Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive for posts relating to Business Extra (nee Business ExtrAA) since 2008.

The current, active Business Extra thread is Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijk3234
Is there still only a 30-day window for upgrades as mentioned further up the thread?
Yes
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Ugh, I only now read the details on the BXP3 upgrade option. Didn't realize it didn't apply to the low fares. Seems rough to only allow within 30 days and also require a higher fare. Maybe I'll need to find another way to cash in my points since I have a number expiring in December.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikelat
Ugh, I only now read the details on the BXP3 upgrade option. Didn't realize it didn't apply to the low fares. Seems rough to only allow within 30 days and also require a higher fare. Maybe I'll need to find another way to cash in my points since I have a number expiring in December.
I've got some points expiring in December and I need to figure out what to redeem for also.

Is there a list anywhere of what classes the awards use? Then I can at least look at ExpertFlyer and get and idea of what to hold.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
I've got some points expiring in December and I need to figure out what to redeem for also.

Is there a list anywhere of what classes the awards use? Then I can at least look at ExpertFlyer and get and idea of what to hold.
Yes. See the award details.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:54 pm

Has anyone done any math on the value of the various awards?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
I have just used mine for AC Membership.

Cheers!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nall
Has anyone done any math on the value of the various awards?
Day pass = $50

I haven't given much thought to the others.
I can't equate the upgrade value, because the fare range is limited
Award tickets vary in $$ cost if purchase, so that is impossible to value in advance.
For 3000 points you can get an AC membership
For 3 1/3 times that, you can get a first class ticket to Europe, Asia, or SA2
I know which I prefer to use the 10K for
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:05 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by josephstern

See the first post of this thread for the inventory classes into which BE travel awards and upgrade awards book. Note that the awards do expire once redeemed after 12-18 months (assuming you redeem in Dec).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Wink Didn't read the fine print or this thread soon enough

I redeemed expiring BE points for the BXP1 domestic segment upgrade last year and set the certificate aside for a "rainy day".

I went ahead and bought an ORD-LAX ticket for mid-October two months ago and today started thinking about applying the upgrade. I noticed that the upgrade could only be booked 30 days before the flight or later ("Within 30 days prior to departure").

When I called the Meeting Services desk to inquire exactly how to do this, the agent nicely pointed out to me that since my ticket was booked in Q, it was not eligible. (She did offer to book an eligible class ticket for me for the $150 change fee plus the fare difference. I declined that generous offer.)

So, I now have a BXP1 one segment upgrade which is good through 12/31/12 and which I foresee no opportunity to use. I can't have the points replaced in my account, of course. So, the best I can do might be to offer this certificate to someone who might want it because it has value to them.

<redacted offer>

I'm open for ideas <redacted>.

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:00 am Reason: offers for barter, sale, purchase or exchange prohibited here
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Eric, if you are looking to gift it, I'll gladly take it. I take fairly long hauls in higher buckets from DFW often.

If you are suggesting selling or trading, that absolutely is against the T&Cs of BusinessExtraa awards. Think of it as a lesson learned. I use mine for free flights or AC membership.

Originally Posted by echoch:19299223
I redeemed expiring BE points for the BXP1 domestic segment upgrade last year and set the certificate aside for a "rainy day".

I went ahead and bought an ORD-LAX ticket for mid-October two months ago and today started thinking about applying the upgrade. I noticed that the upgrade could only be booked 30 days before the flight or later ("Within 30 days prior to departure").

When I called the Meeting Services desk to inquire exactly how to do this, the agent nicely pointed out to me that since my ticket was booked in Q, it was not eligible. (She did offer to book an eligible class ticket for me for the $150 change fee plus the fare difference. I declined that generous offer.)

So, I now have a BXP1 one segment upgrade which is good through 12/31/12 and which I foresee no opportunity to use. I can't have the points replaced in my account, of course. So, the best I can do might be to offer this certificate to someone who might want it because it has value to them.

<redacted>

I'm open for ideas, <redacted>.

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:00 am Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

A reminder: buying, selling, bartering of various instruments is prohibited by AA's various Terms and Conditions, and offers to do so are prohibited here.

Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:19 am

Anybody have an idea of the FMV of a Business Extraa Point? I just won 30,000 of them in a contest and I'm going to have to pay tax on them and need to know how to value them.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SugarLime
Anybody have an idea of the FMV of a Business Extraa Point? I just won 30,000 of them in a contest and I'm going to have to pay tax on them and need to know how to value them.
More than a traditional mile, but I really don't know.

In any event, nice win! That's 3 F RTs to Europe, if you PlanAAhead.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Well you could always use the ratio of BX points to AAdv miles for comparable awards if you have a defensible calculation of the value of an AAdv mile.

The same D49 T class award is 2,000 BX points or 25,000 AAdv miles. So your 30,000 BX points are worth the same as 375,000 AAdv miles using that methodology.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:42 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Ouch. I ran a full spreadsheet comparing BE points to AAdvantage miles a while back. Using a value of $0.03/AAdv mile (you might argue a lower value), the BE travel awards worked out to an average of $0.121/pt. The upgrade awards and special services awards were worth a bit more.

However, BE points expire. I would consult your tax advisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.