Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (specific) passport policy / policies (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines (specific) Passport Policies

For general passport discussion that is not specifically pertinent to AA policies, please visit the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum (link).

For country visa and entry requirements, AA employees consult IATA's TIMATIC system for the decision to allow you to fly. You can consult TIMATIC as well:

Link (IATA Travel Centre)

Link (United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

AA (specific) passport policy / policies (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Helen F
I am afraid I will freak out my partner with the news that we need to get a new passport before we go. I can hear it now ("I have too many deadlines looming, to take any extra days off before we go away!!!") I will see if I get a satisfactory answer from AA CS, and if not, I'll introduce the news gently: "Your passport is on the roof, and it won't come down...." We'll get it done, if we have to.
Just renew by mail. Get the PDF on line, fill it out, print it out and sign. Then put it all in the mail, certified. You can do it all for your partner, except sign.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Just renew by mail. Get the PDF on line, fill it out, print it out and sign. Then put it all in the mail, certified. You can do it all for your partner, except sign.
I know one other thing I can't do -- sit for the passport picture!

It'll be cutting it close to do it by mail (we're leaving 4 weeks from Saturday). I know their site says if we mail it in and pay for expedited service, we'll have the new one in 2-3 weeks, but it will be mighty nerve-wracking waiting for it to arrive. (Edit -- scratch that -- it's 3 weeks from Saturday.)

I got interested in this topic because a friend was caught unawares recently and was unable to check in to her flight to Europe on United -- they said she could have traveled if she'd still had at least 3 months' validity remaining on her passport.

United's approach (on their site) seems much more sensible. Instead of making their own rule, as AA does, they put the burden fully on the traveler to verify that they have valid documents. They do provide a link to IATA/timatic. They don't impose any arbitrary minimums of their own. I don't see how AA benefits from putting it the way they do. IMO it just leads to unnecessary confusion.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I know one other thing I can't do -- sit for the passport picture!
True!
Old May 10, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I tried running my info (passport expires >3 months after our return to the US) in a version of TIMATIC that was linked in some thread or other, and it said my documentation was fine.
If Timatic said that you were fine, then you should be fine. Your passport's expiration date will be automatically verified during check-in and if Timatic is now showing only a 3-month validity requiring instead of 6 months, that is what AA will be governed by.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

United's approach (on their site) seems much more sensible. Instead of making their own rule, as AA does, they put the burden fully on the traveler to verify that they have valid documents. They do provide a link to IATA/timatic. They don't impose any arbitrary minimums of their own. I don't see how AA benefits from putting it the way they do. IMO it just leads to unnecessary confusion.
AA don't; they rely on Timatic. But some countries require you have a passport validity an long as six months past the last date you can be admitted for according to your destination country's visa / admittance requirements.

You can access Timatic as well; Google: United Airlines Visa Health and you'll find it easily.

The problem at AA occurs when an agent ignores Timatic or misinterprets it.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
If Timatic said that you were fine, then you should be fine. Your passport's expiration date will be automatically verified during check-in and if Timatic is now showing only a 3-month validity requiring instead of 6 months, that is what AA will be governed by.
The problem is not with Timatic, but with the GA being able to decipher what portions apply to your case and if they need to keep reading to find the right section.

Since AA flies to such a smaller subset of locations covered in Timatic, it would seem a simple decision table specific to the airports involved would meet the needs of over 80% of the travellers. And maybe save AA a bunch of time and money. Maybe a good intern project or something.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA don't; they rely on Timatic. But some countries require you have a passport validity an long as six months past the last date you can be admitted for according to your destination country's visa / admittance requirements.

You can access Timatic as well; Google: United Airlines Visa Health and you'll find it easily.

The problem at AA occurs when an agent ignores Timatic or misinterprets it.
Yes, thanks, I've reviewed United's site, and checked my dates on their link to Timatic, as I did with American's. And, no surprise, got the same result.

But to my original point: is it so surprising that a traveler with say, 5 months left on their passport from their intended return date, would be concerned, reading the language on American's site, that they would be denied boarding on their outgoing flight? Why bother stating that passengers must have at least six months left on their passports, if that's not the rule they're following?
Old May 12, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Thanks. I reached that same conclusion not long after I finished posting on Tuesday. Timatic says I'm good to go, Spain's website says the same, etc. I decided to stay calm and carry on.

I often find it easy to get caught up in worrying, especially when planning a trip. I suspect I'm not alone in that. But I finally realized it was a waste of my time to keep seeking absolute assurances that things will be fine. I'm pretty darn sure that they will, and I can live with that.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The problem is not with Timatic, but with the GA being able to decipher what portions apply to your case and if they need to keep reading to find the right section.

Since AA flies to such a smaller subset of locations covered in Timatic, it would seem a simple decision table specific to the airports involved would meet the needs of over 80% of the travellers. And maybe save AA a bunch of time and money. Maybe a good intern project or something.

As of about two years ago, the documentation requirements are now automatically checked and most simple check-ins, such as what the OP was inquiring about, no longer require the agent to manually query and interpret Timatic.

I don't think AA would be willing to implement their own decision table because it would keep them from being able to blame Timatic if a documentation issue arises.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:19 pm

In case anyone comes across this thread and wonders what my outcome was, I can report that there was no issue whatsoever with my SO's passport having only four months left on it when we took our trip.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

Sounds like I may be skating on thin ice? I travel AA nearly weekly to Montreal Canada from Ohare/Chicago. Last two trips, the gate agent mentions my passport expiring soon, but I have never been denied boarding.

Expiry is middle of September. Have not sent in for renewal yet as the project I am on is expected to be complete at the end of July. Yeek. Would hate to get to ORD and then find out I cant fly.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
You can go to the passport office in Chicago and get a new passport the same day. It'll cost you a $60 expedite fee, but was extremely worth it imo.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by shaferz
Sounds like I may be skating on thin ice? I travel AA nearly weekly to Montreal Canada from Ohare/Chicago. Last two trips, the gate agent mentions my passport expiring soon, but I have never been denied boarding.

Expiry is middle of September. Have not sent in for renewal yet as the project I am on is expected to be complete at the end of July. Yeek. Would hate to get to ORD and then find out I cant fly.
Looks like you should be just fine for travel to Canada. You just need your passport to be valid when you enter. https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ry/canada.html
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Why play "games" with an airline, if your PP is within 6 months of expiring, get a NEW one, losing 6 months value is not a huge expense (especially if you have to deal with a GA that won't let you on the plane...you might miss your trip.)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:24 pm

Passport Question

I have searched and not found an answer for this. I am traveling to a country in Europe that only requires 90 days of passport validity from the date of exit from the country. My passport (US) is valid for 5 months after departure but I see a statement on the AA international travel page saying that 6 months of validity is required. Will I have issues boarding if I meet the passport requirements for the country I am visiting but only have 5 months of passport validity left?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.