Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Who among us regularly buys first class seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who among us regularly buys first class seats?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm happy to pay for FC on Delta....not on AA.
Really have you flown on the ex NW A319/320s?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
I'll buy F for westbound transcon trips like CLT-LAX, where upgrades seem to be few and far between. I'm usually making the trip after a long work week, and it can be worth it to either a) relax or b) have more space to wrap up work before the weekend.

I'll also pay for J eastbound to Europe, usually trying for a longer flight out of CLT or ORD. Getting a lie-flat seat makes a big difference in how much sleep I get on the trip, and thus whether I "lose" my first day catching up on sleep. It also starts the trip off on the right foot, putting me in a better mood, and I end up enjoying the rest of my time there more. But that's getting harder to justify these days, as the up-charge on AA seems to be a lot more than it often was on US.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yes I have
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM/360 2.8MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Quote:

Yes I have
Me too... Many, many times... And I'd definitely rather be in F on that airplane (even though it stinks) than in Y (where it is downright awful).
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Agreed, my last paid F ticket on Delta was on an A-320 followed by an A-319 and it was well worth it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Me too... Many, many times... And I'd definitely rather be in F on that airplane (even though it stinks) than in Y (where it is downright awful).
When I was flying DL because of price, yes, it was nice to be in F, but the pitch is horrible, I just adjusted my times and took a CR-900 which was better.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Many in first do these days

My rate of upgrades is very low, even as an EXP. As an informal poll, I have been asking those when I am in first if they bought tickets in first, and most have said yes. Besides having more elites after the merger and late in the year, I think tough upgrades are also because more are buying first class tickets.

Phil
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Fortunately these are pretty easily avoidable at DL. Having flown them though, I'd say they're pretty much on par with the pmUS Airbuses.

I used to purchase F on AA, I don't anymore unless it's really a good deal. I'll purchase F on UA or DL which usually is a much better deal than AA, but I've found FCM on both of those airlines works pretty well and allows me to jump the elite request line for not a very high increase in price. For me it all depends on the equipment, price, and stage length though.

I'll purchase F on VX pretty much anytime. That to me is a great product and well worth the money.

For intercontinental, I'll purchase J and F in the vast majority of scenarios. I don't even bother pricing out US airlines for these flights anymore though, as I'm just not interested.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
My group's policy is anything over 4 hours is paid... economy. Same thing with anything over 8, 12, or 16 hours. I'm surprised to hear that so many people have paid J through company policy.

We've received paid J as a gift before for coming out on very short notice or for travelling over holidays, but never regularly.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
My group's policy is anything over 4 hours is paid... economy. Same thing with anything over 8, 12, or 16 hours. I'm surprised to hear that so many people have paid J through company policy.

We've received paid J as a gift before for coming out on very short notice or for travelling over holidays, but never regularly.
I am my company. So I create the policy...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My group's policy is anything over 4 hours is paid... economy. Same thing with anything over 8, 12, or 16 hours.
Mine too, but it's still a step above a previous employer that wouldn't let me accrue miles for my own use.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:36 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Ours is 6+ hours and to a destination outside of North America. For "shuttle" routes between our 3 largest site (all within 50 mins flight) the company has daily shuttle flights on weekdays using our corporate jets (seats 12 or 15, not sure), but priority is based on pay grade.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cmd320
Fortunately these are pretty easily avoidable at DL. Having flown them though, I'd say they're pretty much on par with the pmUS Airbuses.
Between PHX-SLC DL was flying those exNW airbus, your right it wasn't hard to miss them, but they do fly them during the most convent times. So not to fly them means one has to fly mid morning then sit in SLC for a couple of hour for your connection.

When it comes to paid F, there are deals at there, one just has to look for them. Just finished my mileage runs PHX-DFW-PHX was able to get RT FC for $289 with tax on AA.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
I'm happy to pay for FC on Delta....not on AA.
I would be happy to do this too, but everywhere I would fly on Delta would be a snack basket plus a connection. Guess AA will continue to get blood from this turnip.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive

well, our policy just changed to reflect yours with exception of trips to Australia. Those are still J, everything else is now economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.