FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-guide-lax-los-angeles-international-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

AndyB Jan 7, 2019 4:25 am

Short Transfer time LAX - Is 1 hr 50 mins enough?

Hello!

My first AA J flight tomorrow, LHR to LAX, then I’m connecting to a flight to LAS but the connection time is only 1 hour and 50 minutes, assuming the flight lands on time..

Couple of questions please..
1/Will my luggage be checked through all the way Vegas or will I have to pick it up and then check in all over again in LA?
2/ If yes to checked through, the arrival gate is 41 and the departure gate is 42B, looking at the map it’s 30 yards apart.. I’m guessing I’ll have to clear immigration first though? Is there a flight transfers immigration area and is it any faster?

How close am I cutting this? Yesterday’s flight landed almost 50 minutes late.. :(

Thanks in advance!

fotographer Jan 7, 2019 4:54 am

1. yes your luggage will be checked all the way to Las Vegas,
how ever, since LAX is your first port of call in the US, you will have to clear customs and immigration and then recheck (hand over ) the bag to AA reps outside of customs etc
2. You will exit customs etc , and again go thru security (internal US) , there are not flight transfer immigration areas, it would apply if you are in transit to another country other then the US

Just to note, if you are on one PNR, AA will protect you if you miss your original flight and put you on another flight to Vegas

3. Hope you come back richer then poorer

beachfan Jan 7, 2019 4:59 am

You will not deplane through gate 41, as you have to clear customs and immigration. Do you have global entry? If so, then I’d say you are fine. If not, but on one PNR, you will be protected and If it isn’t the last flight of the day to LAS, then no need to worry.

if no global entry and not one PNR, then given the TSA sick out, you might have a cause for concern.

ttuna3 Jan 7, 2019 5:01 am

A bit closer than I'd like but if that's the way AA originally ticketed it then you're still within MCT. If you miss the original flight because of IRROPS there are four flights after 4pm from LAX to LAS and AA will put you on the next flight out.

You will need to clear Immigration, collect and then recheck your bags. The flights from LHR should come in when the CBP station in T4 is open so you won't have to hoof it to TBIT and then back to T4 (unless you get a bus gate then you'll have to get back to T4). All of the CBP stations AA uses have a Bag Recheck right after you leave Customs so you don't need to drag your bags all the way to the normal baggage check. If things are close then AA will likely expedite you through TSA.

Hope this helps.

AndyB Jan 7, 2019 6:30 am

Thanks everyone!! :-)

I’m going (a little late) to CES so no gambling involved.. (yeah right!;))
Flight was booked on the same ticket so will be protected.. Just hope first class on the next flight isn’t full if I miss it!

guv1976 Jan 7, 2019 8:05 am

Originally Posted by AndyB (Post 30621626)

Flight was booked on the same ticket so will be protected.. Just hope first class on the next flight isn’t full if I miss it!

AA policy is to protect you even on separate tickets, as long as both tickets are on AA or oneworld and AA. ;)

IADCAflyer Jan 7, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by AndyB (Post 30621626)

Its a 235 mile flight from LAX to LAS and flight time will be about 45 minutes. You'll get a bag of chips or cookies (or two, or five if you want) and a drink or two.

You'll probably have more available to eat at the Admiral's club.

QueenOfCoach Jan 7, 2019 9:56 am

Originally Posted by AndyB (Post 30621325)
Hello!

My first AA J flight tomorrow, LHR to LAX, then I’m connecting to a flight to LAS but the connection time is only 1 hour and 50 minutes, assuming the flight lands on time..

Couple of questions please..
1/Will my luggage be checked through all the way Vegas or will I have to pick it up and then check in all over again in LA?
2/ If yes to checked through, the arrival gate is 41 and the departure gate is 42B, looking at the map it’s 30 yards apart.. I’m guessing I’ll have to clear immigration first though? Is there a flight transfers immigration area and is it any faster?

How close am I cutting this? Yesterday’s flight landed almost 50 minutes late.. :(

Thanks in advance!

Here are some very specific instructions:

1. Assuming you land at T4 Gate 41, you should be directed to the T4 CBP area. Walk down some hallways, down an escalator, just follow the crowd.

2. Get through the two steps of CBP: Immigration and Customs. I am assuming you are not a US Citizen and don't have Global Entry. If that is correct, then stand in the "Non US Citizen" line. This could take a while.

3. Once you collect your checked luggage, get in line for the Customs check. This is usually fairly rapid.

4. Past Customs, now that you are "officially landed" in the US, there is a baggage re-check area. Your checked luggage will already have LAS tags from London, so just hand over your checked luggage to the airline employees there. This should be a matter of seconds. I have, in the past, just shoved my tagged, wheeled luggage in their direction without even breaking stride.

5. Keep on going until you get into the Arrivals part of the airport, where you will see meeters-and-greeters.

6. Now, you have to go from landside to airside. You need to go upstairs from the Arrivals level to the Departures level, where you will go will through the usual TSA checkpoint just like all departing passengers. There is an elevator available, but I can't remember exactly where it is in relation to the CBP exit point. Ask an airport employee to point you in the right direction.

7. Once you are in the Departures level, take escalators up to the TSA checkpoint levels, go through the checkpoint, then proceed down the concourse to your departing gate.

Personally, I think you are cutting it close with 1 hour 50 minutes between flights, especially if you are not a US Citizen and don't have Global Entry. Flights start boarding about 20 minutes or so before flight time and they close the doors at T-10, or even earlier. However, you will be booked on a later flight if necessary.

I wouldn't worry much about getting First Class. It's a really short flight. You can put up with anything for a half hour or so.

If all else fails, you can rent a car and drive to Las Vegas. It's not that far. Besides, that means you will arrive in LV already in possession of a car and won't have to deal with that at the LV airport.

From where I live in north Los Angeles County, I NEVER fly to Las Vegas. I always drive my own car.

kmandrew Jan 7, 2019 10:03 am

We arrive from NAN on an AA award ticket on in coach at 11:45 am then on to Omaha at 5 pm. No AC access so Priority Pass it is, I see a couple of options what would make the most logistical sense?

SeattleDavid Jan 7, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30622596)
We arrive from NAN on an AA award ticket on in coach at 11:45 am then on to Omaha at 5 pm. No AC access so Priority Pass it is, I see a couple of options what would make the most logistical sense?

At that time the Korean lounge is one Priority Pass option and PG Chang's (restaurant) is another. In fact you can do both.

The Alaska Board Room is also an option but it is a long walk from T4 and there are frequent reports of admission being declined due to the lounge being full.

bzcat Jan 7, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30622596)

KE lounge should be open so that's your best bet. It's never that busy so PP entry should be no problem.

AS lounge is likely to be closed to PP during peak times so it will be a real bummer to walk all the way to T6 to be denied entry.

SkyTeam777 Jan 13, 2019 1:10 pm

I’m always surprised when AA doesn’t pick up at least F pax and CKs to drive them separately instead of having to wait in that crowded bus.

AndyB Jan 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 30622559)
Here are some very specific instructions:

Wow, thanks! It was a breeze, flight landed on time but by the time I got off the plane i only had 90 minutes, got given an orange envelope picked up my luggage 15 minutes later, dropped it off 2 minutes later, walked between terminals, sailed through security, was a bit late to board (certainly not last) as I hit the lounge to freshen up and get a drink, so had to check my wheeled carry on but it was fine..

I must say, the first flight was lovely, I fly a lot and this flight was much nicer than BA. Virgin and about on a par with Emirates I thought. Will fly AA J again soon I suspect:)

kmandrew Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30625119)
KE lounge should be open so that's your best bet. It's never that busy so PP entry should be no problem.

AS lounge is likely to be closed to PP during peak times so it will be a real bummer to walk all the way to T6 to be denied entry.

Once we land from NAN and go through passport control will we be able to get back to where the KE lounge is?
Our LAX-OMA is at 5pm on a Saturday, assuming we get in what would be good time to leave the lounge?

SeattleDavid Jan 21, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 30681948)

Once we land from NAN and go through passport control will we be able to get back to where the KE lounge is?
Our LAX-OMA is at 5pm on a Saturday, assuming we get in what would be good time to leave the lounge?

Yes, you can, - go to baggage recheck and then turn sharp right and go through TSA checkpoint there and then up the elevator and you'll be halfway between TBIT and T4 - turn right for Korean lounge.