Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (as of 17 December 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA to Fly LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney as of 17 December 2015
AA0073 and AA0072 are operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER

Current thread here

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:

2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA announces LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (as of 17 December 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Where the heck do you see meal options online?? I got excited that they brought it back, but checking a flight that I have inside 30 days doesn't show that option anywhere .
You have to start into making a dummy booking as the only time you can see the menu is during the booking process, just before getting to the hold/purchase screen.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
You have to do a fake booking on the same day so pretend ur booking a flight and you'll get to the food page before the payment page. That or ask the twitter team
Originally Posted by cmd320
You have to start into making a dummy booking as the only time you can see the menu is during the booking process, just before getting to the hold/purchase screen.
Thanks for the quick responses and the solution!

But, wow, how crazy is that!!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I'm not sure if there's a separate upgrade flight for this thread or not - but I'm curious as to how it goes on this flight compared to the impossible DFW-HKG. Wife and I may head down under next spring and as of right now at least, lots of dates with very open seat maps - both MCE and J. We missed out on the QF bonanza last month, so may play the lottery here if it looks doable. Even the inaugural on 12/17 looks pretty open.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'm not sure if there's a separate upgrade flight for this thread or not - but I'm curious as to how it goes on this flight compared to the impossible DFW-HKG. Wife and I may head down under next spring and as of right now at least, lots of dates with very open seat maps - both MCE and J. We missed out on the QF bonanza last month, so may play the lottery here if it looks doable. Even the inaugural on 12/17 looks pretty open.
You're kidding right? the Inaugural LAX-SYD is essentially sold out and oversold in F last i checked. Don't be fooled by seat maps, a lot of people don't pick their seats yet. Last i checked there were 6 open seats in J, but you have a very large number of EXPs on this flight.

Nobody is going to know the upgrade success rate for a flight that hasn't started yet. Best wait a couple months. If its any consolation when i flew UA, my upgrade sucess rate on SYD/LAX flights were 50% but most of those cleared at the gate. But that was more due to Who's gonna pay for UA BF over DL One or QF J or VA J.

Last edited by Col Ronson; Dec 9, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You're kidding right? the Inaugural LAX-SYD is essentially sold out and oversold in F last i checked. Don't be fooled by seat maps, a lot of people don't pick their seats yet. Last i checked there were 6 open seats in J.
There are many J seats for sale (more than 6, that's for sure) and huge # of economy seats for sale-- only in F is the flight full.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There are many J seats for sale (more than 6, that's for sure) and huge # of economy seats for sale-- only in F is the flight full.
Huge # is irrelevant. On Sabre we have the following, 2 over in F, 6 open in J, 3 over in Y.

Airlines oversell their flights all the time...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Huge # is irrelevant. On Sabre we have the following, 2 over in F, 6 open in J, 3 over in Y.

Airlines oversell their flights all the time...
Your numbers are incorrect, you're misreading it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
You're kidding right? the Inaugural LAX-SYD is essentially sold out and oversold in F last i checked. Don't be fooled by seat maps, a lot of people don't pick their seats yet. Last i checked there were 6 open seats in J, but you have a very large number of EXPs on this flight. Nobody is going to know the upgrade success rate for a flight that hasn't started yet. Best wait a couple months.
My bad for not specifying J. I guess that wasn't clear from my post. My god, with friends like you, who needs enemies. And EF shows 7s across in J at least, FWIW.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:56 pm

Your numbers are incorrect, you're misreading it.
It's changed from last time i screenshotted.

We have 14 open in J and 26 open in Y now. So yes, there is actually some SWU upgrade chances seeing how the flight is in less than 2 weeks.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It's changed from last time i screenshotted.

We have 14 open in J and 26 open in Y now.
Yeah, I know that-- that's what I was trying to tell ya

Ironically, the -next- day's AA73 (and the day after that) is -much- more heavily booked in J and Y
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:02 pm

Yeah, I know that-- that's what I was trying to tell ya

Ironically, the -next- day's AA73 (and the day after that) is -much- more heavily booked in J and Y
I was assuming that since i last checked more people would have tried to squeeze on rather than ditching in doves. That or AA proactively reassigned some people to QF, or people with AAnytime awards changed their minds who knows.

Or maybe people are just nervous an inaugural flight is going to go horribly wrong. My guess is Thursday is not a very business-friendly travel date as you arrive on a saturday. Friday/Saturday seems more likely for the guy who wants to arrive sunday or monday and head straight to work.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I was assuming that since i last checked more people would have tried to squeeze on rather than ditching in doves. That or AA proactively reassigned some people to QF, or people with AAnytime awards changed their minds who knows.

Or maybe people are just nervous an inaugural flight is going to go horribly wrong. My guess is Thursday is not a very business-friendly travel date as you arrive on a saturday. Friday/Saturday seems more likely for the guy who wants to arrive sunday or monday and head straight to work.
All good points.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Remarkably empty cabins the week of Christmas going out and returning week of 11th - I7s all through and EMPTY Business and MCE cabins !!

Perfect time to upgrade
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Where the heck do you see meal options online?? I got excited that they brought it back, but checking a flight that I have inside 30 days doesn't show that option anywhere .
See the workaround a member provided in the wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...te-master.html
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
Remarkably empty cabins the week of Christmas going out and returning week of 11th - I7s all through and EMPTY Business and MCE cabins !!

Perfect time to upgrade
My J to F upgrade for my return has already processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.