FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-guide-lax-los-angeles-international-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

stlcpa Apr 26, 2018 12:58 pm

I have a 38 minutes connection time do to an AA schedule change going from STL-LAX-MFR. I am certain the MFR flight will be leaving from the regional terminal so do I have any chance at all at making the connection without the lax-mfr leg being delayed? Any tips on getting AA to hold the connection?

carlosdca Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by stlcpa (Post 29686872)
I have a 38 minutes connection time do to an AA schedule change going from STL-LAX-MFR. I am certain the MFR flight will be leaving from the regional terminal so do I have any chance at all at making the connection without the lax-mfr leg being delayed? Any tips on getting AA to hold the connection?

Too tight.
It is an involuntary schedule change right? Call AA to re-schedule. Shouldn't be a problem.

dgold21 May 2, 2018 7:28 pm

Connecting at LAX, recheck for TBIT

I have 2.5 hours between arriving at LAX on AA (T4 I'm guessing) and departing TBIT for London. Is this enough time to collect checked bags, recheck, and get through TBIT security? What is the best way to get from T4 baggage claim to TBIT departures to recheck? Thank you for any help you can provide!

lds89 May 2, 2018 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by dgold21 (Post 29709265)
I have 2.5 hours between arriving at LAX on AA (T4 I'm guessing) and departing TBIT for London. Is this enough time to collect checked bags, recheck, and get through TBIT security? What is the best way to get from T4 baggage claim to TBIT departures to recheck? Thank you for any help you can provide!

Are you flying BA to London? AA should throughcheck your baggage if that is the case assuming it's on the same ticket.

If not, or if separate tickets - T4 is right next to TBIT. Once you collect your bags, you can walk out of T4, turn left, walk about 50 yards, and you'll be at TBIT arrivals where you can take the escalator up to the check-in hall. Depending on the flight time to LHR TBIT security can be a bit of a mess - you can also walk right back to T4 to go through security after check-in and walk the air-side connector as well. 2.5 hours should be doable assuming your flight is on time into Los Angeles.

See this thread and PDF (pdf from AA is second link)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html
https://www.aasaleslink.com/en-US/do...te_Tickets.pdf

mvoight May 2, 2018 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by dgold21 (Post 29709265)

Go outside, turn left, walk to next building, turn left, enter building, seek out your airline's counters

dgold21 May 2, 2018 8:57 pm

Thank you for the quick help, much appreciated!

mvoight May 2, 2018 9:42 pm

Add more time if you are on an Eagle flight, because then you have to wait for a bus to the main terminal

Repooc17 May 2, 2018 9:48 pm

Double check flight status on the day of. AA has flights leaving both T4 and TBIT to London.

dgold21 May 2, 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 29709594)
Add more time if you are on an Eagle flight, because then you have to wait for a bus to the main terminal

It's American Eagle. So in this case 2.5 hours isn't enough time? Do they give you your checked bags there at the remote terminal or do you still have to go to baggage claim in the main terminal?

rbAA May 3, 2018 12:11 am

Originally Posted by dgold21 (Post 29709758)
It's American Eagle. So in this case 2.5 hours isn't enough time? Do they give you your checked bags there at the remote terminal or do you still have to go to baggage claim in the main terminal?

Usually, AE baggage goes to T5 baggage claim, so a little more of a walk to TBIT, plus the bus ride from the Eagle satellite, but you should be OK if on time arrival. The only bags you can collect at the satellite are gate checked bags, which are brought to the ramp/walk way to the terminal.

swingaling May 3, 2018 7:09 am

A 2.5hr D->I connection at LAX on separate tickets and with checked bags? Pretty risky...

Often1 May 3, 2018 7:15 am

OP - Would you confirm whether you are arriving and departing LAX on separate tickets?

dgold21 May 3, 2018 7:58 am

Yes it's separate tickets, the AE flight is a positioning flight. It seems that I should probably save the stress and change it. Very thankful for the insight!

JDiver May 3, 2018 8:48 am

Originally Posted by dgold21 (Post 29710957)
Yes it's separate tickets, the AE flight is a positioning flight. It seems that I should probably save the stress and change it. Very thankful for the insight!

Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for further information on LAX.

Bussing to Terminal 5 (not 4 - that will waste considerable time), recovering baggage from the carousel, walking it to TBIT (use escalators to go up to departure level once you are there), queuing up, checking in, processing sometimes lengthy security queues... on separate tickets.

It can be done, assuming you arrive spot on time, but in my opinion with some stress.

QueenOfCoach May 3, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by dgold21 (Post 29710957)

Being cautious person that I am, I suggest you consider flying in to Los Angeles the day before, then spending the night at an airport hotel. You have a huge risk if your flight into LAX is at all delayed. Get a good nights sleep and be totally rested and rejuvenated before getting on the London flight.