Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA checked and cabin animal / pet information & policy (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Checked and Cabin Animal / Pet Policies and Requirements

NOTE: This is the new thread for checked and carry-on animals / pets as they are permitted by American Airlines. It is strictly for bona fide questions, replies and relevant discussion of pets and animals in-cabin and checked as animal cargo.

Discussions relating to reactions to in-cabin animals, service or support animals or their legitimacy, purpose, false labeling, etc. are considered dilatory to this topic and will be summarily deleted. There are other, more appropriate fora for those discussions.

Thank you for your understanding.

/American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team
Link to aa.com Traveling with pets page

For discussion regarding AA policies regarding assistance, psychiatric or emotional support animals, please see AA Policy Regarding Service, Psychiatric and Emotional Support Animals here on FT.

Link to U S Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance (and downloadable PDF)

In 1990, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the official regulations implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). Link to downloadable PDF covering service animals.

For general information about travel with pets, please see the Link to FlyerTalk "Travel with Pets" forum .

Link to thread on A321T First class "Cuddle Class" pet cabin / kennel.

Which destinations allow travel with pets?

You can travel with a pet on most flights not longer than 12 hours or flights to/from:*
  • Within the 48 contiguous United States
  • The U.S. and Canada
  • Alaska
  • Central America**
  • Mexico
  • Puerto Rico
  • St. Croix
  • St. Thomas
*12 hours includes the time it takes to clear customs at the arrival city.

(Note: There are additional special restrictions that may apply when traveling with pets - please refer to the aa.com page linked to above. Some destinations absolutely prohibit the carriage of pets on AA, others have significant restrictions. Failure to observe these could result in up to confiscation and destruction of your pet in some countries. - JD)
Carry on pets $125.00 per pet

When traveling on an American Airlines flight, you can bring one pet kennel as your carry-on bag if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet charge
  • Your pet is at least 8 weeks old
  • Your pet stays in their kennel and under the seat in front of you for the entire flight
If all your travel is on American Airlines we can only accept up to 7 kennels each flight (not including service animals). When traveling on an American Eagle flight, we can accept up to 5 kennels per flight (with a maximum of 1 in first class). You’ll need to contact Reservations to make arrangements in advance.

Guidelines for carry-on pets

When carrying on your pet, you’ll need to make sure that they can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel. Non-collapsible kennels can be a maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in (see next section).

Soft-sided collapsible kennels such as Sherpa bags can be larger if they're made of water-repellant, padded or the have nylon have mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Underseat stowage issues

A number of aircraft have limitations not revealed on aa.com. For example,
  • Some newer Business configurations may have seats that are not FAA STC'd to allow under seat stowage throughout the flight
  • Some aisle or window seats have much narrower under seat stowage
  • Some seats may be obstructed by power or/and A/V distribution boxes
  • The MiQ seats used in F/J on many Oasis refitted A20321 &. 738, as well as on A321neo and 737 MAX 8 aircraft, have very limited under seat stowage
  • Some smaller regional carriers may have restricted under seat stowage areas
* see http://www.dogjaunt.com/posts/catego...-measurements/ for under seat stowage measurements and other information

Checked pets

Special notice:

Checked pets cannot travel on A321S, A321H, A320, A319 aircraft and all flights operated by... regional partner Air Wisconsin.

Seasonal bans on cargo-checked pets may exist, e.g. Phoenix and Palm Springs in summer months.

Several aircraft bar cabin pets - altogether or more likely in Business of First. Be sure to read the page on aa.com linked to near the top of this Wikipost thoroughly.
You can travel with up to 2 checked pets that are at least 8 weeks old. Please note that as capacity is limited, we accept checked pets on a first-come basis. When checking a pet, you’ll need to:
  • Contact Reservations at least 48 hours prior to travel
  • Check in at the ticket counter
  • Allow extra check-in time (can't check pets more than 4 hours before your flight)
  • Complete a checklist with an agent
  • Provide a health certificate
To ensure the health and safety of your pet, the health certificate you provide must be issued by a vet within:
  • 10 days of your travel
  • 60 days of your return (travel on the same ticket)
  • 10 days of your return (travel on a separate ticket)
Link to June 2016 post indicating "AA" personnel at PHL (and possibly elsewhere then) are unfamiliar with these AA policies and can torpedo your best laid trip plans if you're checking or through-checking an animal.

Link to thread about A321T Business seat issues with carry-on animals.

Updated 22 Jun 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
...seats with very limited underwear stowage in First...
I'm going to have to check my skivvies now? Just gets worse and worse...!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
After reading this, I am still a little confused about the 9" tall, stand up without touching stipulation.
Is it from floor to top of torso or top of head? If head, I m not even sure there are cats that short, let alone 10# dogs.
Also, the head is mobile so it would depend on how high or low the dog raises/bows their head.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:51 am

Carrying on dog

I am carrying my dog onto an AA flight in a few days and have done so much research trying to avoid any surprises. I have a carrier my only question is how strict are they about weight. My dog weighs about 17 pounds and his carrier is 3. Will they weigh him? Flying out of dfw.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Allieneff26
I am carrying my dog onto an AA flight in a few days and have done so much research trying to avoid any surprises. I have a carrier my only question is how strict are they about weight. My dog weighs about 17 pounds and his carrier is 3. Will they weigh him? Flying out of dfw.
Welcome to FT. AA.com lists the requirements for carry-on pets, doesn't look like there's a weight limit although it does say the kennel must fit under the seat and the pet must be able to move around in it.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp

There is also a dedicated thread here with more details...

Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Would suggest that you go back and re-read the requirements. Where did you see anything about weight?

Question for you to consider is whether a 17lb animal can really fit in a kennel which fits under the seat and permits the animal to stand and move around. I
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Please just leave the dog at home. Animals do not belong on flights.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Please just leave the dog at home. Animals do not belong on flights.
Get a Border Collie and get it to look after the screamin' baby express younguns vs. bringing them on board as well.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by weezl
After reading this, I am still a little confused about the 9" tall, stand up without touching stipulation.
Is it from floor to top of torso or top of head? If head, I m not even sure there are cats that short, let alone 10# dogs.
Also, the head is mobile so it would depend on how high or low the dog raises/bows their head.
The height at the top of the head when it is in its standard position.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the dog can't raise its head, then it can't move about freely and doesn't fit the kennel. So it needs a larger kennel and that kennel must still fit under the seat in front of you.

I realize that dogs come in all shapes and sizes, but I am trying to imagine a 17lb animal which can fit in a kennel, move about freely, and still fit under the seat.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:16 am

Question Two pets in cabin by one passenger?

Hi All,

I'm planning on traveling from WAS to PHX to pick up two new members to our family (two small dogs, mother and son) from a rescue in PHX, and while I have travelled with pet in cabin before, I've never travelled with two.
I was wondering if it's allowed by AA or will I need to add the Mrs. to the trip as well so that each of us will have 1 pet in cabin.

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
One carry-on pet per passenger I believe. All spelled out here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp
Antarius and justsawaufo like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Only one, AFAIK. I would bring along the Mrs. to be safe and ensure the trip goes smoothly.
On American flights you can bring 1 kennel as your carry-on bag if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet charge
  • Your pet stays in the kennel and under the seat in front of you the entire flight
You can travel with your pet carrier and one personal item, but you won’t be permitted to bring a carry-on bag in addition to a pet carrier and personal item. Instead, the kennel will replace your carry-on bag
Also, yaaaaaay puppies!
justsawaufo, Gringa and Uzzar like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:44 am

Also, double yay - RESCUES!
Antarius, justsawaufo and Uzzar like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Only one, AFAIK. I would bring along the Mrs. to be safe and ensure the trip goes smoothly.

Also, yaaaaaay puppies!
I have a relative that regularly travels with 2, they both can fit into a single carrier.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I have a relative that regularly travels with 2, they both can fit into a single carrier.
They must be tiny, if they can freely move around in a carrier that can fit under a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.