Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying British Airways
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / BA



Earning AAdvantage Miles flying British Airways
Travel on British Airways and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Affiliate airlines
  • BA Cityflyer
  • BA EuroFlyer
  • Sun-Air of Scandinavia


AAdvantage Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members traveling on British Airways also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly BA as an AA codeshare, marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles flying BA.
Upgrading to First on British Airways and U, Z (?) upgrade shared with award Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business (Club World) fare to First on British Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z" (?)a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) fare to Business puts it into U class (?), another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-earning, but it may prove challenging.

According to successful member BosTravel, you may have to contact ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, and explain you paid for Business, upgraded to F, or WTP to CW, and provide them with your original ticket number(s).

Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways When Upgraded[/color]
AAdvantage Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA (using AA miles)

AAdvantage miles may be used to secure upgrade awards for partners BA and IB, including code shares, depending on fare purchased.
  • Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
  • Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways
  • Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

EQM will be generally earned based on originally purchased fare.

Link to thread discussing AA Participating Airline Upgrade Awards / PAUA

Links to BAEC Forum resources:
Pro-Active Online Upgrades (POUG)

A. What is a Pro-active Online Upgrade?
The simple answer: it is a limited special upgrade that may be offered at a time of BA's choosing after your booking is ticketed up to and including online check-in. The offer, if it happens (and this is not guaranteed) will appear in Manage My Booking, either via BA.com or the mobile app. There is no email notification, klaxon sound or flashing beacons to alert you - so now you know why its called a Pro-active Online Upgrade

Please note, POUG rates differ from the rates offered at the airport (see, Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread) and also the rate offered when you click on the Upgrade my class of travel with money link from within MMB, or the Upgrade to the next available cabin blue/grey banner in the app.

Link to thread on Pro-active Online Upgrades and cost tracking
Airport Upgrades (AUP):

Airport Upgrades may be offered at the airport, or rarely in a lounge if requested.

Link to thread on Airport Upgrades and cost tracking
Upgrading using Avios (UuA)
UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.

Link to post regarding Upgrading using Avios
Print Wikipost

Earning AA LPs / Award miles etc. BA / British Airways (inc. upgraded flights)

Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:08 am
  #241  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,341
Originally Posted by olouie
Yes flight date.
Meanwhile, B6 crediting is by booking date.

This is absolutely insane. Evidently, AA has never heard of change management.
nk15 likes this.
Antarius is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:42 am
  #242  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: DCA/IAD & BUF
Posts: 1,430
Another horrific mid-year bait & switch change by AA.

While it's probably precipitated by BA's transition to the spend model, it certainly feels like AA is jumping now at any opportunity to curb LP earnings. Can hardly wait to see what devaluation comes next. 🙄
catmndu and nk15 like this.
cmtlatitudes is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:46 pm
  #243  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 11,787
Originally Posted by econ
Well, this kind of sucks. Good thing I didn't buy more of those recent BA J fare deals than I already did. Might have booked them through AA instead since I could have at least looked for SWU J to F opportunities.
AA you can also refund for credit, as opposed to BA. The only remaining value for BA is ex US for the discounts
econ and cmtlatitudes like this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:01 pm
  #244  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 4,605
Originally Posted by nk15
AA you can also refund for credit, as opposed to BA. The only remaining value for BA is ex US for the discounts
Will be curious to see if the discount is included in the fare calculation that will determine miles/LP earn.
econ is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:58 pm
  #245  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: AA GLD
Posts: 6
Revenue Qatar flight upgraded with Avios earned no AA miles

I upgraded a paid economy (H class) Qatar flight to business using Avios, and I gave my AA frequent flyer details for mileage earning. AA credited the non-upgraded leg properly, but they credited zero miles and zero LP for the upgraded one, because it's showing in their system as U class, which is for award travel. I spoke to Qatar, and they said this is an error on AA's part, since the fare basis never changed from H. They even sent me documentation to that effect, which I forwarded to AA, but the document says both "Fare basis: HKR7R1FXC" and "Class: U." AA says it's the class that counts, while Qatar says it should be the fare basis. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
irmjm is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:18 pm
  #246  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by irmjm
I upgraded a paid economy (H class) Qatar flight to business using Avios, and I gave my AA frequent flyer details for mileage earning. AA credited the non-upgraded leg properly, but they credited zero miles and zero LP for the upgraded one, because it's showing in their system as U class, which is for award travel. I spoke to Qatar, and they said this is an error on AA's part, since the fare basis never changed from H. They even sent me documentation to that effect, which I forwarded to AA, but the document says both "Fare basis: HKR7R1FXC" and "Class: U." AA says it's the class that counts, while Qatar says it should be the fare basis. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
Call AAdvantage Customer Service 800-882-8880, just tell them you purchased an eligible fare class but because you upgraded it's causing the flights not to credit correctly, they can manually credit it.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:20 pm
  #247  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: AA GLD
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Call AAdvantage Customer Service 800-882-8880, just tell them you purchased an eligible fare class but because you upgraded it's causing the flights not to credit correctly, they can manually credit it.
Thanks for your quick response. I tried, but they insist that they've done everything correctly, and that it's not eligible if it's U class.
irmjm is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:26 pm
  #248  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by irmjm
Thanks for your quick response. I tried, but they insist that they've done everything correctly, and that it's not eligible if it's U class.
AAdvantage Customer Service told you that when you called the number I posted above?
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:40 pm
  #249  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: AA GLD
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AAdvantage Customer Service told you that when you called the number I posted above?
Alas, yes. During the call, I emailed them the official document from Qatar that shows the fare basis. They took a look but then wrongly decided that the fare must have changed at some point, invalidating the flight for miles earning.

Do you have any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks!

Last edited by irmjm; Aug 20, 2023 at 11:14 pm
irmjm is offline  
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:02 am
  #250  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,628
Originally Posted by irmjm
Alas, yes. During the call, I emailed them the official document from Qatar that shows the fare basis. They took a look but then wrongly decided that the fare must have changed at some point, invalidating the flight for miles earning.

Do you have any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks!
Just keep pushing back.

Did they email you after the call to say that it was ineligible? If yes, just reply back to the email that their findings are incorrect, this was a normal paid ticket in fare basis H as per attached ticket receipt (send the original if you have it) and to please manually adjust the postings to align with the QR earning table which is clearly spelled put at aa.com.

If they told you on the phone that it was ineligible, then call back this week and start over with a different agent.
brp likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:43 am
  #251  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: AA GLD
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just keep pushing back.

Did they email you after the call to say that it was ineligible? If yes, just reply back to the email that their findings are incorrect, this was a normal paid ticket in fare basis H as per attached ticket receipt (send the original if you have it) and to please manually adjust the postings to align with the QR earning table which is clearly spelled put at aa.com.

If they told you on the phone that it was ineligible, then call back this week and start over with a different agent.
I'll try, thanks.
irmjm is offline  
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:51 am
  #252  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot in Asia
Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Posts: 25,935
BA flight number operated by QR

Outbound flight is before 17 Oct. Inbound flight is after 18 October.
Outbound flight is BA flight number in N class (50% miles). But what happens to the return flight when its after 18 October? Will AA calculate the fare value and credit accordingly?
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:30 am
  #253  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,566
I wonder how this will be handled for BA Holidays bookings going forward. Since (many) AA Vacations still post by distance due to having the added component, there's reason to believe that BA Holidays bookings could follow.

It will be interesting to get data points as people fly BAH packages credited to AA.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:32 pm
  #254  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by brp
I wonder how this will be handled for BA Holidays bookings going forward. Since (many) AA Vacations still post by distance due to having the added component, there's reason to believe that BA Holidays bookings could follow.

It will be interesting to get data points as people fly BAH packages credited to AA.

Cheers.
I thought that since the change, AAV was just based on the price you paid for the package and the flight earned nothing. Are there some where you get miles for the flight? What do you mean by "added component"?
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:38 pm
  #255  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,566
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I thought that since the change, AAV was just based on the price you paid for the package and the flight earned nothing. Are there some where you get miles for the flight? What do you mean by "added component"?
My understanding is that AAV packages where the flight has the asterisk still posts by distance. We've certainly had some AAV flights post by distance since the change to LP. We've not done one in a bit, but I am assuming that this has not changed. The "added component" is the car or hotel which complicates extraction of the price for the flights.

Cheers.
brp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.