Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Who flew last US flight? (US 1939 Lv SFO 10 pm 16 Oct 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Who is flying / flew US 1939, the final US Airways flight?

For a reminiscence opportunity, see LUS: Dinner with US FA "GalleyWench" Tue 27 Oct 6 PM Lowell, NC

16 Oct 2015: US 1939 Lv PHL 10:05 am, - Ar CLT 12:04 pm; Lv CLT 2:35 pm - Ar PHX 4:01 pm;
Lv PHX 5:10 pm - Ar SFO 7:12 pm; Lv SFO 9:55 pm - Arv PHL 6:18 am+ (17 Oct)

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
The last US Airways flight was numbered US1939 to commemorate the operational start year of All American Aviation, the company that preceded Allegheny and US Airways.

To celebrate the end of the US Airways name, US1939 was given as the flight number to PHL-CLT (10:05 AM), CLT-PHX (2:35 PM), PHX-SFO (5:10 PM) and SFO-PHL (9:55 PM). Events were be held at all four stops, which include major hubs. Details as reported by the OMAAT blog (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irways-flight/).

I for one will be on the PHX-SFO leg. I'll try to say hello to those of you strong enough to do the redeye!
Originally Posted by swag
The farewell flight for US Airways will be a red-eye — Flight 434 1939 is scheduled to leave San Francisco around 10 p.m. and land in Philadelphia after 6 a.m. on Oct 17.

http://news.yahoo.com/last-flight-us...--finance.html
philly.com 25 Aug article with historical info: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...lgia_trip.html

Special events are to be held at all four hubs, PHL, CLT, PHX, SFO. Past CEO Ed Colodny will fly SFO-PHL.

Please list FT handle and details you wish to share, e.g. which sector you're flying, cabin and seat, ability to guest at SFO Admirals Club, etc.)

• Captain Flush
  • charbroiled
  • CNMAZ (PHX-SFO leg)
  • cool_xp2002
  • dciandy
  • freqflyercoll (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO AC)
  • LukasVIE (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs)
  • Milz02315 (SFO-PHL, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs 6-10 am)
  • SFOPhD (PHX-SFO)
  • VolansFortunae
  • a330300 (SFO-PHL in Y, can guest to SFO and PHL ACs upon arrival)
  • mtvesuvius (PHX-SFO, might be able to guest at SFO)

Etc.

Note the thread Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Print Wikipost

LUS: Who flew last US flight? (US 1939 Lv SFO 10 pm 16 Oct 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Debating doing CLT-PHX...30k miles (CLT-PHX)plus $215 for the PHX-DFW-CLT leg. Worth it?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
IIRC...people had success for the 737-400 retirement flight #737 to call in and manually request all separate after the fact. I was on an award ticket for it though, so can't be certain, so maybe others can chime in.
Hmm... good to know. That's essentially part of what I was trying to find out - if this would be treated any differently as a special event - but the rep I was talking to was so jumbled in her response that I can't help but discredit all of it.

One things for sure, I don't think I'd have luck getting 5 segments to credit when only flying 4. That was the moment I knew what kind of phone call I was on.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette isn't happy with the choice of routing for the last flight:

US Airways passes over Pittsburgh in final ceremonial flight
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CMK10
Looks like the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette isn't happy with the choice of routing for the last flight:

US Airways passes over Pittsburgh in final ceremonial flight
I see the intercity rivalry proceeds apace...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:49 pm

Any ideas on the best way to book this routing with miles?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:44 pm

Here is an excellent article on this flight with some US Airways history - well worth a read:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...lgia_trip.html
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by perseus11
Here is an excellent article on this flight with some US Airways history - well worth a read:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...lgia_trip.html
Very interesting, indeed! Thanks for sharing.

It looks like they're cranking up the "hoopla" value, with past CEO Ed Colodny aboard the SFO-PHL sector and:

"We're really focused on the new American and building that, but we also want to give a nod to everything that went into building the new American," airline spokeswoman Martha Thomas said. "We're going to make it a special experience for everyone involved, from the customers on the flight to the employees at each of the stations."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...BOi5BxBRj8I.99
Someone be sure to photograph the water cannon / arches; they're sure to have them somewhere (PHL on arrival?)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CMK10
Given that they chose flight #1939 to represent the year predecessor All American Aviation started service in Western PA, and attempting to "give a nod to everything that went into building the new American" - bypassing it on a final flight just seems wrong. But US already %*&%#*'d PIT long ago, so nothing new.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Is anyone flying the entire route? I already had an award booking for the final SFO-PHL leg, and booked two independent itineraries (PHL-CLT-PHX F for ~400) and (PHX-SFO for ~160)? I needed a flight(s) to complete my Platinum challenge, so this works for me...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
How sad is it that I'm actually considering this for the sole reason that it is the last US Airways flight ever. Would have to fly BOSSFO earlier in the day and then take a red-eye in a middle seat on the way back.

Mike
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
How sad is it that I'm actually considering this for the sole reason that it is the last US Airways flight ever. Would have to fly BOSSFO earlier in the day and then take a red-eye in a middle seat on the way back.

Mike
That's not sad at all, in fact I think it's a really good reason to take the trip!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Farewell to US Airways on 10/16 - Planned trips?

Hey guys. I must admit that I will miss the US Airways livery. Thus, I have booked CLT-PHX in F for the last flight on 10/16. Over the last decade, I have taken over 50 CLT-PHX, CLT-LAX, and CLT-SFO trips on US A321s so it's time to say goodbye though the future looks promising since all the new 2-class AA A321s are being delivered with personal IFE units.

To start the list of planned trips on 10/16:

CLT - PHX
US Airways #463
7:55 p.m. - 9:21 p.m.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
If I was on this last flight I'd be tempted to stock up on some US Airways mugs and glasses. I love the way they stylized the US flag. Maybe rip the logo out of the bulkhead if it's still there.

Lots of things I'm gonna miss about US. Their FFP is already gone But so far AA has adopted their phone hold music
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
I'll be on the PHX-SFO leg (sadly in coach, but still exciting)!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
US 1939

Just pulled the trigger on an AAnytime Award for the SFO-PHL leg, in Y unfortunately -- is there a mini-DO planned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.