Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive for posts relating to Business Extra (nee Business ExtrAA) since 2008.

The current, active Business Extra thread is Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)

Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by shihyin
For those still waiting for the Europe promotion over summer, mine finally all posted! Here is how I got there.
1. I had three eligible round trips, only one was automatically posted (qualified for 400 points), I waited until the time I can request flight credit to submit the two missing ones.
2. At the meantime, there was one 1600 points posted (weird because the only flight I had on record is only eligible for 400)
3. I waited until the two missing trips were posted to contact CS via email summarizing the missing points (2000 total)
3. CS informed me that they are processing another batch of BA promotion and asked me to be patient.
4. Waited another statement without any points. Contacted CS again, she agreed to post the missing points manually.
5. The missing points showed up in this statement (yay!)
This is really something. I had 4 r/t J tickets to Europe departing late June, returning July. Two of the bonuses posted in October, one in November, and the fourth hasn't posted at all!

Originally Posted by econometrics
I have no idea what points / credits are missing at this point. My account summary is a mess.

I need to hire a BE account auditor to help me sort it all out. Sheesh.
+1 to this! Given the tremendous delay between the date of the flight and the date the points post (not to mention the not-1-to-1 formula between ticket price and points), I to have no idea what is missing, if anything. econometrics, maybe we should split a BE account auditor.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by crimson12
This is really something. I had 4 r/t J tickets to Europe departing late June, returning July. Two of the bonuses posted in October, one in November, and the fourth hasn't posted at all!

+1 to this! Given the tremendous delay between the date of the flight and the date the points post (not to mention the not-1-to-1 formula between ticket price and points), I to have no idea what is missing, if anything. econometrics, maybe we should split a BE account auditor.
If you want the points you deserve, it takes persistence and some organization (like I did ). But it shouldn't be this hard at the first place in this era of technology....
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:59 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
If I have points expiring this year, and take an award that I may not necessarily want, will re-depositing that award allow me to get back my points, or will I just lose them? What should I expect?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by uxb
If I have points expiring this year, and take an award that I may not necessarily want, will re-depositing that award allow me to get back my points, or will I just lose them? What should I expect?
In my recent experience, the redeposit of the award was the same as new points so the expiration carried out to its normal terms. In my case there was a fee for the return of the points so not something you would want to do a lot of or else it isnt worth it but was worth it on the one award for me.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by uxb
Any upgrade/award certificate will allow you another year to use from the time of redemption. Or, spend the points on lounge access.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, *Wood PLT, HHonors Gold
Wrong post

Originally Posted by uxb

Last edited by ResQTekBill; Dec 24, 2016 at 6:48 am Reason: Wrong post
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:10 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by mcgahat
In my recent experience, the redeposit of the award was the same as new points so the expiration carried out to its normal terms. In my case there was a fee for the return of the points so not something you would want to do a lot of or else it isnt worth it but was worth it on the one award for me.
Thanks for this info!
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by mcgahat
In my recent experience, the redeposit of the unused award was the same as new points so the expiration carried out to its normal terms. In my case there was a fee for the return of the points so not something you would want to do a lot of or else it isnt worth it but was worth it on the one award for me.
When you called to return the unused award, which information did the agent want from you, flight information or your AAdvantage information etc?
The WiKi says no fee for EXP and I wonder how they determine which cert is for EXP and which cert is for non-EXP because there should be various different AAdvantage status members in your company, for example. The original certificate doesn't show AAdvantage information who will use the cert.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
When you called to return the unused award, which information did the agent want from you, flight information or your AAdvantage information etc?
The WiKi says no fee for EXP and I wonder how they determine which cert is for EXP and which cert is for non-EXP because there should be various different AAdvantage status members in your company, for example. The original certificate doesn't show AAdvantage information who will use the cert.
I didnt call but instead just emailed them. They gave me instructions for sending the cert in and told to include a check. I did not see the item in the wiki and they mentioned nothing about there being no fee for an EXP (which I am). I just read the wiki and it mentions that the points would be returned with their original expiration which would put me in a bind since I used points that were expiring at the end of 2015.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:43 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by britz
I have a ticket on hold that includes SFO-PHL that I am considering requesting a BXP1 upgrade for. Of course there is no C space (per EF) but I think I read somewhere (can't find it) that BXP1 upgrades are higher priority than comp EXP/500 mile upgrades. Can someone verify this? I'm debating whether it's worth up-faring and waitlisting the BXP1 or just going off the complimentary exp upgrade.
It would be the same as any Upgrade Award vs. EXP Upgrade scenario - no difference in priority a priori, but outside the EXP window, the BXP1 works in your favor as C inventory may open up earlier. Inside the EXP window, it's probably better to use your comp upgrade, as if it comes down to clearing at the gate, the gate agent will generally prefer to process the EXP upgrade rather than the BXP1, which requires reticketing.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:11 am

I don't believe BXP1 require reticketing. In fact I think AA specifically does not allow a BXP1 ever to be reticketed. An SWU upgrade (which is treated almost the same as BXP1 upgrade on the list) does required a reissue. It used to be that an EP SWU was the highest priority on the u/l followed by miles and BXP1 upgrades then by 500 mile upgrades....These days I don't think anyone really knows how it actually gets pushed around in the various systems....
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:27 am

confirming information

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the redemption of BX1A or BXTA (PlanAAhead or AAnytime Awards in Coach for US Within North America). I called and was told the following:

To fly into one city (e.g., ORD-Portland) and then home from another (e.g., San Diego-ORD) is possible using these tickets.

They told me flying into Vancouver but home from San Diego would NOT be possible (due to 2 different countries, even though the ticket is for North America).

I was also told "including US Transcontinental" applies only to flight to/from NYC to California.

In the past, I have been told inaccurate information and then been put in a bind later when I go to get the ticket, so before I redeem an award I want to confirm that the above information is correct.

THANKS!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by miles4sheli
Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the redemption of BX1A or BXTA (PlanAAhead or AAnytime Awards in Coach for US Within North America). I called and was told the following:

To fly into one city (e.g., ORD-Portland) and then home from another (e.g., San Diego-ORD) is possible using these tickets.

They told me flying into Vancouver but home from San Diego would NOT be possible (due to 2 different countries, even though the ticket is for North America).

I was also told "including US Transcontinental" applies only to flight to/from NYC to California.

In the past, I have been told inaccurate information and then been put in a bind later when I go to get the ticket, so before I redeem an award I want to confirm that the above information is correct.

THANKS!
If you click on the little question mark symbol next to the awards, it will show you the couple of cities that the U.S. Transcontinental applies to. What puzzles me is what disadvantages the BXTA have over the BX1A. It seems BXTA is more flexible. I try talking to an agent about this, but it was hopeless.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:37 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
I don't believe BXP1 require reticketing. In fact I think AA specifically does not allow a BXP1 ever to be reticketed. An SWU upgrade (which is treated almost the same as BXP1 upgrade on the list) does required a reissue. It used to be that an EP SWU was the highest priority on the u/l followed by miles and BXP1 upgrades then by 500 mile upgrades....These days I don't think anyone really knows how it actually gets pushed around in the various systems....
I checked and I have actually only used BXP1 once, back in 2013, and I was able to upfare, apply the BXP1, and pay for the ticket all in the same call, so I can't say for sure.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by qazw1
If you click on the little question mark symbol next to the awards, it will show you the couple of cities that the U.S. Transcontinental applies to. What puzzles me is what disadvantages the BXTA have over the BX1A. It seems BXTA is more flexible. I try talking to an agent about this, but it was hopeless.
I just redeemed points for the very first time after having them expire in years past! I have two simple questions (I think) regarding the BX1A that I redeemed. First, I put a name in the "presented to" box to give to a friend of mine. What if he can't use it or wants to use it for his girlfriend, does it matter that his name is in the box or do they only need the code?

Second, can that award be used on MIA-LAX which is a transcon even though the BXTA is meant for transcons? Should I have given him a BXTA instead so that he could use that from Miami anywhere?

I tried clicking on the little question marks but I didn't get any cities displayed. Can I redeposit an award tomorrow and have them reissue a different award on the same day? Especially since tomorrow is December 31!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.