FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1661332-archive-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html)

akersnl Dec 11, 2008 1:39 pm

ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)

Hi all!

I have some expiring Business ExtrAA points I have to cash in before the end of the year. This will be the first time I have cashed in any points associated with this program, so I am looking for some advice on which awards are most valuable. I have:

710 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2008
1,434 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2009
2,048 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2010

4,192 total points.

The only awards under the 710 point minimum that expires this year are north american upgrade, which being PT does not seem worth while. I was considering the full fare upgrade between US and Europe or the PlanAAhead economy ticket within US. How hard is it to get the PlanAAhead seats? I think we would all agree these are pretty expensive awards considering its $10/point, but I guess it's a good way to double dip. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread has been hijacked into a general Business ExtrAA discussion / Q&A thread. :)

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Pit Dec 11, 2008 2:00 pm

If they were my points, I'd take a planAAhead award. Don't let them go to waste.

ESpen36 Dec 11, 2008 2:40 pm

The only thing I use BusinessExtraa points for is AC Daypasses. They make great gifts are and are fully transferrable until you write the name on the pass!

(also works great for family/friends who are not AC members or are elites but travel domestically)

gemac Dec 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by akersnl (Post 10893794)
Hi all!

I have some expiring Business ExtrAA points I have to cash in before the end of the year. This will be the first time I have cashed in any points associated with this program, so I am looking for some advice on which awards are most valuable. I have:

710 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2008
1,434 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2009
2,048 points are scheduled to expire 12-31-2010

4,192 total points.

The only awards under the 710 point minimum that expires this year are north american upgrade, which being PT does not seem worth while. I was considering the full fare upgrade between US and Europe or the PlanAAhead economy ticket within US. How hard is it to get the PlanAAhead seats? I think we would all agree these are pretty expensive awards considering its $10/point, but I guess it's a good way to double dip. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

You can use for a domestic award whenever Milesaaver seats are available. You can check on AA.com.

sbrower Dec 11, 2008 7:37 pm

I got home 3 hours ago from a free flight off Business Extra points. It was only SNA-SFO (RT) because I let myself get jammed into the end of the year, but it worked fine and saved me a few hundred dollars.

ckpeter Dec 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Don't forget that you can always redeem 2400 points for a gift of gold status. It may come in handy for yourself or one of your friends.

emcat Dec 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 10895728)
Don't forget that you can always redeem 2400 points for a gift of gold status. It may come in handy for yourself or one of your friends.

I was also considering this, but it seems you have to submit the recepients AAdvantage number for it to be redeemed. It would be much nicer if it was a certificate that could be given to someone as a gift instead.

pixpixpix Dec 11, 2008 11:22 pm

I just used 4400 for SFO-EZE. great trip and availability wasn't too difficult. Do you have more points waiting to post?

MikeBOS Dec 12, 2008 12:55 am

The BXP2 award upgrading from US to Europe is a good deal for 1200 points. Requires a B or Y fare, but no co-pay, and as Platinum you should be able to use them on most flights (may have to waitlist but it usually clears).

AAaLot Dec 12, 2008 6:48 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

AC day pass is what I did last year...then I lost it.

PapiTheWriter Dec 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 10894217)
The only thing I use BusinessExtraa points for is AC Daypasses. They make great gifts are and are fully transferrable until you write the name on the pass!

(also works great for family/friends who are not AC members or are elites but travel domestically)

This is how I use my points! I keep a few in my wallet for domestic use (since Intl I dont need them) and/or give them to friends and family - they love them!

Enjoy!

qazw1 Dec 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Newbie question, how does one get Business ExtrAA points?

gemac Dec 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by qazw1 (Post 10903705)
Newbie question, how does one get Business ExtrAA points?

Sign up for Business ExtrAA, then enter your Business ExtrAA number in the Business ExtrAA field when you book your tickets.

mvoight Dec 13, 2008 11:40 pm

What about the free domestic tickets? or an upgrade to Europe for 3100?

qazw1 Dec 14, 2008 7:45 am

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 10904326)
Sign up for Business ExtrAA, then enter your Business ExtrAA number in the Business ExtrAA field when you book your tickets.

Thanks.

Seems like I have to be a company in order to sign up. So no go for me.