Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide: SCL / Santiago Chile Admirals Club & LATAM VIP Lounge

Old May 1, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SCL - Aeropuerto Internacional Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez de Santiago de Chile

NOTE: The SCL / Santiago de Chile Admirals Club will close as of 1 May 2019.

Link to SCL airport information on aa.com

Link to SCL website (English)

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

International Building Admirals Club

Location: International Building, after security on the left, across from gate 19

Access: Business Class, First Class, Sapphire Tier or Emerald Tier departing on any oneworld airline

Hours: Please see here for current hours

N.B. Not valid for arriving passengers. Transit passengers must have valid same-day ticket for departure permitting access through security.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • PCs with Internet access
  • Showers
  • Childrens room
LATAM VIP Lounge yclept Neruda Lounge

Location: International Building, after security, 4th floor, near Gates 14/15 (opened 28 March 2015).

Access: Business Class, First Class, Sapphire Tier or Emerald Tier departing on any oneworld airline; departing Admirals Club members.

Hours: Daily: 03:00-01:00 but please see here for current hours.

Notes: LATAM Airlines Group's latest joint VIP lounge, the newest and largest lounge in South America, opened on 25th March 2015. The lounge has direct access from the LAN and TAM preferential check-in area. Features include restful and relaxing spaces, individual restrooms, showers, laundry pressing and shoe-shining services, a sleeping room, chaise lounge chairs for rest and relaxation, a business center, individual power outlets, unlimited wi-fi, entertainment and videogame zone, unique culinary offerings and an excellent selection of regional wines and award-winning champagne.
Link to archived thread with previous posts (2006-May 2010)

The current thread may be accessed here.

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Guide: SCL / Santiago Chile Admirals Club & LATAM VIP Lounge

Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Arrow ARCHIVE: Guide: SCL / Santiago Chile Admirals Club & LATAM VIP Lounge

Traveling MIA-SCL in a couple of weeks. I see that the AC has showers which I'd love to use, but of course it's on the secured ticketed pax side.

Any tips on how to get back there after Immigration and Customs? In the US I'd pre-arrange a security pass, but I'm thinking no-can-do in Chile... but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by siankaan1; Nov 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm Reason: Title edited for clarity
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Traveling MIA-SCL in a couple of weeks. I see that the AC has showers which I'd love to use, but of course it's on the secured ticketed pax side.

Any tips on how to get back there after Immigration and Customs? In the US I'd pre-arrange a security pass, but I'm thinking no-can-do in Chile... but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Need to go anywhere else in Chile from SCL, preferably on LAN? That would get you airside access and access to the AC.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Need to go anywhere else in Chile from SCL, preferably on LAN? That would get you airside access and access to the AC.
Unfortunately no, three days in Santiago and then off to EZE.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Spiff
Don't think that would do it anyway; international departures (where the AC is) are in a separate secured area from domestic departures in SCL. You have to clear exit immigration formalities to get in.

There's no boarding pass check at all to clear security to get into the domestic gate area, but there's no AC there. (In fact, you just plop your bags on the X ray belt as they are and walk through the metal detectors -- no removing laptops or shoes, no liquid ban -- very civilized.)

ETA: or at least that's how it was before the earthquake -- haven't been there since.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ashill
There's no boarding pass check at all to clear security to get into the domestic gate area, but there's no AC there. (In fact, you just plop your bags on the X ray belt as they are and walk through the metal detectors -- no removing laptops or shoes, no liquid ban -- very civilized.)

ETA: or at least that's how it was before the earthquake -- haven't been there since.
There is someone in the domestic security area who asks to see your boarding pass, though it doesn't seem like a particularly stringent check (they don't bother asking for your ID, for instance). The only lounge in the domestic area is the Salones VIP Pacific Club, but unless you're a Diners Club or Priority Pass member or holder of certain Chilean bank/credit cards, I don't think there's any way in.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
There are two lounges just under the escalator that leads to the lower domestic departure area -- one for smokers and one for non-smokers. They accept Diners Club and lots of other cards of varied sorts.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:41 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by ldpeters
I Also, if you're checking in with LA there's no "preferentes" line for elites. I didn't see AA check-in so I can't confirm if the same was true. The LA line was quite long but moved rapidly; we arrived at SCL around 6:30 PM and were at the gate by 7:30 at the latest.
Depends on where you're going. For domestic travel in Chile you're right - no preferential check-in for elites (although I have seen the agent checking BPs upon entry into the maze send Comodoro/EXP to the left and everyone else to the right). For international travel the Business/preferential check in is actually out of the main check-in area, down a hall to the left. It's quite nice - kind of a separate room and has priority access to the Policia Internacional area. Unfortunately, it's not well-marked, so if you don't know where you're going it's easy to miss.

Google "santiago chile airport" - there's an okay map that shows it there.

And for my two cents' worth, I think the AC is pretty darn nice in SCL! I like the wood and brass look much more than the cookie-cutter beige and blah of Neruda and the Int'l AC in DFW. Nice shower, too.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zpaul
And for my two cents' worth, I think the AC is pretty darn nice in SCL! I like the wood and brass look much more than the cookie-cutter beige and blah of Neruda and the Int'l AC in DFW. Nice shower, too.
I'll give the AC a clear win on decor, and the LAN club a slim win on food and drinks. Mostly because I like cheese for a snack, and the ACs almost never serve it anymore.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1
I'll give the AC a clear win on decor, and the LAN club a slim win on food and drinks. Mostly because I like cheese for a snack, and the ACs almost never serve it anymore.
LAN serves real brut Champagne, while AC has some cheap sweet sparking wine that strikes me as undrinkable.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajnaro
LAN serves real brut Champagne, while AC has some cheap sweet sparking wine that strikes me as undrinkable.
All champagne strikes me as undrinkable, so I wouldn't know.

Last edited by siankaan1; Dec 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
+1. Love the bubbles! It makes the visit to Neruda more bearable.

Looking over some pics I took with friends while in the Neruda lounge the last time, it struck me that the non-working lamps that are between the chairs resemble IV poles.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:16 am

So the moral is: if you like Champagne, go to the LAN lounge; if you like wood and brass, go to AA. Then everyone will be happy and neither lounge will be over crowded. Of course, there is also a lounge that accepts Diners Club (and other cards or payment) for those who want to escape both Champagne and wood/brass. Not to mention Gatsby's, Starbucks, and a few others.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:40 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
The lounges in domestic take lots of credit cards, but Chilean ones. There is nothing that a 1W multi-elite can do to get lounge access. Buy a coffee and get wireless access free. Now you know why LAN makes so much money!

I prefer the LAN international lounge, so that is where I hang out if I have time before the flight. However, I usually arrive with webcheck-in printout and go straight to gate.

All LAN flights have the split boarding for expensive tickets and elites on one side and the rabble on the other. Of course, on a domestic sector in Chile, you may well be sitting next to the rabble shortly! I have been the only elite on some flights and I am not sure that a queue of one is possible, even for a Brit.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by spotwelder
The lounges in domestic take lots of credit cards, but Chilean ones.
I regularly use a US-issued Diners Club card (ex Citbank) at the lounge in the domestic area of SCL. I don't remember the name of the lounge, but as you come down the escalator from the upper floor entrance (security and some gates), turn backwards (opposite direction from Starbucks). This lounge is non-smoking and serves free drinks and snacks.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by spotwelder
There is nothing that a 1W multi-elite can do to get lounge access.
Sure there is - you can pay US$28. But is it worth it? Methinks no.

The problem is that the domestic lounges (I only use plural in that there's the Pacific Club, and the Pacific Club Smoking Lounge though one entry gets you into both) aren't run by the airlines, so neither elite status nor lounge membership are valid. As you mention, they do allow free access with a variety of Chilean credit cards or with Diner's Club or the Priority Pass card if membership is from outside of Chile; otherwise it's US$28 per day (or less depending on the type of credit card you use to pay: http://www.tuugo.cl/Link/lones-vip-pacific-club ).

The International Pacific Club is nice, on the other hand. Got in free based on my friend's credit card. Only used it once, but it was a good experience. I prefer the AA or LAN lounges, as well, but for my flight on TAM it was a decent start to the trip.

Last edited by zpaul; Dec 13, 2010 at 8:09 am Reason: updated info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.