FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Who among us regularly buys first class seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1729526-who-among-us-regularly-buys-first-class-seats.html)

ibrandsguest Dec 6, 2015 2:58 pm

Who among us regularly buys first class seats?

Out of curiosity, how many people who have elite status with AA regularly buy first class seats?

I've had several trips lately where the cost of a first class seat was the same as coach, or not more than $50 higher than the cost of a coach seat plus the deemed price of the 500-mile upgrades that would be needed to upgrade (treating them as worth $30 each). In those situations, I've definitely bought first class seats, since $50 to avoid the chance of not being upgraded, plus bonus miles, seems like a good move.

Any others? If so, what's your typical calculation that you use when deciding to buy a coach seat and upgrade or buy a first class seat?

Thanks.

bruceba Dec 6, 2015 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 25822654)
Out of curiosity, how many people who have elite status with AA regularly buy first class seats?

I've had several trips lately where the cost of a first class seat was the same as coach, or not more than $50 higher than the cost of a coach seat plus the deemed price of the 500-mile upgrades that would be needed to upgrade (treating them as worth $30 each). In those situations, I've definitely bought first class seats, since $50 to avoid the chance of not being upgraded, plus bonus miles, seems like a good move.

Any others? If so, what's your typical calculation that you use when deciding to buy a coach seat and upgrade or buy a first class seat?

Thanks.

My destinations of choice usually cost 25% or so more for business. I buy Business class for those prices. I will not disclose my destinations because it may cause a change.

FlyingLaw Dec 6, 2015 3:16 pm

I do sometimes. Depends. If its a route I wouldn't normally request upgrades for I won't even bother. If its a route I would request upgrades for and the price of the F ticket is the same or close as the price of the ticket+the cost of upgrades I will usually book F. Also if its a special aircraft I try and book F (ex--> When AA was operating the 777 ORD-JFK). With the new EQM rules beginning my % of flights in Paid F will probably go up.

GeneralVeers Dec 6, 2015 3:17 pm

My company will only pay for economy, so I'm reliant on upgrades for those.

When I book personal travel, I will generally buy First class provided it's reasonable. Especially on long-distance flights.

Most of my flights are LAX-LAS where the premium from economy to first is $50-$75 which I will usually pay. I'm usually connecting to First class award flights from LAX so it's worth it to maintain the First Class experience all the way.

FAA1996 Dec 6, 2015 3:18 pm

I would say I buy 75% of my flights in J, 10% in Domestic F, and 15% in Y. 8d really rather not deal with upgrade roulette for long haul flights. I use my miles and upgrades for my travel companions /family
Every time I've gotten EXP has been points, not miles...

GeneralVeers Dec 6, 2015 3:44 pm

Agreed with not playing roulette for long-haul. Anything more than 3 hours I either will buy F or use an SWU.

For international I will either buy economy and use a guaranteed SWU, or for J I'll book a partner airline. No way I would pay for J on ANY U.S. airline when foreign competitors are much better for similar price (often less).

metallo Dec 6, 2015 6:04 pm

I buy F... on other airlines. I rarely do so on AA. That's mainly due to my EXP status and good comp UPG percentage, but also because domestic F on AA often isn't worth the premium.

Austin787 Dec 6, 2015 6:25 pm

I buy F if the flight is longer than 4 hours and the price is comparable to the Y price + sticker upgrade cost. Especially if the plane has the international J seats (ie 763 or 777).

MADPhil Dec 6, 2015 6:49 pm

I have taken to buying F/J (discounted) if it is reasonable, e.g. I just paid 6.6c per mile extra today for flights on which upgrades can be hard to get. It is worth it to me for the extra BA TPs or now for the AA EQMs apart from the extra space and other amenities.

CPRich Dec 6, 2015 7:06 pm

I have a paid F flight tomorrow morning, so I guess I can clock in at regularly buying one every 25 years or so. Actually, I think I booked one other a few years ago, but had to cancel and used the residual on a coach fare.

I was traveling last minute, and F was $28 more on a 3 hour flight, so I splurged.

Centurion Dec 6, 2015 7:16 pm

If I can not get certain seats in economy that are better than F I often will pay. I am not an alcohol drinker and the food AA has on domestic AA stinks. AA 77W biz seems to have fantastic food. It could just be IFE that makes everything seem good.

vasantn Dec 6, 2015 8:37 pm

If it's $100-$150 more (one-way) and the sticker upgrade looks iffy, I will splurge for F. It's cheaper than 15K miles plus $75. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common.

UAPremierGuy Dec 6, 2015 9:51 pm

I do. Count me as foolish, but the added seat comfort, service, food and amenities are worth the premium to me. YMMV.

Col Ronson Dec 6, 2015 9:56 pm

My company will pay for J or domestic F for certain length flights/time periods (i.e. overnights/redeyes or 4+ hours etc).

For personal i will pay for first if the difference is less than double the coach fare.

International i always pay for J and try to SWU to F because ill never subject myself to the horrors of international economy.

embarcadero1 Dec 6, 2015 10:02 pm

I pay for domestic F and international J. I use the SWUs to upgrade to first internationally.

I won't claim it's good use of money but I just can't stand the way airlines treat people in economy. F and J aren't always fantastic but Y is almost always awful.