FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-guide-lax-los-angeles-international-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

SeattleDavid Dec 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30553808)
Remote gate arrival is bused to TBIT. There is no sterile bus gates at T4, only secured bus gates (to/from Eagles Nest).

Also there is no walkway from TBIT immigration to T4. It is an one-way only passage from T4 to TBIT immigration. If you try to go the other way, TSA will stop you.

Your information is quite out of date - remote gate arrivals are (at least sometimes) bussed to TBIT for a walk to customs and immigration at T4 (using the same walkway that used to be used to get people from T4 to TBIT baggage claim). In fact if you try to get off the bus and go into TBIT, the security folks will not let you through.

I don't know how all the different configurations work, but having arrived on LHR-LAX twice now at remote gates, I know that those flights went through T4 customs and immigration via buses to TBIT first.

SeattleDavid Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen (Post 30553026)
Does the flight connections security check point at TBIT have TSA precheck lanes? I will definitely have to use that check point on my LHR-LAX-SAN routing, but was wondering if I could used that on the LAX-LHR outbound if things on the departure level are a bit busy.

LHR-LAX generally arrives at T4, or at remote gates - and I'm pretty certain you'll go through Customs and Immigration at T4 and then you would use the TSA-Pre lane in T4, rather than walking back to TBIT.

Last time I arrived at TBIT (before T4 had all the facilities - about 6 months ago) the TBIT security lanes only had pre-check-Lite, but since they also never have anyone waiting, it is still quite quick. However, I've never found the T4 pre-check line to be anything other than quick too (but maybe I'm just lucky).

Reetmafreen Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 30554280)
LHR-LAX generally arrives at T4, or at remote gates - and I'm pretty certain you'll go through Customs and Immigration at T4 and then you would use the TSA-Pre lane in T4, rather than walking back to TBIT.

Last time I arrived at TBIT (before T4 had all the facilities - about 6 months ago) the TBIT security lanes only had pre-check-Lite, but since they also never have anyone waiting, it is still quite quick. However, I've never found the T4 pre-check line to be anything other than quick too (but maybe I'm just lucky).

sorry, should have mentioned that I’ll be on BA metal for the LHR-LAX route as I wanted to avail myself of the CCR at LHR on the way home, so I’ll be clearing immigration and customs at TBIT. I also hope to have time to stick my head in the door of the QA F lounge at TBIT between flights, hence preferring to go through TSA at TBIT before decanting myself to the eagles nest for the final puddle jump home.

VickiSoCal Dec 21, 2018 10:27 am

Just to verify because I want to be there the second she comes out :-), picking up daughter, coming in to Gate 43 today from LHR, has GE and one gate-checked bag (darn BA at EDI). She will come out on the lower level at T4 on the side nearest TBIT?

pmblinn Dec 21, 2018 10:36 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 30561554)
Just to verify because I want to be there the second she comes out :-), picking up daughter, coming in to Gate 43 today from LHR, has GE and one gate-checked bag (darn BA at EDI). She will come out on the lower level at T4 on the side nearest TBIT?

That has been my experience arriving international at T4, yes.

VickiSoCal Dec 21, 2018 10:51 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 30561600)
That has been my experience arriving international at T4, yes.

Thanks, we just arrived there less than a month ago out of NRT, but we had no bags and dumped out there and my memory was hazy about them having possibly pointed us a different way with no bags.

bzcat Dec 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 30561554)

AA109 yes... it usually will arrive during the time T4 immigration is open.
AA135 maybe... it sometimes arrive after T4 immigration is closed. The last 2 times I took 135, I ended up walking to TBIT immigration.

VickiSoCal Dec 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30562203)
AA109 yes... it usually will arrive during the time T4 immigration is open.
AA135 maybe... it sometimes arrive after T4 immigration is closed. The last 2 times I took 135, I ended up walking to TBIT immigration.

Currently projected to arrive at 4:39 so fingers crossed. Same parking either way I guess.

TWA884 Dec 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 30562220)
Currently projected to arrive at 4:39 so fingers crossed. Same parking either way I guess.

You should be OK.

VickiSoCal Dec 22, 2018 8:40 am

For future reference AA135 did indeed come out at T4 international arrivals. Her bag did not, it seems to have decided to stay in London.

pmblinn Dec 22, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 30564505)
For future reference AA135 did indeed come out at T4 international arrivals. Her bag did not, it seems to have decided to stay in London.

Well at least the important piece made it home!

anabolism Dec 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 30552831)
That has changed, recently. The T4 CBP area is now open for business. I went through it just last month.

It's much more pleasant than the long schelpp through TBIT.

That's terrific to hear! I last landed at T4 back in the summer, and we had to do the long walk, and further back was bussed from T4 to TBIT (wow is that annoying).

Back when the T4 facilities closed, I'd read (on FT) that AA had to pay to staff it. I wonder what made them decide it was worth it again?

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen (Post 30553026)
Does the flight connections security check point at TBIT have TSA precheck lanes? I will definitely have to use that check point on my LHR-LAX-SAN routing, but was wondering if I could used that on the LAX-LHR outbound if things on the departure level are a bit busy.

In the past, after clearing immigration/customs at TBIT, I always went outside and walked to T4 to take advantage of Pre-Check.

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30553808)
Precheck is now operating at all TBIT TSA locations.

Good to know TBIT now has Pre-Check, as walking outside is unpleasant due to people smoking.

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 30554269)
remote gate arrivals are (at least sometimes) bussed to TBIT for a walk to customs and immigration at T4 (using the same walkway that used to be used to get people from T4 to TBIT baggage claim).

I wonder why? Maybe has something to do with the cost?

bzcat Dec 26, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 30568792)

I wonder why? Maybe has something to do with the cost?

I don't think it is cost. Sometimes there are delays so the gates the flight is assigned to is not available. It is then usually up to the crew to request alternate gate or... wait. The alternate gate could be the remote pad. And the airlines also has operational consideration... if they need the airplane to turn for another flight in a few hours, they will tell the crew to wait. If not (e.g. plane will rest overnight), they let the crew ask for alternate gate. And that's how you end up at the remote LAX parking gate.

anabolism Dec 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30575754)
I don't think it is cost. Sometimes there are delays so the gates the flight is assigned to is not available. It is then usually up to the crew to request alternate gate or... wait. The alternate gate could be the remote pad. And the airlines also has operational consideration... if they need the airplane to turn for another flight in a few hours, they will tell the crew to wait. If not (e.g. plane will rest overnight), they let the crew ask for alternate gate. And that's how you end up at the remote LAX parking gate.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering why AA would bus from a hard stand (remote gate) to TBIT and then have people walk to T4 to clear customs and immigration, per @SeattleDavid's report that I quoted. I wasn't wondering why AA would use a hard stand/remote gate.

carlosdca Dec 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 30576516)
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering why AA would bus from a hard stand (remote gate) to TBIT and then have people walk to T4 to clear customs and immigration, per @SeattleDavid's report that I quoted. I wasn't wondering why AA would use a hard stand/remote gate.

I am going to guess that the TBIT buses are not AA operated and only go from remote gate to TBIT bus gate. Those buses are not supposed to go to T4.