FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: service, psychiatric & emotional support animals to 7/2018
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:54 pm
PhxFlyGuy

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
ARCHIVE: service, psychiatric & emotional support animals to 7/2018

I don't mean to be mean spirited, but it seems like more and more people are showing up on planes with their emotional support animals. I have read a bunch of blogs which basically say that the airlines are not required to police whether or not the animals are in fact emotional support animals or if people just don't want to pay the fees that the airlines get for transporting animals.

What I do know is that is doesn't seem all that safe for animals to not be properly kenneled (strapped in, if you will). Having a dog in your lap during takeoff or during turbulence could be an issue. What happens if the pax falls asleep and the dog jumps down from the seat? The possibilities are endless.

In a world where we all need to take personal responsibility for our safety, I don't know how safe I feel with unleashed animals in the passenger cabin. Not long ago, I found out after takeoff that there was an uncaged (but leashed) monkey on a US plane. Had I known this before departing, I would have definitely gotten off the plane.

What is AA's policy for those of us that don't want to travel or are allergic to these animals? What accommodations are made for us? I have 2 dogs myself, but would never consider bringing these 2 well behaved 6 lb dogs on a plane.