Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide: SCL / Santiago Chile Admirals Club & LATAM VIP Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SCL - Aeropuerto Internacional Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez de Santiago de Chile

NOTE: The SCL / Santiago de Chile Admirals Club will close as of 1 May 2019.

Link to SCL airport information on aa.com

Link to SCL website (English)

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

International Building Admirals Club

Location: International Building, after security on the left, across from gate 19

Access: Business Class, First Class, Sapphire Tier or Emerald Tier departing on any oneworld airline

Hours: Please see here for current hours

N.B. Not valid for arriving passengers. Transit passengers must have valid same-day ticket for departure permitting access through security.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • PCs with Internet access
  • Showers
  • Childrens room
LATAM VIP Lounge yclept Neruda Lounge

Location: International Building, after security, 4th floor, near Gates 14/15 (opened 28 March 2015).

Access: Business Class, First Class, Sapphire Tier or Emerald Tier departing on any oneworld airline; departing Admirals Club members.

Hours: Daily: 03:00-01:00 but please see here for current hours.

Notes: LATAM Airlines Group's latest joint VIP lounge, the newest and largest lounge in South America, opened on 25th March 2015. The lounge has direct access from the LAN and TAM preferential check-in area. Features include restful and relaxing spaces, individual restrooms, showers, laundry pressing and shoe-shining services, a sleeping room, chaise lounge chairs for rest and relaxation, a business center, individual power outlets, unlimited wi-fi, entertainment and videogame zone, unique culinary offerings and an excellent selection of regional wines and award-winning champagne.
Link to archived thread with previous posts (2006-May 2010)

The current thread may be accessed here.

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Guide: SCL / Santiago Chile Admirals Club & LATAM VIP Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thanks as well. Will be there in SCL come November.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:02 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Is the Holiday Inn still the best option for an arrival shower in SCL? The HI still offers day rates, but $130 for the day seems pretty high if all I want is to get cleaned up for a meeting ....
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Delete
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Sorry, to clarify: I was asking about the dedicated check-in channel that funnels pax directly into the lounge, not about actually accessing the lounge once airside.
The dedicated check-in is only for LATAM flights, but anybody can use the security check to the side, which dumps you out at the Salon VIP entrance. I check-in at AA or QF and just take the escalator by the currency exchange up (to the land-side Gatsby), just keep walking forward from there.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by zpaul
The dedicated check-in is only for LATAM flights, but anybody can use the security check to the side, which dumps you out at the Salon VIP entrance. I check-in at AA or QF and just take the escalator by the currency exchange up (to the land-side Gatsby), just keep walking forward from there.
The last time I was there (a January afternoon), there was only 1 migraciones officer and the line was going back to the check-in area. It was a good half-hour wait. (Or, I might mean bad half hour wait.)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT
This is exactly what I was trying to ask. Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:49 pm

Following up again:

Per https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform.../scl-club.jsp:

International arriving passengers must have a valid, same-day ticket for departure permitting access through Security.
It sounds like they'd allow access on arrival, regardless of what airline you're connecting to, if you can get to the lounge? LA's connecting flight times are not ideal DFW-SCL-MDZ, so I'm trying to figure out if I can fly another airline SCL-MDZ but get arrivals access with a DFW-SCL boarding pass in J. Obviously I'd prefer the LA lounge, but don't want to push my luck too much.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Following up again:

Per https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform.../scl-club.jsp:

It sounds like they'd allow access on arrival, regardless of what airline you're connecting to, if you can get to the lounge? LA's connecting flight times are not ideal DFW-SCL-MDZ, so I'm trying to figure out if I can fly another airline SCL-MDZ but get arrivals access with a DFW-SCL boarding pass in J. Obviously I'd prefer the LA lounge, but don't want to push my luck too much.
If I'm reading all of this correctly, you are flying from Dallas to Mendoza via Santiago, so all legs are international but might be on separate reservations. If you're trying to avoid LATAM SCL-MDZ, your options are Sky (which I really don't recommend, but it's only a 45 minute flight) and Aerolineas Argentinas which don't have a direct SCL-MDZ flight, so LATAM is usually the best simply due to having multiple flights per day. If you purchase the whole trip as one, upon arrival in SCL you'll just go through International Connections and into the secure airside area and viola, the lounges are there and you have access. Done.

If you book a separate ticket, upon arrival in SCL you'll need to clear passport control, collect luggage (if any), and exit to landside. If you fly with LATAM you can usually check-in for your upcoming flight up to five hours in advance of departure, and use the upper-level Preferred Check-In area. If you're on Sky, you'll be limited to checking-in just two or three hours before your flight, so if it's a long time between flights you'll be stuck in the not-very-comfortable terminal until they allow you to check in.

Now, on to lounge access. If you book LATAM, you automatically have access to the LATAM Salon VIP because you're Sapphire (Platimun) and it's an international fight. Sky does not have a lounge, and all of LATAM access policies state that you must be on an onward oneworld flight for lounge access. You may get lucky, but I certainly wouldn't plan on it as Chileans are very by-the-book, even when it makes no sense.

The SCL AC is open all day, so if you chose not to book LATAM this would be your only option. There's nothing in the AC access rules that says anything specifically about access based only on your upcoming fight, and since the AC is usually dead during the day (except for when the IB and QF flights are going out) they certainly can't deny you based on capacity constraints. I certainly can't guarantee that you'll have access but it's a good bet IMHO.

Overall, to have the most options and least hassle, I'd book the whole thing on one ticket on AA and LATAM. You might even be able to book the LATAM flight on the AA codeshare flight number and earn extras EQMs if that's important to you...!

Last edited by zpaul; Aug 7, 2018 at 4:57 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:17 pm

That's correct, I'm trying to book Sky. Flight times are just better, and I'd prefer not to waste another hour and a half on top of a 4+ hour layover if I can avoid it. I don't mind being a sardine for 45 minutes.

Now, on to lounge access. If you book LATAM, you automatically have access to the LATAM Salon VIP because you're Sapphire (Platimun) and it's an international fight. Sky does not have a lounge, and all of LATAM access policies state that you must be on an onward oneworld flight for lounge access. You may get lucky, but I certainly wouldn't plan on it as Chileans are very by-the-book, even when it makes no sense.
Thanks, the by-the-book part is what I was looking for. I know the rules, but a little schmoozing has worked to get around those rules in some places. Not here.

The SCL AC is open all day, so if you chose not to book LATAM this would be your only option. There's nothing in the AC access rules that says anything specifically about access based only on your upcoming fight, and since the AC is usually dead during the day (except for when the IB and QF flights are going out) they certainly can't deny you based on capacity constraints. I certainly can't guarantee that you'll have access but it's a good bet IMHO.
This was also my assessment. Not nearly as nice as the LATAM lounge, but serviceable for a shower and a quiet place to wait if we can get in.

Overall, to have the most options and least hassle, I'd book the whole thing on one ticket on AA and LATAM. You might even be able to book the LATAM flight on the AA codeshare flight number and earn extras EQMs if that's important to you...!
Even if the flight times to MDZ worked, it's almost twice as expensive to book everything on one ticket as opposed to nesting the MDZ legs.

Thanks so much for the detailed response!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by nelsinho
AC does not have showers. The LATAM Lounge does, it also has beds for resting on the second floor (they are hard to find, in a door next to a large conference table area); I prefer that the LATAM lounge too as they have much better bathrooms (full walk in room with toilet and sink).
I was at SCL last night and wished I had followed my instincts and visited LATAM Lounge. At AA check-in the agent did describe to me how to go to the lounge but I just suspected it was a check in area for those that are flying LATAM when I went up the escalator and into the lounge area for priority people. No one offered to help me and I didn't ask either.

I (wrongly) suspected that all the lounges would be close enough to each other that I could enter airside as instructed by the agent then find LATAM's VIP lounge. I gave up as I realized they were in opposite directions and my departure gate was in the middle.

I I just settled in at the AC do my 2 hr wait. Just wished the setup had amenities (food and drinks) in the center. Grew tired/discouraged to keep walking the full length of the place. I just wasn't up for it even though I'm no stranger to walking either.

The current thread may be accessed here.

Last edited by JDiver; May 1, 2019 at 11:10 am Reason: Add moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.