Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The early 2019 787-8 retrofit standardizes 788 seating at C20, W28, Y186 (of which 42 are MCE)

AA begins selling Premium Economy tickets as if 1 May (if not before) on the 787-8.

787-8 Current Status as of 24 April April 2019: NO J28 788s left in service, refit completed.:

Refitting took two weeks per airframe, and two were in the shop at Paine Field at any one time. N800AN was the test article / prototype (PAE Sep 2018), N816AA was the last (returned to service 24 Apr 2019).

here[/u] for fairly current listings.

All Boeing 787-8 have Premium Economy as of 24 April 2019.
All Boeing 787-9 have Premium Economy “out of the box”.

The Rockwell Collins MiQ seat has been selected. This is also the domestic (newly renamed) Business seat in narrowbodies, with added drop down footpegs (foot and leg rest in bulkhead rows), seatback IFE, non-moveable head rests.

Link to AA Premium Economy page.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
The center bulkhead is farther forward than sides. I just flew in bulkhead, but not center, and the row next to us was forward from us but they had the same foot space as us.
Brilliant, thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I haven't flown on a 788 PE, but a A332 in PE, there is no storage space for all the pillow and bedding you get, and after a 7 hour flight my bum was numb, the seats look comfortable but to me they really aren't.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP.
would you rather take a middle seat PE or MCE window?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:42 am
Suspended

This discussion needs splitting and combining

Moderators, I think this discussion needs splitting and combining. The modification period is over and there does not seem to be a massive flow of new 788’s with front facing seats.

Equally there are two very distinct groups. Those are interested in the Business Cabin and those who are interested in the Premium offering in Economy.

So for me, and I suspect many others, the comparison is between the cabin of a particular class business or coach or first, across equipment rather than across classes on same plane.

Can we realize these accordingly into F/J, PE and MCE and Basic Main Cabin for AA Long Haul Equipment; 777W, 772, 789, 788, 763, 332 and I suppose 752 TATL.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
well only 1 seat in each row (out of 7) is a middle seat as it is 2-3-2. If all that’s left is the middle seats id definitely take it if it was bulkhead. Still very likely if it wasn’t
Amil likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Amil
I'd take PE middle seat 100% over MCE window. I'd also watch the seat map in the days leading up to departure to move to an aisle/window if/when another PE passenger upgrades or cancels their flight.
Amil likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:07 pm

I've flown J and PE both in the 788. I flew J for 12 hours from LAX to Auckland. I found the lie flat a bit narrow, and many people say the Zodiac fit in the 788/789 vs 77W/772 require the narrow/coffin-like feel.

I flew 6 hours from DFW to ANC in PE.

My main gripe about PE is the lack of a real footrest. My wife didn't mind the little fold-out metal bar in the non-bulkhead PE rows, but she is also 5'5". I'm 5'11" and my legs would be propped up like I was going on a rollercoaster ride or something wonky. I've been thinking about booking another ticket back to Auckland, and in PE @ bulkhead this time..holding out hope that the foot rest there is more comfortable. Very few people comment on it being extended further for 5'10"+ and whether it was comfortable.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Never flown on 772 since removal of F Cabin. Fly 788/789 TATL to ORD and 77W TATL to LAX/DFW/JFK. Normally J, occasionally F. Funny thing in the 788/789, the narrower aisles and the claustrophobia of high walls makes it feel cramped compared to 77W but in lie flat I do not find much difference, at 6’5” and not exactly athletic body shape, I find it surprising. Only real difference, 77W business I can lie down with slippers on 788 I cannot but can on 789. On 788 I do like the squab tilt as it enables you to recline and take some relief from your back. Either way, pleased with modern fleet. Still not sold on minibuses to Hawaii though they are miles better than the old 757’s.

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:24 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:23 pm

seat recline in PEY

I'm booked on ATH-ORD in PEY and can't seem to find any information on the seat recline, in terms of degrees or inches. Do anyone know? (For instance, on SQ, it's supposed to be 8 inches.) Is the seat comfortable for sleeping (e.g. not too hard)?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I'm booked on ATH-ORD in PEY and can't seem to find any information on the seat recline, in terms of degrees or inches. Do anyone know? (For instance, on SQ, it's supposed to be 8 inches.) Is the seat comfortable for sleeping (e.g. not too hard)?
I’m not sure about exact recline measured in inches but it’s very noticeable when hi are reclined and you can sleep somewhat comfortably. It’s very similar to domestic first class. Seat is not hard and it’s way better than regular economy seat but of course nowhere near as good as lay flat biz seat
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
I’m not sure about exact recline measured in inches but it’s very noticeable when hi are reclined and you can sleep somewhat comfortably. It’s very similar to domestic first class. Seat is not hard and it’s way better than regular economy seat but of course nowhere near as good as lay flat biz seat
I just called AA, and they told me the recline is 6 inches, which is on the low end. Other airlines have 6 to 8 inches of seat recline. Good to hear you find the recline sufficient, as that's the main factor for me regarding my ability to doze off in flight.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:02 pm

I just called AA, and they told me the recline is 6 inches, which is on the low end. Other airlines have 6 to 8 inches of seat recline. Good to hear you find the recline sufficient, as that's the main factor for me regarding my ability to doze off in flight.
Just to give an example - when I’m reclined all the way I find it hard to eat a meal and I place the seat in the upright position to eat my meal and recline back after so i can sleep. I find it comfortable to sleep. Also I think DL, UA and AA all have the exact PE seat.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
Just to give an example - when I’m reclined all the way I find it hard to eat a meal and I place the seat in the upright position to eat my meal and recline back after so i can sleep. I find it comfortable to sleep. Also I think DL, UA and AA all have the exact PE seat.
Interesting you brought up DL's PEY, as that is my only point of reference at the moment (not having flown in any other PEY product for now). I love DL's PEY's soft product: great service, video programming, and F&B; however the seat recline is not generous at all and didn't allow me to sleep. So I wouldn't choose DL's PEY product for a night flight in the future. I'll have to do more research to see if DL, UA & AA's PEY seats all offer the same amount of recline, unless someone knows for sure...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:52 pm

Interesting you brought up DL's PEY, as that is my only point of reference at the moment (not having flown in any other PEY product for now). I love DL's PEY's soft product: great service, video programming, and F&B; however the seat recline is not generous at all and didn't allow me to sleep. So I wouldn't choose DL's PEY product for a night flight in the future. I'll have to do more research to see if DL, UA & AA's PEY seats all offer the same amount of recline, unless someone knows for sure...
I would say it’s the same recline for DL and AA since it’s the same seat pitch. I don’t think you can recline any further since it’s already not easy to get out of the seat when person in front of you is reclined. It is still more comfortable than economy. I usually try to do red eye to Europe in PE and biz on the way back since it’s slightly longer flight and i can’t sleep well on red eyes anyway.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Late reply about espresso...

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's standard offering in J on the 789.
On my TPAC 789 flights, the FA's told me AA doesn't cater the the TPAC flights for espresso (except HKG). Despite the machine being installed, no cups or pods were on board. I assume she meant Asia destinations, NRT/HND, ICN, PEK, PVG and not SYD, AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.