Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia

AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the Upgrade my class of travel with money link from within MMB, or the Upgrade to the next available cabin blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Flew BA LAX-LHR December 21st and still no miles awarded

Any recent experiences where it's taken longer than 10 days?

Tickets were purchased before the October change.
​​​​​​
​​​
It took about five days for a recent BA prime flight to post (was on 001 stock). I submitted a request to review as this PNR got pretty messy due to IRROPS.

The codeshare I flew yesterday posted within six hours of touchdown.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Had my miles credit as fare unfortunately.

LAX - LHR in BA J used to give about 15k miles/LPs. With the new earning structure, I earned a paltry 6620 LPs even as an ExPlat :/

I guess I'll be seeking out Finnair flights for this coming year
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Had my miles credit as fare unfortunately.

LAX - LHR in BA J used to give about 15k miles/LPs. With the new earning structure, I earned a paltry 6620 LPs even as an ExPlat :/

I guess I'll be seeking out Finnair flights for this coming year
Fair enough, but obviously even Finnair is probably a short term strategy. It's pretty clear that revenue is becoming the driver and my guess is this process likely rolls out to most OW partners over time. I don't see AA leaving a bunch of "loopholes" open, but here is hoping I'll be wrong...

Regards
brp likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
Fair enough, but obviously even Finnair is probably a short term strategy. It's pretty clear that revenue is becoming the driver and my guess is this process likely rolls out to most OW partners over time. I don't see AA leaving a bunch of "loopholes" open, but here is hoping I'll be wrong...

Regards
Sadly I agree this is the direction we're headed in.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by scubadu
Fair enough, but obviously even Finnair is probably a short term strategy. It's pretty clear that revenue is becoming the driver and my guess is this process likely rolls out to most OW partners over time.
Is this feasible without entering a revenue sharing agreement?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:06 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by markiedawg
flew BA over Thanksgiving and still waiting for miles to post. On the way to Europe, flew Finnair (on BA ticket number). On the return, flew BA. AA FF number are on all boarding passes. have them on hand in case I need to manually file a missing miles request. Anyone have any recent insight into how long it takes for miles to post to AA?

side note, I also paid for an upgrade from PE to biz on the way from LHR to US. would that count toward ticket price earning?
Do you have a data point on whether the upgrade counted as part of the fare revenue? I'm considering purchasing a POUG to PE for a flight soon and that's a consideration.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VFR
Do you have a data point on whether the upgrade counted as part of the fare revenue? I'm considering purchasing a POUG to PE for a flight soon and that's a consideration.
unfortunately the POUG didnt count toward additional fare revenue. when I did the calculation, I only earned LPs based on what I originally paid for the ticket. perhaps in line with AA where you don't earn any extra miles for a paid upgrade? saw that will change later next qualification year though. I didn't explore/push any further since I wasn't sure what is standard here...
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econ
Is this feasible without entering a revenue sharing agreement?
Finnair is part of the JV with AA and BA.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I have a question - how is BA crediting now for Million Miler - I'm getting ready to purchase CPT-LHR-MAN - and i'm really close on my million miler status. I need 1402 to get 2 Million miler -
how will that flight work for crediting on a V class?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:39 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catwood
I have a question - how is BA crediting now for Million Miler - I'm getting ready to purchase CPT-LHR-MAN - and i'm really close on my million miler status. I need 1402 to get 2 Million miler -
how will that flight work for crediting on a V class?
Booking with AA or BA?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:10 am

Booking with BA - I think it would $550 dollars (fare and YQ) so $550 X 5 X 1.4 (gold) so 3850? And would those be what counts towards million miler?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:12 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catwood
Booking with BA - I think it would $550 dollars (fare and YQ) so $550 X 5 X 1.4 (gold) so 3850? And would those be what counts towards million miler?
BA booked flights post with million miler equal to base miles, so just $550x5.
econ likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by S80
BA booked flights post with million miler equal to base miles, so just $550x5.
Thanks!
S80 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do you earn AA Loyalty Points when booking a BA basic economy fare? It has been a week since my flight, and still no points have posted despite my number being in the account.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do you earn AA Loyalty Points when booking a BA basic economy fare? It has been a week since my flight, and still no points have posted despite my number being in the account.
Yes. But it's at the reduced mileage earning rate for BE fares. I had the unfortunate luck of purchasing a BA-issued BE ticket before the earnings change back in October. And the return portion of that ticket was with the new earning scheme. It was about a 3K RDM/LP difference from what I earned on the outbound. As for the posting to your account, BA tickets usually take about a week to credit to AA.

BTW, can anyone think of a reason to ticket on BA ticket-stock now versus AA for the same itineraries? Aside from there being an odd fare difference. Because you still get full million-miler earnings with AA, and not the 5X base fare BS. As well as the bonus miles if you have one of the AA MCs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.