Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you miss about US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
I miss being able to nominate family members to Silver or Gold depending on miles flown.

The special dividends were nice to me.

I saved a lot having my college son be Silver and not paying baggage fees when coming home for breaks.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:24 pm

Grand slam. Duh.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:54 pm

US vs. AA

I've flown both and it is night and day. Look at this:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...777-300_ER.php

vs.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...E_Intl_new.php

American Airlines has 4 Business Class seats across on a wide body aircraft vs. the 4 across on a 757 (with tape to seal the ashtray).

US was a Low Cost Airline (hence the LCC ticker symbol) and AA was a full service airline. US got rid of business class lounges, AA expanded them.

Not trying to stir up AA vs. US trouble (I used to be US CP before defecting to UA after the American West merger, then to AA after UA merged with CO) - so I've been around the block. With the exception of the number of AA FF that will make some CP lose the 100% upgrade, AA was the best thing to happen to US from a service standpoint. IMHO.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-ExecPlat, DL-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond
There is nothing to miss......
2nd rate hubs, no power outlets in first, young and cheaply paid flight attendants with no clue of service, flying with kettle that US wooed with cheap fares to connect through CLT, poor customer service, baggage meltdowns in Philly, dated clubs that needed remodels.
Thank God cut rate US is gone.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I miss the clean, supple, handy US Airways booking site. You could find what you wanted quickly with fewer clicks than it takes to find it on the AA. The US site made me want to make a booking. The AA site makes we want to look for another airline.

And that Envoy Lounge: it was comfortable, and it had a pretty fabulous food spread before it became a regular lounge with that super salty soup and those other super salty snacks.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Zanotti
I saved a lot having my college son be Silver and not paying baggage fees when coming home for breaks.
You pay for your son's bags?! I'm happy being Gold and getting a free bag, because my dad sure didn't pay for my bags when I visited him on breaks before I was gold
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Memo21
I come from the pmAA side of the house with limited flights historically on US Airways. That said, this thread (now on page 5) proves your statement incorrect, as there are many from the pmUS side who obviously miss some features of US.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:07 pm

Ordering meals ahead of time in Economy.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
1) 75k status. As someone else mentioned, its a long way from 50k to 100k

2) Star Alliance. The amount of Asian routings under *A is impressive, and airlines like CA, OZ and TG have wonderful first class experiences. I spend 120k on a huge 10 asian city routing on OZ in F, and everything about it was amazing. I'm bummed I never got back to try TG before US went to One World.

3) Upgrades. I'm at 0% for my upgrades with stickers. Every AA flyertalk person said not to worry because with stickers I would have a shot at upgrades... Well I was 70-80% with US prior to the merger, and 0% now... so how are these stickers of any value to me? Maybe if EXP had to use them, it would be better for everyone.

4) The US website. When you flight options were displayed on US, you could easily see your options, often all shown on one page. Today, under AA, I have to scroll through, and its really hard to decipher what is what. If you never booked on US.com, you don't know what you were missing. The AA booking site is awful.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bkafrick
3) Upgrades. I'm at 0% for my upgrades with stickers. Every AA flyertalk person said not to worry because with stickers I would have a shot at upgrades... Well I was 70-80% with US prior to the merger, and 0% now... so how are these stickers of any value to me? Maybe if EXP had to use them, it would be better for everyone.
There have been a number of references in this thread to a drop in upgrade percentage since the merger for pmUS fliers. I'm very curious what is driving this (ignoring the sticker part). I did not think the upgrade system changed other than stickers and, since the merge of the reservation systems on 10/17, the lack of ability to grab any F seat within 24 hours of takeoff regardless of position on the upgrade list (the latter of which sounds more like a glitch than an intended feature).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is driving the lower success rate for some pmUS fliers? More pmAA elite fliers on pmUS routes? Increased sale of F seats on the merged airline vs pmUS? Something else?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Memo21
2nd rate hubs, no power outlets in first, young and cheaply paid flight attendants with no clue of service, flying with kettle that US wooed with cheap fares to connect through CLT, poor customer service, baggage meltdowns in Philly, dated clubs that needed remodels.
Thank God cut rate US is gone.
You just described most major US airlines (albeit with a few variations). Why single out US?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
There have been a number of references in this thread to a drop in upgrade percentage since the merger for pmUS fliers. I'm very curious what is driving this (ignoring the sticker part). I did not think the upgrade system changed other than stickers and, since the merge of the reservation systems on 10/17, the lack of ability to grab any F seat within 24 hours of takeoff regardless of position on the upgrade list (the latter of which sounds more like a glitch than an intended feature).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is driving the lower success rate for some pmUS fliers? More pmAA elite fliers on pmUS routes? Increased sale of F seats on the merged airline vs pmUS? Something else?
Even with competing with AA flyers on US metal, I still had a good upgrade percentages, even as an US Gold/AA Plat.

US got a bit stingier with upgrades, clearing CPs mostly at 4 days rather than the usual 7, but even then, I was batting 100% as a CP.

My guess is how/when the systems processed upgrades was different. I think US was a bit more generous and didn't really hold seats back, where AA did.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by bkafrick
4) The US website. When you flight options were displayed on US, you could easily see your options, often all shown on one page. Today, under AA, I have to scroll through, and its really hard to decipher what is what. If you never booked on US.com, you don't know what you were missing. The AA booking site is awful.
+1000 million to infinity and beyond

That being said I am grateful for AA migrating to the larger reservations system seamlessly without the UA or LUS issues suffered earlier this millennium.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
I miss my Milano cookies in first on US...

W T F is the all green basket of crap AA has foisted on us.

Oh and upgrades post merger LMFAO... riiiight.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Superguy
For me:

1) Star Alliance. This was the biggest single loss to me. *A had a lot of airlines I wanted to fly on, and lots of ways to get me there. Availability was generally good too. OW - not so much. The main Asian partner I would use is JL, and it's an airline I'm not crazy about (I prefer NH). Europe in general is much more limited without having to deal with LHR and BA. Great if you're going to the UK, but there are better options for getting around mainland Europe.

2) US's sense of customer service. Granted, my experiences with AA have generally been good so far, but US's attitude, IME, was they'd bend over backwards to help you. They were the only airline that ever called me back when asked - even as a lowly Silver. US generally treated CP like gold, and I felt like they always valued my business more than UA did. Maybe because they were smaller and worked harder to get the business. I don't know. The Winston-Salem CS center was always great.

3) Comp upgrades - and for companions too. I usually traveled by myself, but it was nice traveling with 2 companions (my wife was also low level elite) and having 3 of us get upgraded to F. I don't think I ever missed an upgrade as a CP on US metal. There were also times I'd book within a couple days of departure and I'd still get upgraded almost immediately.

4) I thought the US Android app was more useful overall. AA's is nice for what it does, but I hate being dumped out to the website any time I want to do anything more than checking my online account or getting boarding passes. I could buy tickets and change seats easily on US's app. Not so much on AA's.

I would agree with all of this - especially Star Alliance - US redemption for Business Class awards on partners was always pretty easy and NO BA fuel surcharges....flew several times on ANA to NRT in business class for 90K miles....a great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.