Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The early 2019 787-8 retrofit standardizes 788 seating at C20, W28, Y186 (of which 42 are MCE)

AA begins selling Premium Economy tickets as if 1 May (if not before) on the 787-8.

787-8 Current Status as of 24 April April 2019: NO J28 788s left in service, refit completed.:

Refitting took two weeks per airframe, and two were in the shop at Paine Field at any one time. N800AN was the test article / prototype (PAE Sep 2018), N816AA was the last (returned to service 24 Apr 2019).

here[/u] for fairly current listings.

All Boeing 787-8 have Premium Economy as of 24 April 2019.
All Boeing 787-9 have Premium Economy “out of the box”.

The Rockwell Collins MiQ seat has been selected. This is also the domestic (newly renamed) Business seat in narrowbodies, with added drop down footpegs (foot and leg rest in bulkhead rows), seatback IFE, non-moveable head rests.

Link to AA Premium Economy page.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It's largely similar to being in the window seat on a narrow body, albeit with slightly less elbow room on one side.

If the row in front is reclined, you'll need to climb over or have the aisle pax move to get up.

Overall, better than coach and not horrible. But I wouldn't pay a major premium for the middle seat.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jgruber215
Has anyone ever sat in the middle seat of premium economy (non-bulkhead)? How was your experience? I have a 6.5 hour flight (PHL-LIS) tomorrow and all that’s available is middle seat. I get up a lot which is why I usually chose isle bulkhead, however my flight today was cancelled and all they have tomorrow is middle seat. (787-8).
Make sure you keep checking to see if any of the other PE seats open up. Of course, I would take it over a normal Y seat.
I would probably not take it over a normal Exit Row Y aisle on a widebody, if I had to pay the normal PE price for it

Last edited by mvoight; May 4, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Make sure you keep checking to see if any of the other PE seats open up. Of course, I would take it over a normal Y seat.
I would probably not take it over a normal Exit Row aisle on a widebody, if I had to pay the normal PE price for it
This really comes down to personal preference.

I hate aisle seats in economy because:

(1) my shoulders are broad enough that I spill into the aisle a little and am constantly getting bumped, making sleeping impossible. This is not an issue in PE. But...

(2) I don't get up a lot and I like to sleep. I don't want the person beside me disturbing me to get up to use the bathroom. Selfishly, if I get up once in a flight, I would rather disturb the other person that one time than have them disturb me every time they get up. So I hate any aisle seat in any configuration where everyone does not have direct aisle access. This is an issue for PE. So in PE I prefer a window but if there are no windows I will take a middle over any aisle.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The good thing about the middle seat in PE on a 787 is that you can alternate which neighbor you "disturb" to get to the aisle. That said, it's an overnight flight, are you really going to be getting up a lot? You might want to advise your neighbors in advance, maybe one of them would switch to the middle.
Also, keep in mind that the major drawback of an economy middle seat (squished shoulders) doesn't really exist because of the wider seat and the wider armrests. So it really shouldn't be that bad.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Kind of depends on what is a priority for you. Leg room won't be as good as an exit row in regular economy.
However, if width is important, this will be much better. Unlikely to have anyone touching you whereas you're basically in contact with your seatmates the entire time in economy.
I once had the middle LAX-Tokyo on an overnight and was a bit worried about it at first but I probably only got up once and it was frankly pretty comfortable.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Keep checking and usually when they bump up passengers to Business, it might open up a few seats in PE. Seats are comfy but yes if you are in the middle, you will not be able to get out without waking up the person on the aisle seat.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:08 pm

I'd look into getting EF's free subscription which lets you set such an alert for aisle seats:
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I'm looking at a transatlantic flight next year, and AA is showing 788 in the front/rear configuration. Looking at the wiki, I see AA was talking about a modification to address the motion that came from the linked seats. Did they ever follow through with that, or is that still a problem?

FTF
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Flying PHL-ZRH in April in PE. Do they pass out head phones in PE? If so, are they the same as what the provide in biz class or are they the cheap air buds they have for economy? We only do carry on and the Bose head phones we have can take up valuable space so we prefer not to pack them if not needed.
(Of course if our wait listed upgrade using miles comes through, the point is moot )
Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Flying PHL-ZRH in April in PE. Do they pass out head phones in PE? If so, are they the same as what the provide in biz class or are they the cheap air buds they have for economy? We only do carry on and the Bose head phones we have can take up valuable space so we prefer not to pack them if not needed.
(Of course if our wait listed upgrade using miles comes through, the point is moot )
Thanks
It's definitely not the noise cancelling headphones which are distributed in the business cabin. IIRC, these are over the ear headphones which are a bit more substantial than the earbuds, but their sound quality is nothing to write home about.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:11 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's definitely not the noise cancelling headphones which are distributed in the business cabin. IIRC, these are over the ear headphones which are a bit more substantial than the earbuds, but their sound quality is nothing to write home about.
Maybe they've upped the game?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp

Free, personal on-demand entertainment with larger monitors and noise-reducing headphones.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Maybe they've upped the game?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp

Free, personal on-demand entertainment with larger monitors and noise-reducing headphones.
Noise-reducing, not noise- cancelling, which is what the Bang & Olufsen headphones which are given in business do.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:07 am

Which bulkhead seat in PE on a 787-800 is better? 6A (left side window) or 6L (right side window)?

Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by hand_solo
Which bulkhead seat in PE on a 787-800 is better? 6A (left side window) or 6L (right side window)?
They are about the same. If it is a daylight flight, I'd pick the one that will be away from the sun.
hand_solo likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:55 pm

How is the legroom in the center bulkhead PE seats? Will a 6' person have any trouble stretching out? Currently deciding between 6EH or 9JL for a couple traveling together (other bulkheads already taken). If we can still stretch out and 6E can easily get to the aisle when 6H is sleeping, that would make the bulkhead an easy choice. Otherwise, 9JL would likely win for being more isolated. Seat width and a fold-out monitor are not a concern. It seems like the only comments I can find are for the side bulkhead, which has more leg room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.