Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Checked and Cabin Animal / Pet Policies and Requirements

NOTE: This is the new thread for checked and carry-on animals / pets as they are permitted by American Airlines. It is strictly for bona fide questions, replies and relevant discussion of pets and animals in-cabin and checked as animal cargo.

Discussions relating to reactions to in-cabin animals, service or support animals or their legitimacy, purpose, false labeling, etc. are considered dilatory to this topic and will be summarily deleted. There are other, more appropriate fora for those discussions.

Thank you for your understanding.

/American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team
Link to aa.com Traveling with pets page

For discussion regarding AA policies regarding assistance, psychiatric or emotional support animals, please see AA Policy Regarding Service, Psychiatric and Emotional Support Animals here on FT.

Link to U S Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance (and downloadable PDF)

In 1990, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the official regulations implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). Link to downloadable PDF covering service animals.

For general information about travel with pets, please see the Link to FlyerTalk "Travel with Pets" forum .

Link to thread on A321T First class "Cuddle Class" pet cabin / kennel.

Which destinations allow travel with pets?

You can travel with a pet on most flights not longer than 12 hours or flights to/from:*
  • Within the 48 contiguous United States
  • The U.S. and Canada
  • Alaska
  • Central America**
  • Mexico
  • Puerto Rico
  • St. Croix
  • St. Thomas
*12 hours includes the time it takes to clear customs at the arrival city.

(Note: There are additional special restrictions that may apply when traveling with pets - please refer to the aa.com page linked to above. Some destinations absolutely prohibit the carriage of pets on AA, others have significant restrictions. Failure to observe these could result in up to confiscation and destruction of your pet in some countries. - JD)
Carry on pets $125.00 per pet

When traveling on an American Airlines flight, you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet charge
  • Your pet is at least 8 weeks old
  • Your pet stays in their kennel and under the seat in front of you for the entire flight
If all your travel is on American Airlines we can only accept up to 7 kennels each flight (not including service animals). When traveling on an American Eagle flight, we can accept up to 5 kennels per flight (with a maximum of 1 in first class). Youll need to contact Reservations to make arrangements in advance.

Guidelines for carry-on pets

When carrying on your pet, youll need to make sure that they can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel. Non-collapsible kennels can be a maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in (see next section).

Soft-sided collapsible kennels such as Sherpa bags can be larger if they're made of water-repellant, padded or the have nylon have mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Underseat stowage issues

A number of aircraft have limitations not revealed on aa.com. For example,
  • Some newer Business configurations may have seats that are not FAA STC'd to allow under seat stowage throughout the flight
  • Some aisle or window seats have much narrower under seat stowage
  • Some seats may be obstructed by power or/and A/V distribution boxes
  • The MiQ seats used in F/J on many Oasis refitted A20321 &. 738, as well as on A321neo and 737 MAX 8 aircraft, have very limited under seat stowage
  • Some smaller regional carriers may have restricted under seat stowage areas
* see http://www.dogjaunt.com/posts/catego...-measurements/ for under seat stowage measurements and other information

Checked pets

Special notice:

Checked pets cannot travel on A321S, A321H, A320, A319 aircraft and all flights operated by... regional partner Air Wisconsin.

Seasonal bans on cargo-checked pets may exist, e.g. Phoenix and Palm Springs in summer months.

Several aircraft bar cabin pets - altogether or more likely in Business of First. Be sure to read the page on aa.com linked to near the top of this Wikipost thoroughly.
You can travel with up to 2 checked pets that are at least 8 weeks old. Please note that as capacity is limited, we accept checked pets on a first-come basis. When checking a pet, youll need to:
  • Contact Reservations at least 48 hours prior to travel
  • Check in at the ticket counter
  • Allow extra check-in time (can't check pets more than 4 hours before your flight)
  • Complete a checklist with an agent
  • Provide a health certificate
To ensure the health and safety of your pet, the health certificate you provide must be issued by a vet within:
  • 10 days of your travel
  • 60 days of your return (travel on the same ticket)
  • 10 days of your return (travel on a separate ticket)
Link to June 2016 post indicating "AA" personnel at PHL (and possibly elsewhere then) are unfamiliar with these AA policies and can torpedo your best laid trip plans if you're checking or through-checking an animal.

Link to thread about A321T Business seat issues with carry-on animals.

Updated 22 Jun 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
Anyone know how strict the AA agents have been about pet carrier size recently? I've got an upcoming American Eagle flight which will be my first ever with a pet. The AA guidelines say the soft-sided kennel can be 18x11x11 (inches). Mine is 20x11x12.

Is that likely to be a problem? Should I buy a smaller one?

Thanks.
Probably not.

But there is always that agent that likes to enforce rules.
We recently had to take a jacket out of a bag because the bag was 50.1 lbs (0.1 lbs over) - or pay $100.

Or they may not even blink an eye.
Hoi polloi likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by carlosdca
We recently had to take a jacket out of a bag because the bag was 50.1 lbs (0.1 lbs over) - or pay $100.
Interesting. I was always under the impression that up to 50.9 pounds still meets the 50 pound requirement. I didn't think extra kicked in until 51 pounds.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:35 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Interesting. I was always under the impression that up to 50.9 pounds still meets the 50 pound requirement. I didn't think extra kicked in until 51 pounds.
WHere is this published? If not published then the max weight is what is stated and there is no reason for the agent (on a power trip) to be lenient
Old May 11, 2024, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by carlosdca
WHere is this published? If not published then the max weight is what is stated and there is no reason for the agent (on a power trip) to be lenient
Well, not 50.9 pounds, but this is on AA.com:

Over 50 lbs / 23 kgs

23 kilograms equals 50.70632 pounds. So right there, their own website says that it could be 50.7 pounds and still not be overweight. If it happens again, ask them to measure it in kilograms instead of pounds.
lrdpenn likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
Anyone know how strict the AA agents have been about pet carrier size recently? I've got an upcoming American Eagle flight which will be my first ever with a pet. The AA guidelines say the soft-sided kennel can be 18x11x11 (inches). Mine is 20x11x12.

Is that likely to be a problem? Should I buy a smaller one?

Thanks.
As mentioned many times, it depends on the agent, the time of day, and maybe the weather, the mg of caffeine consumed, and if they just don't feel like being generous, kinda like this:
jamabam likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Update - Things went fine with the original pet carrier. I'm not even sure the agent really even looked closely at it.

While your mileage may vary, the agents weren't breaking out the rulers to measure the dimensions. So, my gut feeling is that as long as your pet carrier isn't obviously larger than the guidelines, AA will be happy to take your money and let you move along.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I meant to update on my experience as well.
Flew DFW-EUG a couple weeks ago with 2 cats (and partner). Not only did they not measure the carriers, the agent barely glanced at them. He asked if they were cats, but I could have had baby alligators in there for all he knew.
Old May 14, 2024, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Well, not 50.9 pounds, but this is on AA.com:

Over 50 lbs / 23 kgs

23 kilograms equals 50.70632 pounds. So right there, their own website says that it could be 50.7 pounds and still not be overweight. If it happens again, ask them to measure it in kilograms instead of pounds.
Most scales in US are legally calibrated only to lbs. Thus lbs will be used. They stated a limit for both lbs/kgs. They may not be exactly equal, but limit is stated as 50lbs, not 50.70632lbs. Same thing as extra bag fees. It can be $150 or C$150. You don't get to pick CAD just because it benefits you more. Is ageny on power trip denying 50.7 or 50.9? Likely they are indeed. However, they are also within policy.
Old May 15, 2024, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most scales in US are legally calibrated only to lbs. Thus lbs will be used. They stated a limit for both lbs/kgs. They may not be exactly equal, but limit is stated as 50lbs, not 50.70632lbs. Same thing as extra bag fees. It can be $150 or C$150. You don't get to pick CAD just because it benefits you more. Is ageny on power trip denying 50.7 or 50.9? Likely they are indeed. However, they are also within policy.
OK then. On a different section on the website, it states:

You can also travel with:
Bags weighing 51 - 70 lbs. (23.1 - 32 kgs) for an applicable charge

Based on this statement, my first posting above stating that you could go to 50.9 pounds without a charge is correct. If what you say is true, then this statement should say: Bags weighing 50.0001 - 70 lbs. (23.1 - 32 kgs) for an applicable charge

I would fight this tooth and nail if they tried to hit me with an overweight fee at 50.1 pounds.
Hoi polloi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.