Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Exactly. If it was a battlefield upgrade then there was a high probability the UPG a may not have cleared. You paid for a coach seat. That's it.
+1.

Also, nobody wants to delay a flight because of GA's chasing down people to clear upgrades. The GA's work hard enough clearing upgrades, boarding passengers, and helping to ensure flights get out on time!!

It's our responsibility to be around when it's time for our name to be called.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by mvedda
+1.

Also, nobody wants to delay a flight because of GA's chasing down people to clear upgrades. The GA's work hard enough clearing upgrades, boarding passengers, and helping to ensure flights get out on time!!

It's our responsibility to be around when it's time for our name to be called.

Cheers.
So my only question on this is if you are making a connection and are late making the connection because of the airline should they hold the upgrade for you or pass you by.

I would rather AA issue the upgrades as they should be and then at T-10min bump up that one flyer or have the FA move up the flyer.

Being bypassed on the list because your not at the boarding gate is a little bit of a slap in the face especially if your late because of the airline.

In the OPs case well he was late to the gate because of his own poor time management and planning.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:43 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to redacted post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Am I missing something here? Does the OP ever say how "late" he or she was?
Bingo.

Yet people will continue to harangue OP over his being 'late'.

The important issue here is 'when do you need to be at the gate to not miss an upgrade?' .. as in WHAT TIME.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Bingo.

The important issue here is 'when do you need to be at the gate to not miss an upgrade?' .. as in WHAT TIME.
It's been my experience that the GAs hold the last UPG until T-15 - usually when ZONE 2 or higher has already been called. I've loitered at the counter when I knew I was #1 and there may be an F no show or misconnect. Or they will do the UPG call right before boarding.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Bingo.

Asked and answered upthread:

How long does one have- based on published rules, CoC, or what have you- to respond to an agent before you can lose your upgrade?

I mean we know you have to be at the gate by t-10 (?) or you lose your seat. But can an agent clear upgrades at say t-30, and give a minute or two, and be done by t-25?
Originally Posted by vasantn
Officially, all bets are off at T-20.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Another point is that OP was traveling with someone else. So, if he was walking at a snails pace, he could have always had his traveling companion go to the gate ahead of him to deal with the GA/Upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, MR PLAT
OP was never late to the gate. I arrived as first class was boarding.

Since the person travelling with me is new to travelling, no point in sending them ahead as they would not have known what to do.

The whole point of this is that AA should issue the upgrade and then wait to see if that person accepts it in time or not. They shouldn't be skipping people in advance because they don't hear their name over the loud speaker or make it within the GAs time frame.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Some unwelcoming and rude content has been removed. I've also removed some discussion around what's on the FT homepage as that's not germane to this thread.

Please consider this a bow shot. Discuss the questions at hand without getting personal, or risk more formal action.

~Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by glostik
OP was never late to the gate. I arrived as first class was boarding.

Since the person travelling with me is new to travelling, no point in sending them ahead as they would not have known what to do.

The whole point of this is that AA should issue the upgrade and then wait to see if that person accepts it in time or not. They shouldn't be skipping people in advance because they don't hear their name over the loud speaker or make it within the GAs time frame.
Can you help us understand a discrepancy in your info please?

The title of the thread says late for gate, and the above reply says you weren't late to the gate.

I also can't figure out how you could possibly hear your name called @ lax while standing at or around gate 41 (info you gave in your first post) -- gate 48 is very far away and pages over head in that area (gates 46-49) of the terminal are normally isolated in that area. Gate 41 is right after TSa checkin. 48 is at far end of terminal.

Where exactly were you when your heard your name called?

You arrived at first class boarding? Where exactly? into the terminal near 41 or actually at gate 48?

If you were indeed at gate 41 when your name was called, forget it. You'll never make it in time - ankle injury or not.

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Mar 3, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Microwave
Please consider this a bow shot. Discuss the questions at hand without getting personal, or risk more formal action.
@:-)

~Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Microwave
Some unwelcoming and rude content has been removed. I've also removed some discussion around what's on the FT homepage as that's not germane to this thread.

~Moderator
"As it is written, so it shall be."

Is it still ok to express an opinion that the OP is more than likely entirely in the wrong (on this one), and should perhaps get a better understanding of how things work BEFORE he/she/it overreaches and over embellishes the next imaginary crime and tries to throw their imaginary weight around, again?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvedda
Can you help us understand a discrepancy in your info please?

The title of the thread says late for gate, and the above reply says you weren't late to the gate.
The OP did not write the thread title - JDiver did.

The OP's original thread title was "Denied Upgrade Because of Disability," which caused a hue and cry because some deemed it misleading, inaccurate and inflammatory.

The OP wasn't "late" to the gate meaning their seat assignment and reservation were subject to cancellation, but the OP was "late" to the gate in terms of claiming their upgraded boarding pass.

I don't know what AA's rules and policies are in this area, but in my extensive experience, if you're hoping for a battlefield upgrade, it behooves you to be near the gate when your name is called. Not in the club. Not in the bathroom. Not at the other end of the terminal when an injury means you "walk at a snail's pace."

if you're really hoping to exchange your boarding pass for an upgraded seat at the gate, the best advice is to be at the gate about when the agent shows up so that you don't miss out on those announcements. And that isn't all that difficult these days as the agents rarely show up more than 15-20 minutes before the boarding time (shown on your boarding pass). It's not like the old days when agents might show up to manually change the flight number and destination 2-3 hours before departure.

For those who simply can't be at the gate 15-20 minutes before boarding is scheduled, you'll probably find that your battlefield upgrades go to the next name on the list. Maybe the agent won't skip over you, but if they do, I don't think you have anything about which to complain.

I doubt that anyone in AA management could possibly care less about the OP's predicament, but the OP can certainly plead their case and then report back if I'm mistaken.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I'd be interested in hearing the responses from the other employees at his company. You know - those who have been flying AA, pretty much happy with the service, collecting Aadvantage miles, working for elite status. Suddenly because the boss doesn't get an upgrade due to his own failure to get to the gate on time, all that is swept away. The employees all have to start new with another airline (one that similarly might deny an upgrade due to someone's own failure to get to the gate on time), 0 miles balance, no elite status.
The travel decision maker doesn't have to be the boss/C-level manager of a company, does it? The road warriors at this company may not even report to OP.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: none
It doesn't look like the upgrade went unused; it just went to someone else.

There's probably someone out there (maybe even on FT) saying, "All the upgrades were already taken and I was next on the list -- but then a name ahead of mine no-showed and they gave the UG to me."

Win some, lose some.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Sant
The travel decision maker doesn't have to be the boss/C-level manager of a company, does it? The road warriors at this company may not even report to OP.
If true, then the road warriors, inside the company and out, who do the real BIS, already see him/her/it for what he/she/it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.