Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (specific) passport policy / policies (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines (specific) Passport Policies

For general passport discussion that is not specifically pertinent to AA policies, please visit the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum (link).

For country visa and entry requirements, AA employees consult IATA's TIMATIC system for the decision to allow you to fly. You can consult TIMATIC as well:

Link (IATA Travel Centre)

Link (United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

AA (specific) passport policy / policies (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Schengen area states require 90 days validity after your exit date. As long as you have your return ticketed, you should be fine.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dukenupe
I have searched and not found an answer for this. I am traveling to a country in Europe that only requires 90 days of passport validity from the date of exit from the country. My passport (US) is valid for 5 months after departure but I see a statement on the AA international travel page saying that 6 months of validity is required. Will I have issues boarding if I meet the passport requirements for the country I am visiting but only have 5 months of passport validity left?
We have merged your question in the sole thread regarding passport and visa questions, inasmuch as they’re AA related.

Rather than accept our answers, I’d recommend using one of the links in the Wikipost to a IATA TIMATIC page, fill in your specific data and see what TIMATIC renders. TIMATIC is what the airlines use to decide if you’ll be allowed to fly or not.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by dukenupe
I have searched and not found an answer for this. I am traveling to a country in Europe that only requires 90 days of passport validity from the date of exit from the country. My passport (US) is valid for 5 months after departure but I see a statement on the AA international travel page saying that 6 months of validity is required. Will I have issues boarding if I meet the passport requirements for the country I am visiting but only have 5 months of passport validity left?
Good rundown of what it is to go Schengening here from those who would know: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../schengen.html.

TL;DR, traveling abroad with less than six months left on your passport (at time of entry) is a roll of the dice (key point: "Border officials often assume you will stay the maximum 90 days, even if this is not your intention."). You may have no problems, you may be prevented from boarding, and (worst case) you may be allowed to board and then refused entry. If at all possible, the safest plan is just to renew your passport before it becomes an issue.

This all assumes that the European country you're visiting is part of the Schengen Area; if it's not, all bets are off.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NavSTL
Good rundown of what it is to go Schengening here from those who would know: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../schengen.html.

TL;DR, traveling abroad with less than six months left on your passport (at time of entry) is a roll of the dice (key point: "Border officials often assume you will stay the maximum 90 days, even if this is not your intention."). You may have no problems, you may be prevented from boarding, and (worst case) you may be allowed to board and then refused entry. If at all possible, the safest plan is just to renew your passport before it becomes an issue.

This all assumes that the European country you're visiting is part of the Schengen Area; if it's not, all bets are off.
First, I would not assume the US State Dept data to be the best source. The best source of entry requirements would be from the country being visited
Of course, that doesn't matter if AA is going to apply their own rules
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by mvoight
of course, that doesn't matter if aa is going to apply their own rules
^^​​​​​​​^​​​​​​​^​​​​​​​^​​​​​​​^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.