FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1725574-aadvantage-changes-2016-discussion-reaction-poll.html)

JDiver Nov 17, 2015 9:37 am

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

The thread for factual information, asking questions and posting answers about the changes AA has announced (and will refine) for 2016 is here: Link

Please discuss, ponder, argue, praise or complain about these changes here.

Most members know how to do this, but we have had to delete some posts. This unfortunately makes it necessary to post the following:

Please remember the Rules require civility, refraining from ad hominem and attacks - these include accusations, disrespect toward US or AA members, over personalization, the use of offensive language, etc. For a review of the Rules we all agreed to abide by in return for membership privileges, please read here: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php.

Posts that do not conform to the Rules may be summarily deleted or edited; continued Rules violations may lead to suspension of membership privileges.

Thank you for your understanding. We may have originally sailed on different boats, but we are all rowing and bailing together here on this merged airline and dealing with some sea changes.

American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum moderation team

JSSAUCE Nov 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25728679)
Have they rented a convention center and redone everything down to the signs for the bathrooms with AA branding for the announcement? And, unlike Apple, AA managed to keep the machinations of their preparations for this event (if not the substance of it) out of the press!

The MIA D30 club is buzzing, the lights are going down.....

ashill Nov 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Partner airline award charts have the new EQM earnings.

BA ranges from 0.5 EQM/mile flown (H fares and below) to (only) 1.5 EQM/mile flown (all premium cabin fares, from discount premium economy to full F).

ETA: All discount economy fares on AS earn 0.5 EQM/mile flown. This includes many fare classes that currently earn 1.0 EQPs. For me, that's a big ouch.

Based on the information JonNYC provided about the AA earnings, which was (of course) spot on, I had no objection to the short notice, since it was an improvement in the elite qualifying process for all flyers. But the revisions to the partner EQM earning chart with about six weeks notice is not good pool.

:td:

JamilD Nov 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Transcon Business: 32,500
Transcon First: 50,000

Ouch.

taxicabnumber Nov 17, 2015 12:04 pm

J award changes aren't too bad, 57.5k to Europe and 60k/70k for Asia 1/2 seem fine.

110k for F to Asia 2 though...yuck.

surftb15 Nov 17, 2015 12:05 pm

not bad but partner airline, even in business, are only 1.5 EQM.

Shesh.

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25728708)
Yeah, F to Asia and SWP biggest increases for sure. Everything else seems palatable to me, IMO.

Can't disagree much. Happy I booked all of the F awards to those two areas that I did though, and looks like I should load up for one last round...

And they are cheaper than UA for USA-Europe partner awards in premium cabins by a good margin, which is a good sign.

JonNYC Nov 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25728709)

BA ranges from 0.5 EQM/mile flown (H fares and below) to (only) 1.5 EQM/mile flown (all premium cabin fares, from discount premium economy to full F).

...But the revisions to the partner EQM earning chart with about six weeks notice is not good pool.

I agree-- I'm shocked by that (and the rate itself.) Very bad :td:

2Tall4Y Nov 17, 2015 12:11 pm

The award chart devaluation could have been much worse, J levels look pretty solid all around ^

Superguy Nov 17, 2015 12:13 pm

They should have thrown segment flyers a bone, with at least 1.5 segments for Y/B and above like UA and DL do.

aztimm Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

At first glance, it looks quite similar to the earning structure we had with the US Dividend Miles program.

Based on all the hype, I really was expecting something much more harsh.

ashill Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Unfortunately, JonNYC seems to have seen the good side of these changes only. The drastic, short-notice cut to partner EQMs which makes partner EQM earning less than it is for EQPs this year is a heavy devaluation for me. The SWU earning cuts turn out to be about as bad as we could have imagined; there appears to now be a maximum of 8 SWUs, and only for 200k EQMs. The rise in the cost of stickers. The award chart.

Based on what JonNYC presented, I had no problem with the short notice, but this is a fair bit worse than he warned us about.

Although one positive change in the award chart: a new 7500 mile award for <500 mile nonstop flights. That is one of the old strengths of BA awards; good to see that option on AA. (Of course, BA's comparable award used to be 4500 points but is going up to 7500 points around the time of this change; in retrospect, that might have been a hint.)

Hawaii 5000 mile inter-island awards are gone, though the new 7500 mile <500 mile awards would apply (for nonstops).

jamespvg Nov 17, 2015 12:17 pm

0.5 EQM for most AS fares and a cap of 1.5 BA EQM even on JBA routes are supremely disappointing to me. The BA decision especially. If they're interested in incentivizing us to buy-up to higher cabins, what's the sense in capping EQMs on revenue shared, métal-neutral services? Rubbish.

zpaul Nov 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Deleted - late to the game.

Gunner14 Nov 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 25728796)
At first glance, it looks quite similar to the earning structure we had with the US Dividend Miles program.

Based on all the hype, I really was expecting something much more harsh.

Assume you are referring to qualifying criteria - not mileage earning?

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jamespvg (Post 25728823)
If they're interested in incentivizing us to buy-up to higher cabins, what's the sense in capping EQMs on revenue shared, métal-neutral services? Rubbish.

They are incentivizing you to book the AA codeshare on these flights, which to my knowledge exists on every BA TATL metal flight.

rrgg Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 25728719)

110k for F to Asia 2 though...yuck.

Maybe you can send warm thank yous to Ben Schlapping ?

JonNYC Nov 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jamespvg (Post 25728823)
...a cap of 1.5 BA EQM even on JBA routes are supremely disappointing to me. The BA decision especially. If they're interested in incentivizing us to buy-up to higher cabins, what's the sense in capping EQMs on revenue shared, métal-neutral services? Rubbish.

I agree-- I'm shocked by how unfair and crappy that is.

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25728850)
That's very little change, though. The only changes are Y,B go from 1.5 EQP (1.0 EQM) to 1.0 and H goes from 1.0 to 0.5. CX earning is :td:, but it always has been.

Agree

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25728859)
I agree-- I'm shocked by how unfair and crappy that is.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25728838)
They are incentivizing you to book the AA codeshare on these flights, which to my knowledge exists on every BA TATL metal flight.

These make sense if someone is flying LHR-SIN and is a EU based member, AA doesn't really want to give that person 2/3x EQMs (and BA probably wants them crediting to BAEC anyway). Book the AA codeshare for TATL flights. I know it isn't necessarily "that" simple to do, but that seems to be what AA wants done.

Superguy Nov 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25728850)
That's very little change, though. The only changes are Y,B go from 1.5 EQP (1.0 EQM) to 1.0 and H goes from 1.0 to 0.5. CX earning is :td:, but it always has been.

Looking at the rest of the partners though, it's just horrid.

This is just about as bad as DL treats some of it's SkyTeam partners.

Bottom line: if you can't fly an AA codeshare, you're screwed - especially if you have to fly in below Y/B.

To me, this essentially kills OW as an alliance.

discoverCSG Nov 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Well, the earning criteria for SWU's 5-8 are very disappointing.

And yes, EXP is still the best in its class, both for earning and for benefits. Well played, Discount Doug.

jamespvg Nov 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25728838)

Why? It shouldn't make an difference to them.

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jamespvg (Post 25728879)

But it does if you book a standalone itinerary that doesn't involve the USA, such as LHR-SIN. AA likely doesn't want to give extra EQMs for that.

Dave Noble Nov 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jamespvg (Post 25728879)

There are a lot of BA flights which are not part of the JBV

eponymous_coward Nov 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25728709)

ETA: All discount economy fares on AS earn 0.5 EQM/mile flown. This includes many fare classes that currently earn 1.0 EQPs. For me, that's a big ouch.

Based on the information JonNYC provided about the AA earnings, which was (of course) spot on, I had no objection to the short notice, since it was an improvement in the elite qualifying process for all flyers. But the revisions to the partner EQM earning chart with about six weeks notice is not good pool.

:td:

Interesting, the RDM earning stays constant but EQM is slashed. Wonder if that happens on the other side as well...

JonNYC Nov 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 25729110)
Difference is that at least UA had overpriced awards but good availability (and none of them with BA and their EQ). Now, AA is as bad on the former count and much worse on the other.

I'll take AAdv's CX and even JL award F availability over UA's SQ award availability any day. :) But, yeah, I hear ya. Will have to see if AAdv availability now changes at all as a result of the hikes though.

Dieuwer Nov 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 25728950)
Why should I fly OW to Asia if I'm only going to get 1.5 EQM? I'll just fly Etihad or Emirates for a cheaper price and get better service & forget about the miles... and AA, BA, IB better believe that I will remember that forced choice when the time comes to book TATL.

Become a free agent too! Much more fun, and better bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 25729108)
It just occurred to me, but I suppose I no longer care much if Citi adds AA as a mileage transfer partner for TYP.

Yes. AA just devalued the Citi cards. Citi must be thrilled.

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 25729110)
Difference is that at least UA had overpriced awards but good availability (and none of them with BA and their EQ). Now, AA is as bad on the former count and much worse on the other.

Expect award availability to get much better if you can afford to spend it, partner redemptions to Europe are far more available post-deval with UA than they were pre-deval. The BA YQ remains an irritant though and partly undoes the lower AA cost :mad:.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25729121)
I'll take AAdv's CX and even JL award F availability over UA's SQ award availability any day. :) But, yeah, I hear ya. Will have to see if AAdv availability now changes at all as a result of the hikes though.

I can assure you partner availability will get better after the devaluation, as noted partner awards with UA are much more available now than they were before.

IflyonAA Nov 17, 2015 12:59 pm

I can't criticize this new EQM structure at all. For my usual UK-USA legs which I normally book in AA Y, I will try to book into BA W to get 1.5 EQMs for what is normally an extra GBP 70 extra on top of the AA Y fare.

Works for me.

Dieuwer Nov 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25729130)
Expect award availability to get much better if you can afford to spend it, partner redemptions to Europe are far more available post-deval with UA than they were pre-deval. The BA YQ remains an irritant though and partly undoes the lower AA cost :mad:.

There is a trick for BOS based pax to fly to Europe for <= 50,000 one way in J ;)
AND I WILL NOT REVEAL IT BECAUSE WHEN I DO SO THE TRICK WILL VANISH DUE TO EVIL BLOGGERS!! :mad:

bse118 Nov 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 25729042)
Wait until next year.

I have no idea how much I will be flying in 2017, let alone 2018. Too much can change between now and then, both for the good and the not-so-good, and not having to do with AAdvantage.

Not gonna waste any brain cells thinking about a change in 2017 qualifying for 2018 flying.

Duke787 Nov 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona (Post 25728808)
Europe to Middle East J and F going from 30 and 40 to 42.5 and 62.5
Middle East to Australia J and F going from 45 and 60 to 80 and 100

Affects Etihad residences.

Yep this kills the sweet spot in the award chart for EY Apartments.

TheBOSman Nov 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 25729126)
Yes. AA just devalued the Citi cards. Citi must be thrilled.

I'll cancel mine today just for funsies :D.

kauppias Nov 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 25729128)
Damn. I missed that part :td:

Still better than BA, but 2016 may be my last year with OW.

With the partner earnings of the new AA I am left with no choice but to burn my stash of AA miles and just get the Amex platinum for lounges :)

I wish they would have given us decent notice as I bought BA J tickets on TATL routes had I known Of these changes I would have bought AA coded flights. 45 days notice is low!!!

rendezvous Nov 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Considering most of my redemptions are premium seats to China, this award change isn't too favorable.

Superguy Nov 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25729121)

SQ is a unicorn, true, but I think *A generally has more and better airlines than most of OW. Getting a ticket on TG, OZ, or NH is a darn good consolation prize. :)

Blootch Nov 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Well we all saw this coming...not nearly as bad as I had expected in terms of award chart. Still less than UA in many cases the cost of F travel.

JonNYC Nov 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 25729197)
SQ is a unicorn, true, but I think *A generally has more and better airlines than most of OW. Getting a ticket on TG, OZ, or NH is a darn good consolation prize. :)

No argument there. I'm a big fan/user of UA miles-- have flown all three of those recently using 'em, even when the disparity with AAdv was very big.

Originally Posted by Blootch (Post 25729200)
...Still less than UA in many cases the cost of F travel.

But just slightly, I think, correct?

Passmethesickbag Nov 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25729130)

I can assure you partner availability will get better after the devaluation, as noted partner awards with UA are much more available now than they were before.

I beg to disagree, based on my eurocentric perspective, availability with UA was always OK, even in high season — partially because options on ten European partners are a lot more than on three.

Oformula Nov 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Not unexpected. But it's a bloodbath.
But at first glance, still seems slightly better than Delta and United. They did their homework.