Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: service, psychiatric & emotional support animals to 7/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Policy Regarding Service, Psychiatric and Emotional Service Animals

Link to Thread as of 1 Jul 2018

See the new thread dealing with ESA policy extending to all purchasing tickets 1 Jul 2018 or after here[/B].

Periodically, a thread emerges dealing with service, support and emotional support animals. This thread is for specific discussion of AA policies and service, psychiatric and emotional support animals. General discussion regarding the appropriateness of service animals in cabins, etc. are not appropriate for this thread.

Link to aa.com Traveling with pets page

For discussion regarding AA policy regarding the transportation of animals / pets in cabin or as live cargo other than service, psychiatric and emotional support animals, please see: AA checked and cabin animals / pets information (master thread)

Link to U S Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance (and downloadable PDF)

In 1990, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the official regulations implementing the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). Link to downloadable PDF covering service animals.

For general information about travel with pets, please see the Link to FlyerTalk "Travel with Pets" forum .

American Airlines lists it's requirements for service animals and emotional and psychiatric support animals: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...iceAnimals.jsp

Service animals on air carriers are ruled by the Air Carrier Access Act (Title 14 CFR, Part 382), not the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in air travel and requires air carriers to accommodate the needs of passengers with disabilities. In 1990 The Department of Transportation issued a rule defining the rights of passengers and the obligations of air carriers under this law.

The full text of the U S Department of Transportation's Air Carrier Access Act, 14 CFR Part 382, can be read and downloaded as an Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) document here.
In part, ACA addresses service animals:

Service Animals

"Carriers must permit dog guides or other service animals with appropriate identification to accompany an individual with a disability on a flight. Identification may include cards or other documentation, presence of a harness or markings on a harness, tags, or the credible verbal assurance of the passenger using the animal."

"If carriers provide special information to passengers concerning the transportation of animals outside the continental United States, they must provide such information to all passengers with animals on such flights, not simply to passengers with disabilities who are traveling with service animals."

"Carriers must permit a service animal to accompany a traveler with a disability to any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain clear in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation, in which case the passenger will be assigned another seat."

Service animals may include dogs or other trained animals; they may assist with activities of daily living, visual impairment ("seeing eye" dogs are an example), deafness and hearing impairment, seizure warning animals, PTSD service, etc.

(Summary from Accessible Journeys)
Only two questions can be asked of a person accompanied by a service animal by airline personnel:
  • Is the dog required because of a disability?

• What task is the dog trained to perform?
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article110643907.html#storylink=cpy

Emotional support animals:

"With respect to an animal used for emotional support (which need not have specific training for that function), airline personnel may require current documentation (i.e., not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health professional stating (1) that the passenger has a mental health-related disability; (2) that having the animal accompany the passenger is necessary to the passenger’s mental health or treatment or to assist the passenger (with his or her disability); and (3) that the individual providing the assessment of the passenger is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his or her professional care. Airline personnel may require this documentation as a condition of permitting the animal to accompany the passenger in the cabin. The purpose of this provision is to prevent abuse by passengers that do not have a medical need for an emotional support animal and to ensure that passengers who have a legitimate need for emotional support animals are permitted to travel with their service animals on the aircraft. Airlines are not permitted to require the documentation to specify the type of mental health disability, e.g., panic attacks."

Source: Guidance Concerning Service Animals In Air Transportation
This issue pushes hot buttons and generally results in much off topic and uninformed discussion. Links above should suffice to instruct anyone interested in flying AA with service or support animals to follow up with AA to arrange transport, or to inform those with questions regarding such animals.

Discussion doesn't change standing regulations, laws or airline policy.

For further relevant discussion for those with disabilities or questions about support and emotional or psychiatric support animals, as the laws and regulations (ACA) cover all airlines in the USA, please inquire in the FlyerTalk Disability Travel Forum.

NOTE: USDOT is revisiting the Federal policies in 2016-17.

/American Airlines Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver

I don't mean to be mean spirited, but it seems like more and more people are showing up on planes with their emotional support animals. I have read a bunch of blogs which basically say that the airlines are not required to police whether or not the animals are in fact emotional support animals or if people just don't want to pay the fees that the airlines get for transporting animals.

What I do know is that is doesn't seem all that safe for animals to not be properly kenneled (strapped in, if you will). Having a dog in your lap during takeoff or during turbulence could be an issue. What happens if the pax falls asleep and the dog jumps down from the seat? The possibilities are endless.

In a world where we all need to take personal responsibility for our safety, I don't know how safe I feel with unleashed animals in the passenger cabin. Not long ago, I found out after takeoff that there was an uncaged (but leashed) monkey on a US plane. Had I known this before departing, I would have definitely gotten off the plane.

What is AA's policy for those of us that don't want to travel or are allergic to these animals? What accommodations are made for us? I have 2 dogs myself, but would never consider bringing these 2 well behaved 6 lb dogs on a plane.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I assume that AA's policy is to obey federal regulations relating to air passengers who use service animals.

If you find yourself seated near a service animal that produces an allergic response in you, I would ask to be re-seated, or re-accommodated on a later flight.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I assume that AA's policy is to obey federal regulations relating to air passengers who use service animals.

If you find yourself seated near a service animal that produces an allergic response in you, I would ask to be re-seated, or re-accommodated on a later flight.
Emotional Support Animals are not subject to the same federal regulations as a Service Animal is provided.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Originally Posted by guv1976

Emotional Support Animals are not subject to the same federal regulations as a Service Animal is provided.
Fair enough. But if an air passenger satisfies the documentation and notice requirements for emotional support animals, I assume that AA is going to board the passenger with his or her animal.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hhhhh

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 15, 2016 at 9:46 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:53 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Emotional support/comfort animals

Yesterday we were taxiing for takeoff on the morning SEA-PHL flight (AA 728) when the captain came on the speakers and said we were returning to the gate. One of two "comfort" dogs, both (I think) either giant Schnauzers or possibly big Kerry Blue terriers, 70+ lbs, in the first row of economy, was unwilling to sit or lie down, and was whining and making a fuss. The other one, in the bulkhead FC row, was quiet but also unwilling to sit. The FC FA had talked to the cockpit and said he was worried about the dogs making a big fuss once we were airborne, possibly forcing a diversion.

When we got back to the gate a dialogue ensued between the passengers, the pilot and a CS person from the AA station. (I was in 3C and had a good view.) No, the dogs are fine, says the passenger. The CS agent seems more concerned about the absence of the required paperwork for the dogs; the pilot (nearing retirement to all appearances) is starting to get POd, and we the people are starting to get antsy, especially all those connecting through PHL to Europe.

Forty minutes this goes on, until the Captain says, "That's it. My plane. Off with the dogs." Dog people are in tears, dogs are still whining (I think the APU was hurting their ears) and the completely full A321 is still sitting there.

I ask the driver, who's standing next to my seat, what's the deal? These are not "service animals," but "comfort" animals. He says it's a big issue, and that his favorite story was a comfort pig he flew a couple of years ago. I've seen pictures of people bringing "comfort" miniature horses on planes.

Finally the doors close and we return to the takeoff runway, except now we're number whatever and watch a string of AS and WN 737s cut in front of us.

I had to wonder how these folks got past the gate agents if they didn't have the right paperwork (mental health professional's certification.) Or if they did have it, are there any size criteria? These were big dogs, not lap dogs or ones that would fit in a carrier under the seat.

This cost AA a bunch of money, and if we'd diverted (the FA said Omaha would be the likely place) can you imagine? Puzzled.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:47 pm

This issue pushes hot buttons and generally results in much off topic and uninformed discussion. Links and information in the Wikipost at the top of the page should suffice to instruct anyone interested in flying AA with service or support animals to follow up with AA to arrange transport, or to inform those with questions regarding such animals.

Discussion doesn't change standing regulations, laws or airline policy.

For further relevant discussion for those with disabilities or questions about support and emotional or psychiatric support animals, as the laws and regulations (ACA) cover all airlines in the USA, please inquire in the FlyerTalk Disability Travel Forum (link).

NOTE: USDOT is revisiting the Federal policies in 2016-17.

/American Airlines Moderator Team
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:43 pm

service animal for Vet with PTSD

(Feel free to merge if this is already in another thread!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

The first few paragraphs of the story -- note that this was an AA regional flight:

Lisa McCombs, a decorated Army veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, claims she’d never had any trouble flying with her service dog, a Labrador retriever named Jake.

That changed one year ago, when she was barred from boarding a regional American Airlines flight with Jake, who was wearing his service vest and was properly documented at the time, according to a federal lawsuit.

McCombs suffers from PTSD and relies on her dog to calm her anxiety and panic before it overwhelms her.

But as she waited to board her return flight from Manhattan, Kansas, an airline agent approached her and asked “in a condescending tone, ‘ummm, are you going to fly with that?'” the suit states.

Thus began a 48-hour nightmare, in which McCombs says she was unable to return to her home in Gulfport, Miss., while she was repeatedly interrogated, stressed and humiliated, causing her mental health to suffer.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Did she have actual documentation from a mental health professional?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Did she have actual documentation from a mental health professional?
That's irrelevant, because the dog was a trained service animal, not an emotional support animal. The lawsuit is mostly about the Envoy agents' demands at Manhattan for documentation from mental health professionals and the 48 hour advance notice that's required for emotional support animals. This was not an emotional support animal, it was a service animal (they're two different things, with different requirements). All that's required for a service animal (under the ACAA and AA's consistent rules) are:

Requirements

To show that an animal is a service animal, you must provide (at least one of the following):

Animal ID card
Harness or tags
Credible verbal assurance
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp

She had all three - the required animal ID card, vest and credible verbal assurances. The idiot Envoy employee at the Manhattan airport assumed (incorrectly) that the animal was an emotional support animal and the employee (and the supervisors) proceeded to demand documentation and impose the 48 hour rule applicable to emotional support animals.

Based on AA's executive office ownership of this situation at the time, the only issue now is how much money the decorated vet will receive from AA for the humiliation and ridicule at Manhattan by Envoy employees and then at DFW during the connection.

The plaintiff's attorney incorrectly referenced the ADA throughout their complaint, instead of the ACAA. The ADA has no applicability onboard commercial aircraft.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Copy of the complaint filed in federal court:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...-Envoy-Air.pdf
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:28 am

rjw242 recommended merging the new thread into the existing one and reading the Wikipost. The threads have been merged, and this specific issue has been included here. Please do reference the Wikipost, and refrain from general discussion of service, psychiatric and emotional support animals in commercial aircraft.

Thank you,

JDiver, Moderator

NOTE: New ESA policies extend to those purchasing tickets on or after 1 July 2028. Please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ul-2018-a.html That is the current thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:28 am Reason: Add referral link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.