Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award booking to Berlin - trying to avoid LHR/BA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. I have some miles im trying to burn on a round trip AA biz class to Berlin. All I can find is going through LHR and $1000 in fees from BA. However, I have been able to find one to BCN that avoids LHR/BA. I would land at 715am, and then i can buy a $100 rd trip on a completely different, local European airline from BCN -> TXL at 11am, giving around a 4 hour layover.

I guess I'm worried about delays and missing my EU domestic flight. Is this a common thing for people to do to avoid BA fees? I would have two different itineraries.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You are really just looking to avoid BA metal on the long haul sector. You could fly AA to LHR then BA to TXL with lower charges and itinerary protection
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
You are really just looking to avoid BA metal on the long haul sector. You could fly AA to LHR then BA to TXL with lower charges and itinerary protection
Ah, got it. I was able to shave $600 off by doing the long segment on the return via AA. Unfortunately it's still around $700 in fees because on the way out, I can't find any that are AA to LHR. I wonder if that's worth the convenience of only having 1 itinerary...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mikespimpin
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. I have some miles im trying to burn on a round trip AA biz class to Berlin. All I can find is going through LHR and $1000 in fees from BA. However, I have been able to find one to BCN that avoids LHR/BA. I would land at 715am, and then i can buy a $100 rd trip on a completely different, local European airline from BCN -> TXL at 11am, giving around a 4 hour layover.

I guess I'm worried about delays and missing my EU domestic flight. Is this a common thing for people to do to avoid BA fees? I would have two different itineraries.
I'd say it's very common to use creative routings like this to avoid the garbage BA fees if you are a somewhat seasoned traveler. I'd absolutely book the award to BCN and then the separate ticket to TXL, 4 hrs should be plenty to connect. Just keep in mind AA will not check bags through on separate tickets. I book separate ticket itineraries like this all the time.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Does Finnair work?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Ah, got it. I was able to shave $600 off by doing the long segment on the return via AA. Unfortunately it's still around $700 in fees because on the way out, I can't find any that are AA to LHR. I wonder if that's worth the convenience of only having 1 itinerary...
If you can use your miles to get home from TXL at a reasonable cost, then consider using your miles to fly into BCN, and out of TXL. You could then buy a cheap one-way from BCN to TXL on Vueling, or from BCN to Berlin's other airport, SXF, which has nonstop service from BCN on both easyJet and Ryan Air.

Watch out for extra charges on the low-cost carriers.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you can use your miles to get home from TXL at a reasonable cost, then consider using your miles to fly into BCN, and out of TXL. You could then buy a cheap one-way from BCN to TXL on Vueling, or from BCN to Berlin's other airport, SXF, which has nonstop service from BCN on both easyJet and Ryan Air.

Watch out for extra charges on the low-cost carriers.
Ah this is definitely something to think about! Thanks for the tip
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reads as if you are trying to book a return from/to the same airports. Better to book as one ways. You do not need to arrive/depart from the same USA/EU cities.

Trains and low cost airlines can get you also any where in Eu. At times the old legacy carriers can be price competitive when you consider the add-ons common with LCC's. With Eu LCC's you must read the rules and comply 100% (for example to the gram/mm).

AA thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Reads as if you are trying to book a return from/to the same airports. Better to book as one ways. You do not need to arrive/depart from the same USA/EU cities.

Trains and low cost airlines can get you also any where in Eu. At times the old legacy carriers can be price competitive when you consider the add-ons common with LCC's. With Eu LCC's you must read the rules and comply 100% (for example to the gram/mm).

AA thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Thanks! Exactly what i was doing. Need to look around different airports!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I just went through this booking process. We chose to fly CLT to FRA R/T since we are going to several cities. My fees (flights on BA) went from over 1K to a bit over a $100 pp (direct on AA). I got a great fare from FRA to BER on Lufthansa, for our 1st city, with 5 hours between our flights.
GWFan likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Before you go with the hassle of a separate paid ticket, particularly on a ULCC where you're going to have baggage fees (and potential change/delay issues), work the angles through Madrid and Helsinki. Hard.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hipquest
..We chose to fly CLT to FRA R/T since we are going to several cities. My fees (flights on BA) went from over 1K to a bit over a $100 pp (direct on AA). I got a great fare from FRA to BER on Lufthansa, for our 1st city, with 5 hours between our flights.
A train would have been a lot better. And less than waiting 5hrs for a very short flight. Link--->Great Circle Mapper
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
A train would have been a lot better. And less than waiting 5hrs for a very short flight. Link--->Great Circle Mapper
You are right, I changed our flight to BUD>FRA for the return. Waiting for train schedules to come out since our trip is in March 2019.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by hipquest
You are right, I changed our flight to BUD>FRA for the return. Waiting for train schedules to come out since our trip is in March 2019.
Some very knowledgeable people on FT forum--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/euro...il-travel-654/
sam2k2002 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If travelling r/t from USA and having to travel on BA, do book it as 2 x one way fares since the carrier surcharge from Europe to USA is a lot lower than the carrier surcharge from USA

Book as a r.t from USA and will get charged USA rate x 2
Book 2 x one ways and will get charged USA rate plus EU rate

Travelling to the USA , then a r/t is definitely preferable to 2 x one ways though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.