Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying from DFW to YYZ in January: which route would you take?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver

I need some help making a wise decision here... I have EXP status on AA, but nothing on any other airline.

Am attending a wedding in YYZ on a Sunday late Jan, and the event starts around 4:30. Can't leave Sat, so Sunday morning flights my only option. Which seems least risky?

1. Direct DFW to YYZ departs 10:30 arrive 2:30. Direct flight, but if any delay would be late to event.

2. DFW-ORD (5:10 AM dep), 1 hour connect, ORD-YYZ arrive 11:45 AM: This seems ok, but am I crazy to risk ORD in Jan?

3. DFW-IAH-YYZ depart 6:30, 1 hour connection, arrive 11:15. Have no status on UA/AC if anything goes wrong.

I'm leaning towards #2, and if weather seems bad or there are problems maybe my EXP status would help me switch to #1 if entire itin got cancelled.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: WFBF
From ORD on AA you'll be riding a regional jet of some sort. So you're running a real risk there: in the event of any kind of inclement weather, or even just a bit of congestion (which, y'know, is every day at ORD), every mainline aircraft will be ahead of you in line for every service needed to get off the ground, since the RJs get the short end of everything.

So if it were me I'd go with the direct flight, or try doing UA since they partner with AC which will have a lot more capacity to YYZ.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
You could also look at DFW-CLT-YYZ. Gets you into YYZ around 11:30. Less chance of weather delays. BUT if you do misconnect you dont get in until 4:30....
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
#4: AC7664 nonstop dep. DFW 06:15 arr. YYZ 10:05.

(oops, not on Sundays, disregard)
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
How late is your Saturday commitment? Take AA2293 to DCA at 7:55 pm on Sat, then a morning flight to get to YYZ by noon?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
You could also take the 5:15AM DFW-CLT-BUF and drive across the border. It gets in to BUF at 11am.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Assuming all schedules are the same for all "Sunday[s] late Jan" (I'm confused by your obfuscation of dates when you're asking for advice clearly you know when your event is...), I'd probably book DFW-ORD-YYZ on the earliest flights I could, and have a pocketful of backup options at the ready. Book the earliest DFW-ORD you can stomach for a comfortable ORD layover, and if ORD-YYZ looks to be in doubt, ask about being booked on UA or AC if they're still flying. If those bust out, look at BUF and a rental car. If you get to DFW and ORD looks like a total disaster, ask to be moved to the non-stop. If that busts out, you can try YKF and hire a car from there if necessary.

Obviously the best option would be to arrive a day early and enjoy the Toronto weather in January, but it seems that's not an option so this is how I'd roll if I had to fly the same day. I wouldn't book directly on UA or AC for reasons you state; if you need to be signed over to them fine, but stay with AA until you have to get signed over to have the best treatment and most options.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Jimmy28
You could also take the 5:15AM DFW-CLT-BUF and drive across the border. It gets in to BUF at 11am.
As someone who grew up outside of BUF and now lives in DFW, I would not recommend this unless you know how to drive in snow. Especially if you luck out and there is also a storm in the Buffalo area that day.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
OP here, thanks for all the replies. My trip is on Sunday Jan 31, so bad luck that's the day AC doesn't offer the early direct.

Still a bit torn what to do, but leaning towards DFW-ORD-YYZ since being AA EXP I should have most flexibility in case of bad weather.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The probability of significant snow in CHI on any single day in January is small, although a few storms over the course of the whole month are likely. One has to question how much inconvenience you'll accept trying to avoid that low probability.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

I'd go with the direct route. leaves little room for error but if things do go bad you are in a better spot.

mainline vs regional if connecting

for the direct flight, three potential issues, maintenance, crew / plane availability and weather in yyz. if yyz goes into a ground stop before you take off, the ord connection would be impacted as well as you are leaving at similar times, but the ord flight could be worse off as the inbound is likely similarly affected. also problems with ord weather would be more problematic.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
How far is your event from YYZ? I.e. How quickly do you need to clear customs and how much time do you need for ground transport? On time performance for 2267 is decent 90% on time with average 18m delay so if it were me I would probably go for the direct.

I flew in to Toronto earlier this year on a SFO YYZ non stop on AC which ended up being super expensive compared to connecting flights on American or delta because I only had about 60 minutes after landing to get downtown if I took AA or DL. I was so glad I did as that morning was foggy and they were diverting/cancelling/delaying all the flights that I would have taken via DTW, CVG, ORD and PHL. The other folks flying in for the same meeting from the east coast never made it. Well one did, 3 hours late because his flight diverted to YKF and then he got a car.

Personally I have found YYZ customs pretty fast, YMMV of course. Have fun at the wedding!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I would try to connect via jfk and fly on the LAN 777 to YYZ. But for your description, I would go for the nonstop from DFW if the timing works.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by dylanks
I would try to connect via jfk and fly on the LAN 777 to YYZ.
It's a great idea but unfortunately AA's only daily DFW-JFK flight arrives too late for the OP's event, and LA doesn't operate a JFK-YYZ flight that day (does that flight even still exist?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.