Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If you have the choice between (1) paying a few hundred dollars to renew Gold status vs. (2) getting the $450 Citi AA card that has Admirals Club access, isn't getting the credit card wiser, for the following reasons?

* The card gives plenty of Gold benefits except upgrades and Main Cabin Extra.
* Upgrades are very difficult as a Gold, so you might as well just get 50,000 miles with the credit card and use those to upgrade.
* You don't get free Main Cabin Extra as a Gold until just before departure so you might as well just buy MCE seats at full price (if you fly only short domestic trips, the cost isn't too bad).

Most importantly:
* If you pay to renew Gold status, aren't you blocked from doing a fast track/challenge to get Gold again? Thus if you pay to renew Gold status, your time will run out for good after a year, while if you get the credit card, you will have fewer but longer-lasting benefits.

yes when AA called me yesterday to check on me, she said to wait and see where I ended up, I was EXPL this year but havent flown in months--she said to wait and see what the challenge options could be. I have no clue when Ill start traveling again so Im just going to stay put, and i will consider the credit card for sure
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:12 am

Platinum boost?

What's the general consensus for boosting to platinum? This year I've gotten to gold and am at about 37k miles after this flight is done this week. Work is adding more travel to include some trips to China which really helped with the mileage I've got so far. I'm doing a few AA flights year end both award and paid, all in F and looking at traveling more personally in 2016, from SFO and SJC.

I think I'll break the 40k threshold for boost cost and considered but dismissed MRs due to time remaining and cost. My company doesn't pay for F or otherwise but will pay for MCE so I see value in international lounge in Y, domestic upgrades, and mileage earn but I can't decide if the boost would be worth it, especially with the devaluation. Thoughts anyone?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Going from Gold to Platinum is definitely helpful. In your case, though:

1. Won't you make Platinum next year anyway?
2. You can get AA lounge access through the Citi AA credit card.
3. Upgrades are hard during the week even for me as a Platinum (recent flights had 25-45 people on the upgrade list at the airport) so I'm not counting on being upgraded much.

So I would get the Citi AA credit card and then just make Platinum on your own, if you will.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Wings2004
What's the general consensus for boosting to platinum? This year I've gotten to gold and am at about 37k miles after this flight is done this week. Work is adding more travel to include some trips to China which really helped with the mileage I've got so far. I'm doing a few AA flights year end both award and paid, all in F and looking at traveling more personally in 2016, from SFO and SJC.

I think I'll break the 40k threshold for boost cost and considered but dismissed MRs due to time remaining and cost. My company doesn't pay for F or otherwise but will pay for MCE so I see value in international lounge in Y, domestic upgrades, and mileage earn but I can't decide if the boost would be worth it, especially with the devaluation. Thoughts anyone?

I definitely prefer Platinum over gold. I get significantly more upgrades than my wife does (she is gold) from PIT. Also, I like the One World benefits while travelling internationally. $1199 is expensive for platinum but I use my AMEX travel credit to bring it down (slightly).
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by riversair
Hi, I also go the same error. I called customer service and they said that is a technical issue. They told me there is nothing preventing me from being eligible... and they opened a "tech" ticket and told me to check in a few days.

Anyone else get this not eligible e-mail?
I got this fixed, it took calling Customer Service, they opened a "tech" ticket, they made notes in my account. It took about a week.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton Honors
Buying up to EXP

I recall reading on these forums that last year, AA gave the opportunity to "buy up" to PLT/EXP based on how many miles you were going to be short.

Is it safe to say since it is now December, this opportunity won't be available? I'll be about 10-15k miles short of EXP by the end of the year with no time for any sort of mileage run :-(.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Pay to Retain Status and SWU

I received an offer in the email today to retain my EXP status for $1800 through Feb 2017.

This is a real dilemma for me because for my left over travel this year, I will earn just enough to cross the 100k threshold, but that ticket (changeable, refundable) is also $1800. I don't have to fly and I can change my travel until next year.

I want to ask the gurus of the forum that if I choose to pay to retain my EXP status, will I still get my 8 SWU as if qualified by flying? I called EXP desk and the AAngel said I would but I just want to be double sure.

Edit: Also 1 more question, the 4 segment minimum require on AA for qualification, do the 4 must be AA marketed and operated or would AA operated suffice. (I realized after 7 years of EXP, I know nothing about the program)
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You'll lose the redeemable miles you would have earned on the ticket.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You'll lose the redeemable miles you would have earned on the ticket.
I wouldn't say lose, it's just simply deferred to next year when I actually do the flying. But I'll get the 8 SWUs right? Right?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:15 pm

Location: London, UK. AA EXP 5MM; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Ambassador Lifetime Platinum, Hertz PC
I am currently at 86k points and received the offer email a couple of weeks ago to retain EXP for $2,499. However, I have a paid Club Europe flight on BA LCY to GVA this week and a paid Business Class flight from LHR to MIA next week. Obviously this won't take me to EXP, but will I still have to pay $2,499, or is it pro-rated to the miles flown?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Noctilux
I am currently at 86k points and received the offer email a couple of weeks ago to retain EXP for $2,499. However, I have a paid Club Europe flight on BA LCY to GVA this week and a paid Business Class flight from LHR to MIA next week. Obviously this won't take me to EXP, but will I still have to pay $2,499, or is it pro-rated to the miles flown?

Thanks in advance.
It is adjusted, consult the links in the Wiki for details.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:30 pm

AA Advice - End of year decisions

I have Platinum right now and love it. I am about 3500 miles short of retaining platinum for next year.

I am really more interested in figuring out a way to get to EP, however, I would keep Platinum if EP is unreachable. I could use some help figuring out my best course of action.

Should I:

1) Try to get on a flight from PHX to JFK during the holidays for 4300 miles (I think) and $375 and keep my Platinum status. Can someone confirm this is right.

2) I can "boost" up to Platinum for $699 and save myself 10 hours of flying and missing my family

3) I've also heard I can wait until next year and do a "challenge" to get Platinum or possibly EP. I plan on doing a lot of travel early next year and would also consider a crazy mileage run to meet the challenge requirements. Does anyone have details on what or how this would happen?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by asudan
I have Platinum right now and love it. I am about 3500 miles short of retaining platinum for next year.

I am really more interested in figuring out a way to get to EP, however, I would keep Platinum if EP is unreachable. I could use some help figuring out my best course of action.

Should I:

1) Try to get on a flight from PHX to JFK during the holidays for 4300 miles (I think) and $375 and keep my Platinum status. Can someone confirm this is right.

2) I can "boost" up to Platinum for $699 and save myself 10 hours of flying and missing my family

3) I've also heard I can wait until next year and do a "challenge" to get Platinum or possibly EP. I plan on doing a lot of travel early next year and would also consider a crazy mileage run to meet the challenge requirements. Does anyone have details on what or how this would happen?

Thanks in advance!
Nothing is public about challenges next year but if you choose the boost you have until July to do it so you can wait and see. They haven't offered challenges for EXP, though they have offered matches to high status defectors from other programs, so you are unlikely to do better than PLT.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
On November 20 I received an offer to extend my Plat status (when I had around 42K miles):

Extend your Platinum status for only $899
AAdvantage Platinum Your American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Platinum benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Platinum status for only $899. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more. See a full list of benefits >>

Once you purchase, we'll extend your elite status through February 2017.

https://elite2016.aa.com/login.cfm
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pineapplejet
I received an offer in the email today to retain my EXP status for $1800 through Feb 2017.

This is a real dilemma for me because for my left over travel this year, I will earn just enough to cross the 100k threshold, but that ticket (changeable, refundable) is also $1800. I don't have to fly and I can change my travel until next year.

I want to ask the gurus of the forum that if I choose to pay to retain my EXP status, will I still get my 8 SWU as if qualified by flying? I called EXP desk and the AAngel said I would but I just want to be double sure.

Edit: Also 1 more question, the 4 segment minimum require on AA for qualification, do the 4 must be AA marketed and operated or would AA operated suffice. (I realized after 7 years of EXP, I know nothing about the program)
We've merged this into the buyback / renew / boost thread. /Moderator

Four qualifying segments for AA status must be AA marketed.

There will very probably be a challenge in 2016, but no details regarding the putative challenge have been announced or made known to us. Your choices are to accept the offer, to fly or to risk being allowed to take a challenge - ehich in the recent past, you could not do to retain or regain recent status, nor did it include Executive Platinum (other than for corporate tied challenges).

Next year, you will earn four SWU for achieving EP (100,000 EQM, as EQ Points will not exist). Will Boost or buyback earn eight or four? Probably; I don't know which and iirc nobody has posted.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 10, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.