That's too bad. Without the fare construction there's no way to be sure that you got the correct miles. It looks like it's close to what's expected, though.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It actually looks like the return section was priced at $1100 of applicable fare calculation. Hence the 5500 base miles. It's definitely not based upon the old method as there is no I-fare bonus of 50%; and the distance between LAX and LHR is just over 5400 miles. But it appears like AA is using the jetBlue method for MM calculation: 5X of base fare. So, for me, there realy is no longer a point in ticketing on BA stock versus AA. I will earn the same amount of RDMs/LPs. But AA ticket stock will give me 100% of distance flown for MM status.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It actually looks like the return section was priced at $1100 of applicable fare calculation. Hence the 5500 base miles.
Oh good point; I forgot to add in the other segment.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
So, for me, there realy is no longer a point in ticketing on BA stock versus AA.
Aside from the 10% Chase discount on BA.

But the ability to cancel AA tickets for a flight credit is a big plus.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
So, for me, there realy is no longer a point in ticketing on BA stock versus AA.
Yes, I have reached the same conclusion myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.