Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mvedda
Can you help us understand a discrepancy in your info please?

The title of the thread says late for gate, and the above reply says you weren't late to the gate.

I also can't figure out how you could possibly hear your name called @ lax while standing at or around gate 41 (info you gave in your first post) -- gate 48 is very far away and pages over head in that area (gates 46-49) of the terminal are normally isolated in that area. Gate 41 is right after TSa checkin. 48 is at far end of terminal.

Where exactly were you when your heard your name called?

You arrived at first class boarding? Where exactly? into the terminal near 41 or actually at gate 48?

If you were indeed at gate 41 when your name was called, forget it. You'll never make it in time - ankle injury or not.

Cheers.
Re: the original thread title was Denied Upgrade Because of Disability, which was deemed contrary to the Rule about thread titling:

4.0 Thread Titles

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
The thread was retitled Skipped Over for Upgrade - Ankle Injury, Late to Gate Counter as the OP reported he was called to the Gate Counter about his upgrade, but because of his ankle injury was late to report to the Gate Counter and the upgrade was granted to another.

The post title reflects the original thread title.

/Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Sant
The travel decision maker doesn't have to be the boss/C-level manager of a company, does it? The road warriors at this company may not even report to OP.
True.

It's the same difference, though. Because of some decision-maker's failure to take responsibility for their own actions, I am told by someone in authority that from now on I have to fly an airline other than AA. Thus, I now have to start from 0 miles and no elite status on a different airline.

I'm not going to be real happy about that if I have a nice stash of miles and am looking forward to my next reward point or elite status level in a few more flights.

Finally, if the ultimate boss/owner/CEO empowers the subordinate travel manager to make sweeping changes without considering the impact on the road warrior employees, then that boss/owner/CEO might find himself with resentful, lower-producing employees and higher turnover. At Boss School 101, they teach you "Don't Do Stupid Things" the first week.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The GA needs to process seat assignments, standbys, upgrades, get the flight boarded and out on time. Sorry he/she does not have the time to figure out where a standby or upgrader might be in or outside of the terminal. If you are standing by or waiting for an upgrade you should be at the gate at T-45. If your name is called and you don't show likely your place will go to the next person on the list.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Absurd. You don't need to be present t-45 to claim an upgrade. Or even be present when the GA decides to call your name. Being present at time of boarding is the only thing necessary. If your bp beeps, you're handed a new one. Many GAs have never announced my cleared upgrade in advance. And let's not forget mobile bps. Isn't that what the app is for? It's automatically updated with the new seat assignment. Are we saying that someone needs to approach a GA for a paper boarding pass if they're using a mobile one and are upgraded? I didn't think so.

This GA made a judgment call they should not have made.

Last edited by justforfun; Mar 3, 2015 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justforfun
Absurd. You don't need to be present t-45 to claim an upgrade. Or even be present when the GA decides to call your name. Being present at time of boarding is the only thing necessary. If your bp beeps, you're handed a new one. Many GAs have never announced my cleared upgrade in advance. And let's not forget mobile bps. Isn't that what the app is for? It's automatically updated with the new seat assignment. Are we saying that someone needs to approach a GA for a paper boarding pass if they're using a mobile one and are upgraded? I didn't think so.

This GA made a judgment call they should not have made.
What I have learned is not to totally trust the GA. Some handle the stress well and others.... Case in point, I took a bump on Sunday at LAX, flying LAX/LAS/MIA instead of LAX/MIA. The GA is totally stressed because he needs to IVB 5 very angry paxs. He processes my bump and voucher, hands me new BPS for LAX/LAS/MIA. I'm standing in line a few minutes later to board the LAX/LAS flight and I look at the second BP for LAS/MIA. Low and behold its for a flight that I will never make (arriving 15 minutes in LAS after its departure). So I need to get out of line and go back to the GA that luckily is still there processing IVBs. He stops processing IVBs and round and round he goes on the phone now getting me on a later LAS/MIA flight that was oversold. Finally he hands me a BP for 14E. So I go back over to the LAS flight that is getting ready to leave, last to board.

Now I get to LAS and when the agent comes on duty I ask about a better seat. She laughs and hands me a BP for seat 1A, most definitely better than 14E. Moral of the story, you need to be proactive and not be reliant on the GA.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The GA did not process the UG because it was evident that OP had interacted at the counter and not had his PNR split. Had the GA acted precipitously, this would have led to the inevitable FT thread, "I wanted to travel with my colleague, but AA separated us without asking".

The GA had likely done just this the day before and been upbraided for that by someone who claimed that they control a $1 Bill. travel budget or whatever.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
Absurd. You don't need to be present t-45 to claim an upgrade. Or even be present when the GA decides to call your name. B
If ojn a 40 minute domestic connection it is darn hard to be there at T-45.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
In that case the GA can see you are on a tight connection and will be arriving soon. What I have done in the past is ask the arriving GA to call my departure gate and let them know I am on my way so please don't give away any upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
While true, that is not relevant to the discussion of this particular situation. OP was apparently originating at LAX, and was not at the gate at T-45 by intent as far as we know at this point.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
It's always fascinating to see that some people take UG for granted. They tend to forget what they paid for.

"Decision maker" ? DYKWIA ? His employer should get Internal Control on the move to check compliance issues.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ioto1902
It's always fascinating to see that some people take UG for granted. They tend to forget what they paid for.

"Decision maker" ? DYKWIA ? His employer should get Internal Control on the move to check compliance issues.
mild overreaction? The employer was neither named nor blamed, so there's hardly a compliance issue.

OP was upset that GA skipped him briefly after he was elected to be the person that cleared the UG list. So the the ug [i]wasp/i] granted and there's no presumption here on behalf of the OP.
Sure the disability thing is over the top and so is the expectation that AA has mechanisms in place to deal with this particular case of privilege. But I'd be unsettled too if my ug would be hawked off right in front of me.
What are the odds of the ug receiver not showing up after checking in at the airport? The GA may indeed be somewhat overzealous.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by weero
mild overreaction? The employer was neither named nor blamed, so there's hardly a compliance issue.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
My point was : if OP is really the kind of guy saying "I'm decision maker of my company, therefore I should benefit from a high status (UG priority) from AA" or "AA skipped my UG, therefore AA is off the purchasing list of my company",
then, his employer should be worried about compliance with other suppliers.

That's just an opinion ... completely professionally distorted.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The OP wasn't "late" to the gate meaning their seat assignment and reservation were subject to cancellation, but the OP was "late" to the gate in terms of claiming their upgraded boarding pass.

I don't know what AA's rules and policies are in this area, but in my extensive experience, if you're hoping for a battlefield upgrade, it behooves you to be near the gate when your name is called. Not in the club. Not in the bathroom. Not at the other end of the terminal when an injury means you "walk at a snail's pace."
This is ridiculous. AA has an upgrade priority and they should stick to it. Period. If a pax doesn't collect the new BP when his name is announced, then give it to him when he tries to board with his old BP. Assuming he hasn't already refreshed his mobile BP. There's NO REASON this should have happened to the OP, since my understanding is he presented himself for boarding before the cutoff.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
We STILL dont know if OP was there by t-20.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HE says he was there when the began boarding first class, IME unless the flight is late that runs between 30-40 minutes out.

What happens if I'm not at the gate at T-40, I see the check mark by my name, download the boarding pass and the gate agent calls my name and I don't come and never check the app again until I board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.