FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-guide-lax-los-angeles-international-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

JDiver Jun 16, 13 2:07 pm

GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

1 Attachment(s)
This post reserved for possible future use

21 airlines will make terminal changes at LAX on 12, 14 and 16. AA will not be affected, but Qatar will be moving from T-2 to TBIT.

BearX220 Jan 14, 18 8:25 am

I wouldn't do it. Even if the Eagle's Nest buses are running properly. Depart origin 15 minutes late or more, and/or go through an extended arrival taxi plus a 5- or 10-minute shuttle bus delay, and you are not at the gate for your onward flight 40 minutes before departure.

I would book a tight connect in the opposite direction (intl --> dom) because there's bound to be another onward flight soon enough, but not when your outbound international flight is 1x/day.

huggin Jan 14, 18 9:27 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 29290434)
Is the Eagle flight a morning or afternoon departure? (Early AM is less risky)

Can you limit yourself to 1 "personal item" sized carry-on? (Waiting for a gate-checked bag will cut into your connection time)

Are you familiar with the AA terminals at LAX, and are you proficient in checking flight status? (I often see harried connecting travelers running in the wrong direction and/or failing to notice a gate change)

The Eagle flight is from SJC and in Early AM that is expected to reach LAX on 8:50AM and the international flight takes off on 9:50AM. I don't need to check in any bags at LAX since I can check all my bags at SJC. I'm not familiar with LAX but checking flight status should not be a problem.

huggin Jan 14, 18 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 29290370)
I'm not sure that I would book this connection unless I had a backup plan. In addition to the typical delays that can scuttle such a short connection, the shuttle ride to the terminal can be very unpredictable....

The shuttle is what I'm worrying about. Is there a way to avoid the shuttle?

thunderlounge Jan 14, 18 9:36 am

I wouldn't do it either. Simply for the reason that your INTL leg is going to start boarding 15 minutes after your Eagle flight lands. So even though you have an hour before departure, you actually have about 45 minutes to make it from gate to gate before they will potentially shut the door. If you are lucky, you might have 50 minutes tops before that door is shut.

huggin Jan 14, 18 9:37 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 29291142)
Say what? AE flies into the Eagles Nest, it is not Terminal 5.

I have flown into the Eagle's Nest about 20-25 times and it has never taken anywhere remotely close to 30 minutes. On average it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to T4. Certainly it could take 30 minutes, but I would consider that to be an outlier and to be under the worst circumstances. Every time I have been there, there have been multiple buses running and rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus to arrive.

MCT according to AA is 90 minutes domestic to international. If arriving at Eagle's Next you would take the bus to T4 then walk to TBIT via the air-side walkway. Can it be done in 60 minutes? Yes, if everything aligns well and you don't mind being stressed. 90 minutes I would consider the most realistic minimum time. If you decide to chance it and if you are on separate tickets, make sure you can check-in inline for your international flight (often easier said that done). I don't think you can be on the same ticket as 60 minuets doesn't meet MCT.

It's on the same ticket from aa.com, otherwise I won't create this post to ask the question. I checked a few days and found the aa international flight was in T4, so I need to go from "eagle's nest" to T4.

C17PSGR Jan 14, 18 9:53 am

I go between the eagle's nest and the main terminal at LAX 2 to 4 times a month. You can only do it via a shuttle bus. Last night, it was under 10 minutes. Under most circumstances, your one hour connection is perfectly doable. Just make sure that someone checks your documents at SJC so it is marked as Doc's okay.

that being said, sometimes the lines for the shuttle bus to the remote terminal seem long and I can since a lot of stress around me. Additionally, some of the international flights depart from the international terminal. That can add another 15 minutes in Walking time depending how quickly you walk.

and of course, that leaves the issue of the occasional flight delays. As in another post, if the consequence is you're going to miss your sister's wedding or a billion dollar business deal if you miss connect, take an earlier flight. Normally, I'd be okay personally with a 1 hour connection you describe but would prefer a little longer all things being equal.

Antarius Jan 14, 18 10:02 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 29291602)
I go between the eagle's nest and the main terminal at LAX 2 to 4 times a month. You can only do it via a shuttle bus. Last night, it was under 10 minutes. Under most circumstances, your one hour connection is perfectly doable. Just make sure that someone checks your documents at SJC so it is marked as Doc's okay.

that being said, sometimes the lines for the shuttle bus to the remote terminal seem long and I can since a lot of stress around me. Additionally, some of the international flights depart from the international terminal. That can add another 15 minutes in Walking time depending how quickly you walk.

and of course, that leaves the issue of the occasional flight delays. As in another post, if the consequence is you're going to miss your sister's wedding or a billion dollar business deal if you miss connect, take an earlier flight. Normally, I'd be okay personally with a 1 hour connection you describe but would prefer a little longer all things being equal.

The last two eagle flights into LAX for me ended up with us at a remote stand of the eagles nest.. so it was Aircraft --> bus --> Eagles nest --> Bus --> T4 --> TBIT for me. Which took forever.

I wouldn't do an hour connection, personally.

TomMM Jan 14, 18 10:34 am

Originally Posted by huggin (Post 29291520)
The Eagle flight is from SJC and in Early AM that is expected to reach LAX on 8:50AM and the international flight takes off on 9:50AM. I don't need to check in any bags at LAX since I can check all my bags at SJC. I'm not familiar with LAX but checking flight status should not be a problem.

If a flight departs at 9:50AM, that doesn't mean boarding continues till 9:49AM.

lobo411 Jan 14, 18 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by huggin (Post 29291530)

If your flight from SJC is on time, the shuttle will be no problem.

Gig103 Jan 14, 18 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 29292151)
If your flight from SJC is on time, the shuttle will be no problem.

But OP should ask himself when the next international departure is on a Oneworld partner, in case the flight from SJC is not on time. Bay Area is subject to weather restrictions for fog pretty often.

whimike Jan 14, 18 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by huggin (Post 29291559)
It's on the same ticket from aa.com, otherwise I won't create this post to ask the question. I checked a few days and found the aa international flight was in T4, so I need to go from "eagle's nest" to T4.

All I know is that 3-days ago I tried to ticket SJC-LAX-AUH with a 75-minute connection time and AA refused to ticket it stating the MCT was 90-minutes. Not sure how they are ticketing your flight with only a 60-minute connection time?

Coming from San Jose on a single ticket, with your international flight departing from T4, makes it more doable with a 60-minute connection time, but you will likely have a higher stress level in the process.

whimike Jan 14, 18 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 29292255)
But OP should ask himself when the next international departure is on a Oneworld partner, in case the flight from SJC is not on time. Bay Area is subject to weather restrictions for fog pretty often.

This is inaccurate, SJC rarely has any such weather issues.

IADCAflyer Jan 14, 18 1:55 pm

Can you take the early flight out of SFO? Gets in at 7:15 am.

jcatman Jan 14, 18 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by huggin (Post 29291530)

You cannot avoid the shuttle.....it's the only way to get out of the Eagle's Nest and over to Terminal 4 or Terminal 5.

The shuttle is not your enemy here. The newer/smaller shuttles are reliable and more frequent. The bigger issue is the timeliness of your inbound flight's arrival at LAX, and whether or not a gate will be immediately available when your flight from SJC lands.