FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-guide-lax-los-angeles-international-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

ntamayo Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am

This is one of those “stars need to align” situations where you count on early arrival, GE, no bags to check, TSA-Pre, and late departure from Eagle terminal to make the connection comfortably.

SeattleDavid Aug 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31470710)
Whoa, people.

Standard MCT at LAX is 1:30, not 2 hours.

AA-AA ID 1.30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1 - 6099

So this connection is right at the MCT but perfectly legal. It's certainly tight and doesn't leave much room for error, but it's far from the end of the world, completely do-able even with checked bags. Whether it's one ticket or separate tickets AA will just rebook you on the next flight if things were to go wrong. I wouldn't stress at all.

I believe this is spurious ... it causes EF to often suggest I-D connections at LAX of 90-120 minutes, but they are never bookable. I've been fooled by this many times, thinking I could get an itinerary from EF and discovering after much effort that I couldn't.

msm2000uk Aug 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any tips for a bar to head to for a 1am-430am layover (430am because the AA lounge opens at 430am).

M

TWA884 Aug 30, 2019 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 31474988)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any tips for a bar to head to for a 1am-430am layover (430am because the AA lounge opens at 430am).

M

By law, bars in California are closed between 2:00 am and 6:00 am. You may want to ask in the Los Angeles forum about 24 hours restaurants.

msm2000uk Aug 31, 2019 4:16 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 31475553)
By law, bars in California are closed between 2:00 am and 6:00 am. You may want to ask in the Los Angeles forum about 24 hours restaurants.

Many thanks!

M

flyingeph12 Aug 31, 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 31474988)

M

The Kettle in Manhattan Beach is open 24 hours. It's mostly a diner, not a bar, although it does serve beer (not sure if they do late at night).

carlosdca Aug 31, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31476778)
The Kettle in Manhattan Beach is open 24 hours. It's mostly a diner, not a bar, although it does serve beer (not sure if they do late at night).

No alcohol can be served in California between 2AM and 6AM, it is the law.
No bars will be open after 2AM.
All you get after 2AM is diners and fast food.
(Unless you want to go to a warehouse party in downtown LA).

coffeeblack Sep 1, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks in advance for any help, I live on the other side of the world, but have (through various podcasts and popular media) come to understand that Los Angeles is traffic hell.

I just need to understand in terms of hotels, if I didn't want to stay RIGHT by the airport, but somewhere where it was still relatively easy to access the city, but on my first night (after a 15 hour flight from Singapore) still be quite easy to drive to from the airport, in maybe less than 30 minutes. Sounds like I'm trying to shop for real estate here, but grateful for any advice. My preference is IHG or Marriott, but non chain hotels are acceptable too.

Sorry to Mod if this is the wrong thread, but it is somewhat related to LAX, so I thought I should ask here.

flyingeph12 Sep 1, 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by coffeeblack (Post 31479025)
Thanks in advance for any help, I live on the other side of the world, but have (through various podcasts and popular media) come to understand that Los Angeles is traffic hell.

I just need to understand in terms of hotels, if I didn't want to stay RIGHT by the airport, but somewhere where it was still relatively easy to access the city, but on my first night (after a 15 hour flight from Singapore) still be quite easy to drive to from the airport, in maybe less than 30 minutes. Sounds like I'm trying to shop for real estate here, but grateful for any advice. My preference is IHG or Marriott, but non chain hotels are acceptable too.

Sorry to Mod if this is the wrong thread, but it is somewhat related to LAX, so I thought I should ask here.

Not sure what you mean by “easy access” to the city, but my choices for something close to LAX but not right at the airport would be the Marriott or Ritz Carlton Marina del Ray or the Four Points Westside—depending on your budget and type of hotel you are looking for.

Exec_Plat Sep 1, 2019 11:37 am

Also depends on what time you get in...if renting a car, why pick it up, drive 30 and park at the hotel for 12 hours? (It might not matter, based on when you return the car, but a consideration.) Stay at the airport, then shuttle over to the car rental in the AM and head out.

HTH

carlosdca Sep 1, 2019 2:48 pm

I just need to understand in terms of hotels, if I didn't want to stay RIGHT by the airport, but somewhere where it was still relatively easy to access the city, but on my first night (after a 15 hour flight from Singapore) still be quite easy to drive to from the airport, in maybe less than 30 minutes

There is no such a thing as "easy access to the city", unfortunately.
LA is huge and disconnected. Most people tend to stay in their respective bubbles.

If you don't want an airport hotel vibe and still be close enough to the airport (less than 20 minutes to the start of the airport loop) I would probably recommend a boutique hotel or airbnb in Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach close to the ocean.
Manhattan and Hermosa are really cool places and offer the almost stereotypical southern california beach lifestyle. You can uber to MB or Hermosa and then just walk around (no car needed)

Marina del Rey is blah, Miami-esque, just like a staying at an airport hotel and you will need a car or constant Uber or similar to get around.

Westside/Beverly Hills/Sunset/WestHollywood/Melrose have the coolest restaurants, bars and stereotypical LA scenes but it will be too far from the airport.

Traffic on weekday nights is not that bad. Traffic during the day and anytime on the weekends can be the worst.

TBH, it is easier if you just stay by the airport and then take an Uber to any specific spot in LA you want to check out.

flyingeph12 Sep 1, 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 31480258)
There is no such a thing as "easy access to the city", unfortunately.
LA is huge and disconnected. Most people tend to stay in their respective bubbles.

If you don't want an airport hotel vibe and still be close enough to the airport (less than 20 minutes to the start of the airport loop) I would probably recommend a boutique hotel or airbnb in Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach close to the ocean.
Manhattan and Hermosa are really cool places and offer the almost stereotypical southern california beach lifestyle. You can uber to MB or Hermosa and then just walk around (no car needed)

Marina del Rey is blah, Miami-esque, just like a staying at an airport hotel and you will need a car or constant Uber or similar to get around.

Westside/Beverly Hills/Sunset/WestHollywood/Melrose have the coolest restaurants, bars and stereotypical LA scenes but it will be too far from the airport.

Traffic on weekday nights is not that bad. Traffic during the day and anytime on the weekends can be the worst.

TBH, it is easier if you just stay by the airport and then take an Uber to any specific spot in LA you want to check out.

Although MdR is not the most interesting place to stay in LA, it’s certainly walkable to Venice Beach (from the Marriott more so than the Ritz). Admittedly, Venice’s vibe may not be for everyone...

The Four Points Westside is literally less than three miles from the airport (closer than the MdR hotels). It’s certainly accessible to LAX without, in my opinion, feeling like an airport hotel—i.e., its location is better than the hotels on/around Century Blvd.

I find traffic at LAX can be bad at any time, especially with the construction going on. It can be especially bad at night (starting around 9pm) when a lot of the international flights are departing. The AA terminal is usually pretty empty around 9 or 10pm, but I have seen a lot of people running to catch flights around that time because it took them 45 minutes to get from Sepulveda to T4 because of traffic.

coffeeblack Sep 1, 2019 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31480565)

Although MdR is not the most interesting place to stay in LA, it’s certainly walkable to Venice Beach (from the Marriott more so than the Ritz). Admittedly, Venice’s vibe may not be for everyone...

The Four Points Westside is literally less than three miles from the airport (closer than the MdR hotels). It’s certainly accessible to LAX without, in my opinion, feeling like an airport hotel—i.e., its location is better than the hotels on/around Century Blvd.

I find traffic at LAX can be bad at any time, especially with the construction going on. It can be especially bad at night (starting around 9pm) when a lot of the international flights are departing. The AA terminal is usually pretty empty around 9 or 10pm, but I have seen a lot of people running to catch flights around that time because it took them 45 minutes to get from Sepulveda to T4 because of traffic.

Thanks for this advice, exactly what I was looking for. When you say that Venice beach's vibe is not for everyone, do you mean it is not family friendly, or?

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31479739)
Also depends on what time you get in...if renting a car, why pick it up, drive 30 and park at the hotel for 12 hours? (It might not matter, based on when you return the car, but a consideration.) Stay at the airport, then shuttle over to the car rental in the AM and head out.

HTH

Yeah! I thought about that like a few minutes after I posted my question.

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31479063)

Not sure what you mean by “easy access” to the city, but my choices for something close to LAX but not right at the airport would be the Marriott or Ritz Carlton Marina del Ray or the Four Points Westside—depending on your budget and type of hotel you are looking for.

Right now I'm booked at the Renaissance. I am thinking though, since i'm only staying in the LA specific area for two days (doing Disneyland after), maybe I should just suck it up and stay at the airport without lugging the family around, and take the airport shuttle first day, and grab the rental the next day.

carlosdca Sep 1, 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31480565)
I find traffic at LAX can be bad at any time,

This is very true. The 405 and other freeways can be relatively empty / fluid but then the airport loop ornthe approach to the airport is a nightmare anytime. Much more so now that the people mover construction has started.

Venice beach itself is a tourist trap. Before legalization of pot, you could go to one of the dozens of "marijuana doctors" there for your fix, there is homeless right and lef (welcome to LA) , stench of fried food, it is crowded for no reason, etc. A worse version of fisherman's wharf with a beach. We the locals tend not to go to VB ever. Not even the MDR folks. Lol.

Abbot Kinney leading to Venice is cool with many places to eat, art galleries, boutiques, etc.

coffeeblack Sep 1, 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 31480910)

Venice beach itself is a tourist trap. Before legalization of pot, you could go to one of the dozens of "marijuana doctors" there for your fix, there is homeless right and lef (welcome to LA) , stench of fried food, it is crowded for no reason, etc. A worse version of fisherman's wharf with a beach. We the locals tend not to go to VB ever. Not even the MDR folks. Lol.

Abbot Kinney leading to Venice is cool with many places to eat, art galleries, boutiques, etc.

EEK. Ok noted. maybe not for me.