Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pineapplejet
I wouldn't say lose, it's just simply deferred to next year when I actually do the flying. But I'll get the 8 SWUs right? Right?
You will still get the Systemwide Upgrades

You will lose out on points. $1800 spent on the renewal will not earn the points that travelling would give you , but will save you wasting time taking flights for the sake of taking flights

It will cost you more since it will be $1800 for renewal plus the price of the deferred trip rather than just $1800
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by asudan
Should I:

1) Try to get on a flight from PHX to JFK during the holidays for 4300 miles (I think) and $375 and keep my Platinum status. Can someone confirm this is right.

2) I can "boost" up to Platinum for $699 and save myself 10 hours of flying and missing my family

3) I've also heard I can wait until next year and do a "challenge" to get Platinum or possibly EP. I plan on doing a lot of travel early next year and would also consider a crazy mileage run to meet the challenge requirements. Does anyone have details on what or how this would happen?
I wouldn't count on the challenge.

The options for me would be: $699 cash VS $375 + 10 hours flying.
mmm...only you can answer the above...
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
I have Platinum right now and love it. I am about 3500 miles short of retaining platinum for next year.

I am really more interested in figuring out a way to get to EP, however, I would keep Platinum if EP is unreachable. I could use some help figuring out my best course of action.

Should I:

1) Try to get on a flight from PHX to JFK during the holidays for 4300 miles (I think) and $375 and keep my Platinum status. Can someone confirm this is right.

2) I can "boost" up to Platinum for $699 and save myself 10 hours of flying and missing my family

3) I've also heard I can wait until next year and do a "challenge" to get Platinum or possibly EP. I plan on doing a lot of travel early next year and would also consider a crazy mileage run to meet the challenge requirements. Does anyone have details on what or how this would happen?

Thanks in advance!
I'm assuming you are in PHX from your post. You could do a couple PHX-DFW turns for ~$130. Each RT would net you 1736 miles, so 2 would be 3,472, right around 3500 for about $260-$270 total.

Example:
Wed Dec 16 ($131)
AA# 1738: 01:50 am PHX - 05:04 am DFW
AA# 165: 06:00 am DFW - 07:38 am PHX

Edit: Even cheaper on the 17th, so you could do it all for $242:
Thu Dec 16 ($111)
AA# 452: 06:05 am DFW - 07:40 am PHX

Edit #2: If you really want to do JFK, you could do PHX-JFK on the night of the 13th at 10pm, with an immediate turn around and be back at 10am Monday the 14th for $291.

Last edited by Phasers; Dec 10, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I have Platinum right now and love it. I am about 3500 miles short of retaining platinum for next year.

I am really more interested in figuring out a way to get to EP, however, I would keep Platinum if EP is unreachable. I could use some help figuring out my best course of action.

Should I:

Thanks in advance!
Here is my opinion, you can do an MR for a lot less than the buy up. I understand that time away from family has cost, heck, bring them along, will still be cheaper, go to lunch some place and back. Another thing to consider is the opportunity cost as I say, what if they ask for volunteers, voucher time and your trip is free. Just a thought.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Should I:

Thanks in advance!
I'd personally just fly it. At least you're saving $350 and actually getting something for your $350 vs just $699 going into the pocket of AA. Unless you just don't have the time at all between now and 12/31.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Phasers
I'm assuming you are in PHX from your post. You could do a couple PHX-DFW turns for ~$130. Each RT would net you 1736 miles, so 2 would be 3,472, right around 3500 for about $260-$270 total.

Example:
Wed Dec 16 ($131)
AA# 165: 06:00 am DFW - 07:38 am PHX

Edit: Even cheaper on the 17th, so you could do it all for $242:
Thu Dec 16 ($111)
AA# 452: 06:05 am DFW - 07:40 am PHX

Edit #2: If you really want to do JFK, you could do PHX-JFK on the night of the 13th at 10pm, with an immediate turn around and be back at 10am Monday the 14th for $291.
Thanks! Both of these look like good options!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I wouldn't count on the challenge.

The options for me would be: $699 cash VS $375 + 10 hours flying.
mmm...only you can answer the above...
Good call. I don't want to have to count on the challenge - and if it happens I can do that as well.

10 hours of flying for me doesn't really matter much. I'll sleep and/or work most of it. Not the most fun thing in the world but if it gets me status for an entire year it's worth it.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Good call. I don't want to have to count on the challenge - and if it happens I can do that as well.
Bear in mind that you presumably have status until March 1st. and that you do not have to buy the boost until then. So you have some leeway to decide if you take that route and then a challenge is offered. However if you decide to do the flying then you do indeed have to get it in before January 1st.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
wonder how much revenue this elite status buy-up/retain/boost program with generate?

not close enough to EXP for this to be an issue myself, content with PLT for 2016

happy landings, FT'ers
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80
wonder how much revenue this elite status buy-up/retain/boost program with generate?

not close enough to EXP for this to be an issue myself, content with PLT for 2016

happy landings, FT'ers
It probably serves more than one purpose: it provides a means for someone who can really get their money's worth out of the status to boost or renew; it generates some revenue; and it allows them to handle people who say they are only a few miles short. It must at least be worth the trouble of administering it and it does cushion people whose earning plans go wrong.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:17 pm

Location: London, UK. AA EXP 5MM; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Ambassador Lifetime Platinum, Hertz PC
Problem with cost of renewal

Originally Posted by Noctilux
I am currently at 86k points and received the offer email a couple of weeks ago to retain EXP for $2,499. However, I have a paid Club Europe flight on BA LCY to GVA this week and a paid Business Class flight from LHR to MIA next week. Obviously this won't take me to EXP, but will I still have to pay $2,499, or is it pro-rated to the miles flown?
Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It is adjusted, consult the links in the Wiki for details.
I am now at 96K points and when I tried to buy the offer, which should have been $1,199; it insisted that I must still pay $2,499. Any idea what I should do?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Noctilux
I am now at 96K points and when I tried to buy the offer, which should have been $1,199; it insisted that I must still pay $2,499. Any idea what I should do?
I would try calling if the points have shown up in your account, there may be some internal update lag. Otherwise you could wait a bit if you aren't in a hurry.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Bear in mind that you presumably have status until March 1st. and that you do not have to buy the boost until then. So you have some leeway to decide if you take that route and then a challenge is offered. However if you decide to do the flying then you do indeed have to get it in before January 1st.
I was looking through the boost offer terms and conditions, but could not find where it says how long the boost offer is valid. Do we have till Mar1 to pay up as MADPhil says.

I dont think anyone can cut it any closer than I have managed this year. I am counting on a Dec 31 return from Europe to get me just over the 100K EQM (and 100K EQP) mark. If I dont make the trip on Dec31, can I at least pay $1199 after Jan1 to requalify for EXP?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by sunnikrish2
I was looking through the boost offer terms and conditions, but could not find where it says how long the boost offer is valid. Do we have till Mar1 to pay up as MADPhil says.
The T&C are here: https://elite2016.aa.com/terms.cfm

I think that you actually have until July 31 on re-reading them. They speak somewhat ambiguously of the end of February but I think that just means that the qualifying status is that which you hold through then.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Interesting offer... I was 1503 miles short of renewing EXP on Monday and they wanted $1,199 to renew. I was lucky to take a same day RT ticket PHL>FLL yesterday for $151. I'm now a renewed EXP for next year.

AA's calculations are way out of line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.