FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA announces LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (as of 17 December 2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1686423-archive-aa-announces-lax-syd-lax-77w-aa73-aa72-17-december-2015-a.html)

JonNYC Jun 9, 2015 6:41 am

ARCHIVE: AA announces LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (as of 17 December 2015)

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...3&postcount=16

AlwaysSunnyInORD Jun 9, 2015 6:52 am

LAX to Australia is a great addition! Did AA fly this route in the past?

FWAAA Jun 9, 2015 7:43 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD (Post 24941700)
LAX to Australia is a great addition! Did AA fly this route in the past?

Yes, via HNL before planes were capable of nonstop LAX-SYD.

PMMMDL Jun 9, 2015 8:49 am

I assume this will be a 77W...the question is will this be an additional frequency to the QF flights, or will QF reallocate some capacity?

Jacobin777 Jun 9, 2015 9:01 am

Originally Posted by PMMMDL (Post 24942352)
I assume this will be a 77W...the question is will this be an additional frequency to the QF flights, or will QF reallocate some capacity?

I do agree, it will be interesting to see what comes of it. I don't see additional capacity but rather QF cutting some capacity.

I assume its going to be some kind of JV-ATI with QF.

Longboater Jun 9, 2015 9:05 am

Originally Posted by PMMMDL (Post 24942352)

Due to their financial troubles, its probably a reallocation of QF flying. They are parking 744s without replacement. There is plenty of flying between LAX and SYD, but recently there has been a glut of capacity on this route, see UA downgrading LAX/SFO-SYD to 772s (Keep in mind UA once had double daily 744s on this flight and the 772s face greater weight restrictions due to their PW engines). I think this is the end of JFK-LAX-SYD on QF metal. The 77W would make all sense in the world as it won't require weight restrictions like the Dreamliner. AA has three 77Ws to be delivered and with current state of affairs in Brazil right now, they might also pull some of the 77Ws off of GRU considering they have five daily 77W flights.

JDiver Jun 9, 2015 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 (Post 24942416)
I do agree, it will be interesting to see what comes of it. I don't see additional capacity but rather QF cutting some capacity.

For QF, it's another "dump the bump" opportunity, and I'm guessing there may be some arrangements to share revenue given the JBA. But I'm guessing here.

JonNYC Jun 9, 2015 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 (Post 24942416)

Most definitely-- full integration.. There will be a QF component to the announce as well.

Jacobin777 Jun 9, 2015 9:25 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24942454)
For QF, it's another "dump the bump" opportunity, and I'm guessing there may be some arrangements to share revenue given the JBA. But I'm guessing here.

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24942506)
Most definitely-- full integration.. There will be a QF component to the announce as well.

Thanks! ^

WRCSolberg Jun 9, 2015 9:29 am

If it's a reallocation of QF flying, and I assume it's going to be one flight that replaces the later evening QF 744 flight, I think I'd rather fly QF in the back of the bus than in AA's 3-4-3 777s.

formeraa Jun 9, 2015 9:32 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 24941967)
Yes, via HNL before planes were capable of nonstop LAX-SYD.

Yes, it was a through-flight/connection situation. LAX/DFW-HNL-SYD/AKL. As an employee, I often took the DFW-HNL portion of the flight. At the time, it was an additional frequency between DFW and HNL (not 1 of the 2 daily nonstops). It featured a modified International Flagship Service (better meals, free drinks, and so forth).

Because of the time different, the DFW-HNL-SYD/AKL flight left DFW in the evening and return left HNL at midnight.

Sant Jun 9, 2015 10:06 am

I've flown the LAX-DFW route several times in QF Y. I've never flown AA Y on a TPAC route, so I hope their soft product isn't that worse compared to QF's.

Austin787 Jun 9, 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Sant (Post 24942813)
I've flown the LAX-DFW route several times in QF Y. I've never flown AA Y on a TPAC route, so I hope their soft product isn't that worse compared to QF's.

Do you mean LAX-SYD or DFW-SYD? QF doesn't fly LAX-DFW.

In my experience, AA's long haul Y is like other airlines Y: nothing glamorous, just transportation point A to point B. Service is hit or miss.

shadesofgrey1x Jun 9, 2015 10:49 am

Big announcement by American Airlines probably includes Australia

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ustralia.html/

What else could it possibly be

wrp96 Jun 9, 2015 10:51 am

They have hinted at it on Facebook.