FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1725574-aadvantage-changes-2016-discussion-reaction-poll.html)

GrandMoffJoseph Nov 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 25729989)
Interesting--as I read through the posts so far--no threatened mass migration.

Not being snarky, but where would any of us go even if we wanted to leave? SWA is no better than a greyhound bus, and Alaska's network isn't big enough.

I think what we'll see isn't a mass migration, but more a mass divorce from loyalty in general. There's absolutely no point anymore if you're not a frequent biz traveler and/or a jet setter.

SafeFlyer Nov 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_1) AppleWebKit/601.2.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.1 Safari/601.2.7)

Originally Posted by Madone59
At least there is no minimum spend for status!!

When you include the credit card spend waiver in the lack of a minimum spend really that big a deal? It seems like AA decided to "innovate" in that regard. ...I wish they would have copied the minimum spend and thought more about the other "enhancements."

Safe Travels

PolarRoute Nov 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 25730011)
At least there is no minimum spend for status!!

For now. Race. To. The. Bottom.

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers (Post 25730024)
Why would they put a minimum spend, the status has been devalued to the point where no sane person wants it anymore.

Precisely.

eponymous_coward Nov 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph (Post 25730026)
Not being snarky, but where would any of us go even if we wanted to leave? SWA is no better than a greyhound bus, and Alaska's network isn't big enough.

Not to mention the fact that WN arguably helped start this migration to revenue-based mileage earning with Rapid Rewards 2.0...

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Here's a laugh:

From the original merger announcement in 2013. Among the benefits for customers, this point:

Will Improve Loyalty Benefits by Expanding Member Opportunities to Earn and Redeem Miles
Haha!

GUWonder Nov 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 25730021)
Except it's not just USA-based airlines devaluing their charts, so that fails as an explanation. AC? Check. BA? Check. AF/KL? Check. LH? Check. AV? Check. NH? Check.

That's a lot of airlines that aren't AA/DL/UA who've devalued their award charts.

As for the ME 3, since a lot of people think that might be a saving grace... tell me, what EQM/RDM do you get on deep discount EK Y? (I'll help: not a lot.)

The whole industry is moving away from a model of "buy a ton of cheap Y and we'll treat you like royalty". The salad days of FT being a way to turn $99 transcons into Krug and caviar are going behind us. C'est la vie.

The frequency, scope and scale of the devaluations has not been consistent over time. Nor has it been consistent across different markets.

The US airline program loyalty market has had more competition until it came down to just the US3 for the most part. Those non-US airline program markets you bring into the discussion (and I've had an account with all of those for years too) have had less competition for far longer (when it comes to airline loyalty programs party to Oneworld/Skyteam/StarAlliance) than the US.

Less competition amongst loyalty programs --> worse devaluations for loyalty program customers? More so than not. And now AA is making that more clear too via this official announcement about the program changes next year.

GrandMoffJoseph Nov 17, 2015 3:14 pm

This would be a really good time to nix the restrictions that prevent non-US carriers from flying domestic routes here. The extra competition is needed now more than ever.

Passmethesickbag Nov 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 25730076)
Here's a laugh:

From the original merger announcement in 2013. Among the benefits for customers, this point:

Will Improve Loyalty Benefits by Expanding Member Opportunities to Earn and Redeem Miles

Haha!

Well they have been expanded. You need to fly a lot further to earn miles!

eponymous_coward Nov 17, 2015 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25730109)
The frequency, scope and scale of the devaluations has not been consistent over time. Nor has it been consistent across different markets.

The US airline program loyalty market has had more competition until it came down to just the US3 for the most part. Those non-US airline program markets you bring into the discussion (and I've had an account with all of those for years too) have had less competition for far longer (when it comes to airline loyalty programs party to Oneworld/Skyteam/StarAlliance) than the US.

Less competition amongst loyalty programs --> worse devaluations for loyalty program customers? More so than not. And now AA is making that more clear too via this official announcement about the program changes next year.

They have plenty of competition. Many of their customers are fleeing for FR, AK and U2. So, how exactly does one redeem for SQ F on AK, U2 or FR? Others are fleeing for the ME3... who also don't hand out 100% RDM on deep discount Y.

I still maintain the USA is catching up to where most of the world is as far as loyalty programs go; there's no need to treat someone like a god who buys cheap Y like anyone on Kayak, even if they buy it consistently from one supplier, because there's a lot of people who buy whatever's cheapest on Kayak. If you want to buy what's cheapest consistently from us, sure, we'll sell it to you, but don't expect a crown of laurels for it.

Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph (Post 25730133)
This would be a really good time to nix the restrictions that prevent non-US carriers from flying domestic routes here. The extra competition is needed now more than ever.

So you can earn 10% RDM on SQ or 25% on EK on a deep discount Y fare when they fly LAX-JFK ? LOL.

Look, this is simple; if you really want to fly the best product and disregard mileage acquisition... the door's open. It's been open for a while (VX, B6, etc.).

sdultra Nov 17, 2015 3:20 pm

My post on AA's Facebook page.....can you say FUMING MAD!!

As a 4+ million miler, who has been socking away miles to use once I stop flying for business, and a 16+ years Executive Platinum member, I am appalled at the upcoming mileage redemption changes just announced. As an example, today a 1st Class round trip award from US to Thailand is 135K miles. With your new award chart, it is now 220K miles. That is a mileage devaluation of over 40%, or a 60% increase in miles required for an equivalent award. Well, come the end of this year I will no longer be purchasing flights on AA, and start redeeming my now pillaged and ravaged 1.5 Million miles that I banked, which are now worth about half of what they were. You have lost a loyal and once dedicated customer.

ckendall Nov 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Sad to see both AA and SPG dumping me at the same time.

Is there any indication of what is happening to TATL cash + miles upgrades?

billgrates3 Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

new DISaadvantage program (my RDM calc for 2016)

So, I only spent ~$8K to achieve EXP this year. But I earned ~200K RDM. If I were PLT, ditto.

But if I did the same next year, I would earn ~88K RDM, a 56% devaluation.
Worse, if I were PLT, I would earn only ~64K RDM, a massive 68% devaluation from this year !!!

Then of course, the U awards to Europe now cost 15% more, but I'm betting virtually none of those will be available anyway.

!!NEW NAME FOR AA ffp: DISaadvantage

:td::td::td::td::td::td::td:

PolarRoute Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 25730029)
RDMs only will move to $$-based in the second half of 2016.

Right, so I am going to put all of my AA flying the first 1/2 of the year, and all my UA flights in the second half.

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 25730148)
Well they have been expanded. You need to fly a lot further to earn miles!

Haha! Get into business...You'll go far, my boy! ;)

GrandMoffJoseph Nov 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 25730171)
So you can earn 10% RDM on SQ or EK on LAX-JFK on a deep discount fare? LOL.

Well, I'd LOL if it was that stingy too. But, I'd propose a more attractive offer than that. Raise that to 50% minimum, higher for members with status in those carriers specifically. The point would be to use domestic offerings as a feeder mechanism to lock the customers in for long haul stuff.

For example: If BA offered me 50%+ RDMs to fly their metal around the USA (in addition to any RDMs I might normally earn flying them anywhere else), I'd likely go out of my way to fly BA metal on any overseas flight. They'd only be giving me a fractional RDM around the USA, but they'd stand a good chance of turning me into a dedicated longhaul customer.

That's the competition I was referring to.

PolarRoute Nov 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdultra (Post 25730184)
My post on AA's Facebook page.....can you say FUMING MAD!!

As a 4+ million miler, who has been socking away miles to use once I stop flying for business, and a 16+ years Executive Platinum member, I am appalled at the upcoming mileage redemption changes just announced. As an example, today a 1st Class round trip award from US to Thailand is 135K miles. With your new award chart, it is now 220K miles. That is a mileage devaluation of over 40%, or a 60% increase in miles required for an equivalent award. Well, come the end of this year I will no longer be purchasing flights on AA, and start redeeming my now pillaged and ravaged 1.5 Million miles that I banked, which are now worth about half of what they were. You have lost a loyal and once dedicated customer.

Yep.

Fanjet Nov 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers (Post 25730024)
Why would they put a minimum spend, the status has been devalued to the point where no sane person wants it anymore.

For anyone who thinks this, I suggest purchasing a domestic Y ticket on a carrier which you have no status on. Then get back to us with a trip report.

BThumme Nov 17, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm planning on switching to AA for next year. Will do lots of Mileage Running while it still means something, and hope to get EXP for a year. If they don't axe all the EXP benefits, maybe I'll stick around for another year. The way I see it, 11RDM always greater than 7/8 RDMs. I fly a lot, but super cheap (I've met the UA plat miles but not even gold dollars this year).

I just want to pile up some miles for a honeymoon trip on CX F. I'll always have the option to move back to united and status match to 1K if it gets bad.

JonNYC Nov 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25730262)
For anyone who thinks this, I suggest purchasing a domestic Y ticket on a carrier which you have no status on. Then get back to us with a trip report.

Amen-- It can be *highly* dispiriting experience!

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Such a pax would have to wait to board with his/her group, instead of getting priority boarding. They would have to pay for checked baggage. However, both of these could be gotten with a credit card.

The pax won't get to sit in E+ without spending a few tens of dollars. Also, if things go south, they'll have to fight it out like everyone else.

You act like this is the same as being sent to state prison for 5-15.

fly747first Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 25729711)
That there is currently no 1st class option, does not mean that there never can be. Seems more sensible to have a price defined rather than not have any option to redeem should it become available

When was the last time that QF sold F to Hawaii? What AA is doing is very misleading, as there is no way that QF is going to deploy a 4-class A380 to a leisure market like Hawaii and you need an A380 for F on QF (the last two 744s with F will be retired soon and are often flown to markets where F isn't sold).

GNRMatt Nov 17, 2015 3:41 pm

To me, the EQM earnings on partner airlines, especially Alaska, is one of the biggest losses, and will make it harder for many people to re-earn status levels.

Phasers Nov 17, 2015 3:42 pm

You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.

PolarRoute Nov 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 25730287)
I'm planning on switching to AA for next year. Will do lots of Mileage Running while it still means something, and hope to get EXP for a year. If they don't axe all the EXP benefits, maybe I'll stick around for another year. The way I see it, 11RDM always greater than 7/8 RDMs. I fly a lot, but super cheap (I've met the UA plat miles but not even gold dollars this year).

I just want to pile up some miles for a honeymoon trip on CX F. I'll always have the option to move back to united and status match to 1K if it gets bad.

UA won't match to 1K. I did it to get started again on UA (I had flown them and Continental) and get my million miles. As long-time EXP they matched me right away - to PLT. Wasn't too bad. 30% hit rate on domestic upgrades, but no overseas bumps up. RDMs were fine until UA followed the example set by DL.

GUWonder Nov 17, 2015 3:47 pm

AA's moving more and more toward the DL model when it comes to the loyalty program for retail customers. And the results there aren't so pretty unless your regular paid flying is mostly represented by something like passengers flying in flexible business class from the East Coast to Europe. But even there the goal seems to be to fluff up the elite ranks so that churning of the FFP customers resulting from the gutting of program participation benefits isn't all that problematic for the airline.

PolarRoute Nov 17, 2015 3:47 pm

I think that I will have to start opening and closing (after 13 months) some credit card accounts....the ones with "30,000 RDM bonus...etc."

A few of those a year might make up for the loss of RDMs with the new system.

Phasers Nov 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by PolarRoute (Post 25730350)
UA won't match to 1K. I did it to get started again on UA (I had flown them and Continental) and get my million miles. As long-time EXP they matched me right away - to PLT. Wasn't too bad. 30% hit rate on domestic upgrades, but no overseas bumps up. RDMs were fine until UA followed the example set by DL.

Perhaps OP has a corporate status match available? I know I can match my EXP status to 1K through my corporate travel dept.

pfountain Nov 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PolarRoute (Post 25730244)
Yep.

I am in practically the same situation. Unfortunately my company does not allow me to purchase biz class tickets, only lowest fare. So now I am screwed all the way around as what I have been managing to save up is worth a whole lot less, and the long trips I have to endure at the low rates will not amount to many miles even at EP level.

Let's face it, AA doesn't really care about the frequent flyers that kept flying with them through thick and thin. It's all a race to the bottom of the barrel :td:

lhl12 Nov 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny (Post 25729664)
Ok. Help explain this to me. Why would someone that always buys first class tickets care about obtaining executive platinum.

If you always want to fly First, but want to spend as little as necessary to do so, then I can imagine being willing to pay enough for first class tickets to get to EXP as early in the year as possible, then for the rest of the year purchase coach tickets and be ahead of all the PLT's for upgrades. You're a lot more likely to get the upgrade as EXP than PLT.

kingarthur Nov 17, 2015 3:53 pm

As a discount Y flyer for both personal and business, I am getting hit by at least 50% on my RDM earning, and another 40% on the back end when I redeem.

That's a 70% devaluation for a LT Gold who actually flies the airline regularly and likes the occasional F trip as a reward. Even if I want to take my wife for a long weekend in Hong Kong in J class, I'm getting dinged for an extra 60,000 miles RT. If I was EXP, then my biggest benefit just got devalued 50% (only 4 SWUs).

It seems to me that the <redacted> either can't do math or they just plan on churning Citi cards even faster.

Fanjet Nov 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers (Post 25730327)
You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.

The CC allows you to standby for free?

Phasers Nov 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by pfountain (Post 25730383)
Let's face it, AA doesn't really care about the frequent flyers that kept flying with them through thick and thin. It's all a race to the bottom of the barrel :td:

Exactly.

I'm curious how many react like me and just stop flying as much or being loyal when I do fly. I don't see 2nd half 2016 being a good year for the airlines.

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25730424)
The CC allows you to standby for free?

That's true, but most people don't fly standby on a regular basis (who would?). It's like bag fees, MCE fees, etc...--something you pay for as you need it.

Fanjet Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by pfountain (Post 25730383)

Tell us. When AA was bleeding billions of dollars in cash, which benefits did you offer to forego in order to help save the company money?

spark787 Nov 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Looks like Alaska is literally the last frontier when it comes to frequent flyer programs!

Glad I'm near AS hubs.

Fanjet Nov 17, 2015 4:02 pm

...I'm a reAAlist. The industry has changed several times over the past few decades. This is just another one of many. The era of being able to get 1 free roundtrip award ticket by flying two really cheap Y tickets is over. And it ain't coming back.

GUWonder Nov 17, 2015 4:05 pm

I've done it, and it's not the end of the world. And with the a la carte selling of priority benefits, discounted sales of premium cabin space to even the elite status-less, and non-elite-status means to access the lounges, the great difference was the value of miles earned from flying for use for "free" flights. But now that difference is being diminished too.

lobo411 Nov 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25730443)
Tell us. When AA was bleeding billions of dollars in cash, which benefits did you offer to forego in order to help save the company money?

The FAs and pilots did just that--they took massive pay/benefit cuts to save the company. And they did save the company, with their sacrifice. And management rewarded them by bending them over a table, like we are.

Loyalty runs one way when it comes to ... modern American corporations.

Phasers Nov 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25730455)
I'm not. I'm a reAAlist. The industry has changed several times over the past few decades. This is just another one of many. The era of being able to get 1 free roundtrip award ticket by flying two really cheap Y tickets is over. And it ain't coming back.

...And the era of my loyalty to AA is gone as well, after 26 years.

Also I think you overestimate the amount of people who spend 3 straight days on a plane just to earn miles.

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 25730443)

I kept flying AA, even with no status at times. Also, it's not my responsibility to ensure their profitability.