Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you miss about US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
YMMV...In my experience, my success rate for SDC via online is 0%; my success rate for SDC via going to the airport and asking an agent is 100%.

This, of course, may be a function of when I tend to check for SDC options online vs when I'm inquiring with an agent.
I am 0% SDC for Shuttle routes since 10/17 but have not missed a standby which is a different process and much more stressful for my gentle disposition
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
+1 on missing upgrades. Flying PHL-BOS or PHL-ORD on PMUS I was clearing at either the 100 hour or 48 hour window between 80-90% of the time.

Since 10/17, I am 0% as an EXP...usually 2 or 3 on the upgrade list, and have never been cleared at the gate.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Centurion
I was told I was crazy when I mentioned this:
We weren't calling you crazy. We were getting you to be quiet and don't tell others about our secret

For me the free and plentiful upgrades at the 50K level.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by 76toPHL
+1 on missing upgrades. Flying PHL-BOS or PHL-ORD on PMUS I was clearing at either the 100 hour or 48 hour window between 80-90% of the time.

Since 10/17, I am 0% as an EXP...usually 2 or 3 on the upgrade list, and have never been cleared at the gate.
+1, Maybe I haven't figured out what the secret to clearing upgrades is or something, but I've noticed:

1) short-haul upgrades seem to clear easily still. i.e flights without meal service. Maybe just lack of elites on routes like LAX-SFO... (I saw the plane go out with 3+ empty seats in F last Friday afternoon...)

2) In the 6 or so >2h flights I've taken since the merger, I've never cleared at the gate.

3) I really miss the days where I could just upgrade (for free) at the lounge if there was available space... With AA upgrades seem to be 100% at the discretion of the GA.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:18 pm

I have kind of a soft spot in my heart for US Airways. I lived in southern New England for a few years and I once had a run of (I believe) ten trips in a row where at least one direction had a major disruption (i.e. cancellation or sufficiently severe delay that I ended up on another flight). I kept flying them because they were the cheapest (and I was a student), and because, to their credit, they did always find a way to get me there.

Later I moved out west, where the LHP network seemed more reliable (and less exciting). Anyway, though, from the old times I ended up with a kind of strange affection for them, and I was a little sad to fly them for the last time last month.

I can't point to any particular features I miss, though, although they may have been the best I've experienced at smoothing things out when things went sideways / efficiently getting me on some other airline's plane.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P

I flew PMAA and was upgraded at the window 100% of the time since becoming EXP until 10/17. I don't know if the merger reset the timestamp on upgrades or something, but the two I've missed I've been #1 at departure on flights I had been clearing easily before.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:20 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

So who are all the folks in The First Class Cabin...Oh shame maybe they actually paid
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: A few here and there
Special Rewards?

I really miss the special rewards program for crossing certain thresholds. Being able to gift status, plus a free club membership was always a nice perk. I know it was not worth much, but it did create an incentive to fly US after crossing 100K. (I'm sitting on a STL to PHX flight, about to cross 150K and wondering why I did not do a challenge this year)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Ex Plat, Avis President's, and various hoteliers...
As a former Chairman's level that has only flown between 70-80K the last few years, I miss the US Platinum grade...that and the auto upgrades. Gotta get a few more trips in I guess. But I like the tie-in with Cathay...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
I do miss the auto upgrades. I have gotten a few since the new system but no where near the US system. It's just a different mind set walking through the airport doors knowing your upgrade cleared. Even more so for those longer flights. It eliminates questions like: Do I need food? water? etc.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The cheesecake.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
As others have mentioned, I also miss Star Alliance options. Being able to use the Air Canada lounges in YEG, YYC, and YYZ is something that I dearly miss.

Knowing that I would have a very good chance of being upgraded as CP. I'm now seeing upgrades 50-60% as EXP on flight that I was upgraded 100% as CP.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
I do miss *A. The options to get anywhere just seemed better, especially if one avoids BA through LHR due to the high fees.

I miss the chance to get my wife's club membership without a fee once I passed a certain mileage threshold.

I miss the 75K Platinum level. It is a long way from 50 to 100K miles.

I miss not needing to wonder if an upgrade (should I get one) is worth that number of 500 mile certificates.

And I miss the threadbare, worn, dirty PMUS metal. Oh wait, I still fly on that with a new outer paint-job
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
The surviving LGW service to CLT. Now gone, forever.

The LGW Envoy lounge. Ditto.

The PHL Envoy lounge. Which maybe, just maybe, we might get back as a Flagship lounge? I know the guy who took it away is now in charge of the whole operation, but the DFW Flagship lounge is back, and BA, who could do with a premium lounge, is now back as a partner.

I have quite a few fond memories of US as a *A frequent flier (and I am very lucky to retain lifetime *G status so I won't have to miss other aspects of *A). The product was crummy, but the fares were unbeatable back in the day, and the airline retained some amazing staff. I'll never forget the US Club angel and the angel in baggage handling (whom I never had the chance to thank in person), who arranged between them to retrieve my suitcase from the belly of PHL when my evening connection to DCA was cancelled due to weather and my itinerary the subsequent day had been rebooked not to include DCA at all.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Yea, special rewards, coupled with the generosity of Flyertalkers is what I miss (or more accurately, what Mrs dwcatty misses). Mrs. dwcatty was gifted silver status 3 of the last 4 years by some very kind folks here. She adored being able to do same day move up when she could sneak out earlier going to see the grandbabies, and of being able to check a bag for free full of the outfits she had sewed for the girls. She only made a half dozen or so trips a year and never had enough legs to earn status for herself, but she sure enjoyed the perks when they were gifted to her.

Me, I miss Piedmont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.