FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-guide-lax-los-angeles-international-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

bzcat Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

If you Uber, you can meet at Rideshare E. Your friend should exit T2 lower (arrival) level and use the crosswalk and walk towards to LAX theme building (the round thing in the middle) and continue to T6 which is directly at the end of the road. From there, your friend can go to upper (departure) level and find Rideshare E. This will take about 7 or 8 minutes.

You can just exit T6 upper level and walk towards Rideshare E. This will take about 2 minutes.

Edit: LAX re-labeled the pickup point... T6 pickup is now F not E. See latest map in the link below

https://www.flylax.com/-/media/flylax/ground-transportation/ground-transportation-waiting-areas.ashx?la=en&hash=6A0090921578656CABB9BC5F4DCB 182E9E239198

If you are going to rent a car, just hop on the rental car shuttle bus and meet at the rental car counter. No point trying to meet up at LAX.

Colin Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm

T7 rideshare pickup G (renumbered from F) is faster for pickups due to the cutover from T1 and the ability to be assigned to a rider just dropping off at any terminal. I always walk to T7 for arrivals at any of the south terminals (for north terminals walk to Hyatt).

wdwright Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Eagle's Nest to T6 Alaska connection

XNA-LAX-SFO is a route I fly several times a month: 2PM AA6022 connecting to AA1253. Sadly the 5:00PM AA1253 seems to be going away on May 3 so there is no longer a valid connection for AA6022. I am nearly always upgraded on AA6022 and I would like to keep using it. I can make this work in May by flying AA6022, arriving at 3:46 and then taking the 5:30 Alaska 933 to SFO. I realize that a misconnect may well result in me buying another LAX-SFO ticket. I'd take the shuttle from the Eagle's nest to T5 and I understand there is a terminal tunnel connection there to T6 where the Alaska flight leaves. Does this seem like a reasonable time to make this connection? Where is the T5-T6 tunnel connection?

flyingeph12 Apr 19, 2019 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by wdwright (Post 31019111)
XNA-LAX-SFO is a route I fly several times a month: 2PM AA6022 connecting to AA1253. Sadly the 5:00PM AA1253 seems to be going away on May 3 so there is no longer a valid connection for AA6022. I am nearly always upgraded on AA6022 and I would like to keep using it. I can make this work in May by flying AA6022, arriving at 3:46 and then taking the 5:30 Alaska 933 to SFO. I realize that a misconnect may well result in me buying another LAX-SFO ticket. I'd take the shuttle from the Eagle's nest to T5 and I understand there is a terminal tunnel connection there to T6 where the Alaska flight leaves. Does this seem like a reasonable time to make this connection? Where is the T5-T6 tunnel connection?

I think the connection is reasonable, and I wouldn't generally sweat it. The tunnel is the same one that connects T5 to T4 and can be accessed via escalators near the T5 admirals club (it's pretty hard to miss). Instead of heading straight at the bottom of the escalators (towards T4), turn right and you'll be heading towards T6.

Also, I would check to see if you can purchase the 5:30 AS flight as a codeshare on the same ticket as AA6022. If so, you'd be protected in case of misconnects.

wdwright Apr 19, 2019 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31019125)
I think the connection is reasonable, and I wouldn't generally sweat it. The tunnel is the same one that connects T5 to T4 and can be accessed via escalators near the T5 admirals club (it's pretty hard to miss). Instead of heading straight at the bottom of the escalators (towards T4), turn right and you'll be heading towards T6.

Also, I would check to see if you can purchase the 5:30 AS flight as a codeshare on the same ticket as AA6022. If so, you'd be protected in case of misconnects.

Thanks for the quick reply and the good info. You can buy the AS flight on AA.com with the rest of the trip but it turns a $500 dollar trip into a $1690 trip! Clearly, neither American nor Alaska want to encourage this routing.

flyingeph12 Apr 20, 2019 1:06 am

Originally Posted by wdwright (Post 31019173)
Thanks for the quick reply and the good info. You can buy the AS flight on AA.com with the rest of the trip but it turns a $500 dollar trip into a $1690 trip! Clearly, neither American nor Alaska want to encourage this routing.

Ouch! Well in that case, I wouldn’t be too worried about buying separate tickets in this case.

On top of the relatively comfortable connection time, Alaska actually has relatively good standby / same-day change policies, particularly for intra-California flights: standbys are free and confirmed changes are $25.

Finally, I would not hesitate to take the shuttle to T4 if that is the first shuttle that leaves the Eagle’s Nest. That shuttle will drop off right by the tunnel entrance to T5 and ultimately T6.

anabolism Apr 20, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by wdwright (Post 31019173)

Is the price increase for booking the AS flight as an AA code, or either as an AA code or AS prime?

If the price increase occurs even if the AS flight is booked as prime, one option would be to have a travel agent put the AA and AS flights into the same record, but issue separate tickets. That way you'd pay the separate ticket price but both flights would be in the same record, making protection easier as anyone looking can see you are connecting.

work2fly Apr 20, 2019 10:41 am

It looks like we have a 28 minute connection flying SFO-LAX-SAN. From SAN, we're flying JL to NRT and onto SIN. Although that connection time at LAX seems quite short, especially given we're coming from SFO, I figure if we miss the flight to SAN, there should be lots of other options to get us from LAX to SIN (JL, CX, even QR or BA)??

4x J awards, in case that matters.

SFO777 Apr 20, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 31020225)
It looks like we have a 28 minute connection flying SFO-LAX-SAN. From SAN, we're flying JL to NRT and onto SIN. Although that connection time at LAX seems quite short, especially given we're coming from SFO, I figure if we miss the flight to SAN, there should be lots of other options to get us from LAX to SIN (JL, CX, even QR or BA)?? 4x J awards, in case that matters.

Unless you are purposely trying to miss your SAN-NRT-SIN flight in hopes of a re-route, don't even think about a 28 minute LAX connection, especially from SFO. I'd call AA and have them move you to an earlier flight. 28 minutes may be legal but in no way sane or advisable. As for your optimism, how do you there would be 4 J seats all the way to SIN that night? On the same flights?

work2fly Apr 20, 2019 11:04 am

I needed 4x transpac awards about 90 days out, so I took what I could get. I'll look for and set flight alerts for earlier SFO-LAX and later LAX-SAN flights to provide a longer connection. We would love to fly the JL flights we have, I was just thinking of all the places to get stuck and needing a reroute, LAX at 10am would probably be the least worst place.

flyingeph12 Apr 20, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 31020281)
I needed 4x transpac awards about 90 days out, so I took what I could get. I'll look for and set flight alerts for earlier SFO-LAX and later LAX-SAN flights to provide a longer connection. We would love to fly the JL flights we have, I was just thinking of all the places to get stuck and needing a reroute, LAX at 10am would probably be the least worst place.

I agree that a 28-minute connection is not advisable. That said, it sounds like you would be taking an early morning flight from SFO (given the JL flight from SAN leaves at 1pm). I would be more confident of an on-time departure and arrival for an early morning SFO-LAX flight, and if it’s an Eagle flight, then you wouldn’t have to switch terminals. Couple all of that with the insane padding on SFO-LAX flights (~1hr 40min for a usually less than 1hr flight wheels up to wheels down), and it might not be as critical to change flights (even if it might be advisable).

anabolism Apr 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 31020225)
It looks like we have a 28 minute connection flying SFO-LAX-SAN. From SAN, we're flying JL to NRT and onto SIN. Although that connection time at LAX seems quite short, especially given we're coming from SFO, I figure if we miss the flight to SAN, there should be lots of other options to get us from LAX to SIN (JL, CX, even QR or BA)??

4x J awards, in case that matters.

SFO-LAX and LAX-SAN are both Eagle flights, using the remote terminal (so-called Eagle's Nest), which is why 28 minutes is legal.

What is your schedule? (I checked EF for SFO-LAX-SAN-NRT for a random day and it didn't even show any 28-minute connections at LAX, so I don't know which flights you are on and hence which later flights are available.) I suggest checking for later flights LAX-SAN. If you land at LAX late and hence miss your flight to SAN, AA should be able to put you on a later one assuming there are later flights you could take.

It's worth setting EF alerts for schedule changes on all your currently booked flights. If either SFO-SAN or SAN-LAX have a schedule change that makes your connection violate MCT (which I think is 35 minutes for Eagle-Eagle) then call AA and they will move you to a different flight. If either has a schedule change that doesn't cause your connection to violate MCT but is still significant (I think 90 minutes change) then agents can move you to a different flight. And of course you can set EF alerts for T or U space to open up.

SFO777 Apr 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 31020477)
SFO-LAX and LAX-SAN are both Eagle flights, using the remote terminal (so-called Eagle's Nest), which is why 28 minutes is legal.

From OP's subsequent post, it's sounds like an early morning SFO-LAX flight which may eliminate the possibility of an earlier flight. f that is the case, I'd consider flying SFO-SAN the night before your SAN-NRT flight. That would eliminate any misconnect risk and also the need to get up at 3am. :eek:

work2fly Apr 21, 2019 2:30 am

Thank you for all of the replies.

Our SFO-LAX is scheduled for 8:01am - 9:40am connecting to LAX-SAN scheduled for 10:08am - 11:03am. Both flights are American Eagle so 25 min MCT at LAX. These flights are in early July, so still fog season, at least where I live on the coast.

Our SAN - NRT flight departs at 1:25pm.

There is an earlier SFO -LAX flight at 6am, with award space, but the 3am wake up isn't very appealing. Flying down to SAN the night before, especially if on an AS non-stop, would be a more palatable option.

I was thinking the short LAX connection could be ideal if everything goes as planned, and if it doesn't, surely there would be a variety of reroute options. I'll take the advice given and reconsider the alternatives.

flyingeph12 Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 31021871)
Thank you for all of the replies.

Our SFO-LAX is scheduled for 8:01am - 9:40am connecting to LAX-SAN scheduled for 10:08am - 11:03am. Both flights are American Eagle so 25 min MCT at LAX. These flights are in early July, so still fog season, at least where I live on the coast.

Our SAN - NRT flight departs at 1:25pm.

There is an earlier SFO -LAX flight at 6am, with award space, but the 3am wake up isn't very appealing. Flying down to SAN the night before, especially if on an AS non-stop, would be a more palatable option.

I was thinking the short LAX connection could be ideal if everything goes as planned, and if it doesn't, surely there would be a variety of reroute options. I'll take the advice given and reconsider the alternatives.

Switching to AS will cost you money. If the plane is coming in from LAX that morning, I would be much more concerned about a delay due to fog than if the plane came in the night before.