Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Who flew last US flight? (US 1939 Lv SFO 10 pm 16 Oct 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Who is flying / flew US 1939, the final US Airways flight?

For a reminiscence opportunity, see LUS: Dinner with US FA "GalleyWench" Tue 27 Oct 6 PM Lowell, NC

16 Oct 2015: US 1939 Lv PHL 10:05 am, - Ar CLT 12:04 pm; Lv CLT 2:35 pm - Ar PHX 4:01 pm;
Lv PHX 5:10 pm - Ar SFO 7:12 pm; Lv SFO 9:55 pm - Arv PHL 6:18 am+ (17 Oct)

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
The last US Airways flight was numbered US1939 to commemorate the operational start year of All American Aviation, the company that preceded Allegheny and US Airways.

To celebrate the end of the US Airways name, US1939 was given as the flight number to PHL-CLT (10:05 AM), CLT-PHX (2:35 PM), PHX-SFO (5:10 PM) and SFO-PHL (9:55 PM). Events were be held at all four stops, which include major hubs. Details as reported by the OMAAT blog (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irways-flight/).

I for one will be on the PHX-SFO leg. I'll try to say hello to those of you strong enough to do the redeye!
Originally Posted by swag
The farewell flight for US Airways will be a red-eye — Flight 434 1939 is scheduled to leave San Francisco around 10 p.m. and land in Philadelphia after 6 a.m. on Oct 17.

http://news.yahoo.com/last-flight-us...--finance.html
philly.com 25 Aug article with historical info: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...lgia_trip.html

Special events are to be held at all four hubs, PHL, CLT, PHX, SFO. Past CEO Ed Colodny will fly SFO-PHL.

Please list FT handle and details you wish to share, e.g. which sector you're flying, cabin and seat, ability to guest at SFO Admirals Club, etc.)

• Captain Flush
  • charbroiled
  • CNMAZ (PHX-SFO leg)
  • cool_xp2002
  • dciandy
  • freqflyercoll (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO AC)
  • LukasVIE (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs)
  • Milz02315 (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs 6-10 am)
  • SFOPhD (PHX-SFO)
  • VolansFortunae
  • a330300 (SFO-PHL in Y, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs upon arrival)
  • mtvesuvius (PHX-SFO, might be able to guest at SFO)

Etc.

Note the thread Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Print Wikipost

LUS: Who flew last US flight? (US 1939 Lv SFO 10 pm 16 Oct 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'll probably be in LAS then, but I can always take the 10:25PM flight LAS-PHL. Anybody wanna meet for breakfast? Or guest me into the US club in PHL if you're just doing a turnaround?
I'm up for either and can guest you in regardless. I'm continuing onto a later flight that departs at 10. Which leaves me available in PHL from 6ish -10AM.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:50 am

I don't see that flight on the 16th. They may not want any US departures after midnight DFW time.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:07 am

Check again with a *possible* onward flight to DCA or PIT. I was able to get it to show on google.com/flights multicity

SFO-PHL on October 16
PHL-DCA/PIT October 17
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Just did a search on usairways.com Looks like f class is gone.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by rove312
I mentioned on another thread: If a flight is US until it's completed, wouldn't a more likely candidate be the PHL-TLV flight?
It may well not be a US flight by that time. The drain-down means they will be transitioning flights to AA over a period of time.
There are current US flights that depart after US 434, eg US 675 from HNL - PHX. Again, they will probably be flying under the AA code by then leaving US 434 the last US-operated flight in the system.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SimonB77
Just did a search on usairways.com Looks like f class is gone.
Indeed, It was gone as of Sunday. EF is showing 1A and the seat next to it 1C as blocked. So i'm not sure if these seats were actually sold or if they are being held back for some reason. My guess is that they are sold (Still shows F0), but I'm hoping otherwise.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I know this may seem weird, but despite the predominant cheapness that US is, I'll kind of miss it. I've seen some really cool flight attendants and dedicated employees in the system, and US was (almost) always good to me when needed. Even got an op-up to F (a SFO-PHL redeye) due to overbooking unexpectedly as a non-elite. One time, a FA kindly slipped me a free BoB meal without me asking.

I also always liked the US branding and website... simple and clean-looking.

US Airways, while not the most premium carrier out there, held its own, and I'll miss the airline. Onwards to better beginnings, and a more premium feel with AA, however.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG
my AA lounge access is based on the prestige card. I'm not sure what the guest policy on that is?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by freqflyercoll
my AA lounge access is based on the prestige card. I'm not sure what the guest policy on that is?
Per the AA Website

"As long as you’re accompanying your guests, you’re allowed 2 guests or immediate family if you’re an:

Admirals Club Member
AAirpass Member with Admirals Club access privileges
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive primary card member
30 Day Membership
Citi Prestige Card holder**"
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I know this may seem weird, but despite the predominant cheapness that US is, I'll kind of miss it. I've seen some really cool flight attendants and dedicated employees in the system, and US was (almost) always good to me when needed. Even got an op-up to F (a SFO-PHL redeye) due to overbooking unexpectedly as a non-elite. One time, a FA kindly slipped me a free BoB meal without me asking.

I also always liked the US branding and website... simple and clean-looking.
I agree. US was a workhorse airline, especially for us here in DC. Nothing fancy about it, but everything was functional. FAs are generally much better than AA. Upgrades were easier for mid-tier elites. Flights were generally on time.

AA puts a lot into their image of trying to be "premium" but in actuality there really isn't that much that is premium about it. Yeah, people flying between California and JFK get a product that almost resembles international J, but other than that it's just a bunch of 738s, mean FAs, nightmare hubs, and IRROPs.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:31 am

Was able to snag 1C this morning due to F2A2 showing! Looking forward to this!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I agree. US was a workhorse airline, especially for us here in DC. Nothing fancy about it, but everything was functional. FAs are generally much better than AA. Upgrades were easier for mid-tier elites. Flights were generally on time.

AA puts a lot into their image of trying to be "premium" but in actuality there really isn't that much that is premium about it. Yeah, people flying between California and JFK get a product that almost resembles international J, but other than that it's just a bunch of 738s, mean FAs, nightmare hubs, and IRROPs.
My AA experiences so far have been limited- just one AA-operated flight (in FC), but sounds like I have a lot to look forward to.

I found the US Airways Clubs MUCH nicer than AA's clubs, and I will certainly miss unlimited, coupon/certificate-free upgrades.

At least the wonderful staff at the LGA and Charlotte US Airways Clubs will remain.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
My AA experiences so far have been limited- just one AA-operated flight (in FC), but sounds like I have a lot to look forward to.

I found the US Airways Clubs MUCH nicer than AA's clubs, and I will certainly miss unlimited, coupon/certificate-free upgrades.

At least the wonderful staff at the LGA and Charlotte US Airways Clubs will remain.
Yeah, I mean my previous post was going for humor, so a little hyperbole. But the way a lot of the legacy AA people talk, you would think that AA gave out bars of gold upon boarding and US makes you sit on a plank bench. The value that people attribute to 50-cent items like a napkin with a silly hole is hilarious. I'd rather have the US onboard product for free than the marginally-better AA product for $30 per 500 miles. And there were things that US always did better - the AA people were absolutely rejoicing when US Club soup made it over to the ACs. I like flying AA, but the whole "premium" talk that people always make about it is just a little silly in my opinion.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, I mean my previous post was going for humor, so a little hyperbole. But the way a lot of the legacy AA people talk, you would think that AA gave out bars of gold upon boarding and US makes you sit on a plank bench. The value that people attribute to 50-cent items like a napkin with a silly hole is hilarious. I'd rather have the US onboard product for free than the marginally-better AA product for $30 per 500 miles. And there were things that US always did better - the AA people were absolutely rejoicing when US Club soup made it over to the ACs. I like flying AA, but the whole "premium" talk that people always make about it is just a little silly in my opinion.
My AA FC experience was nice, but otherwise I always thought that US was a nicer airline; the US Clubs are SO much nicer. I was shocked at how bad the AA Club at EWR was, for example.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Air: UA (Plat), US, AA, DL, VX. Hotels: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
It looks like the ambiguity of the original Yahoo article has been solved, via the USAirways site. The last flight will depart on October 16 and land on October 17 - if you attempt to book any flight departing on October 17 you are redirected to aa.com.

I was lucky enough to cash in an obscene amount of miles to take US434 on 10/16. Originally from the Philadelphia area, USAirways has a special place in my heart even though I've flown more on UA/CO than US - my very first flight by myself when I was a kid was on Allegheny Airlines. Also, I always joke that I may be the only person who flew America West more than 8 times who never ran into any issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.