Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipped Over for / Lost Upgrade: "Late to Gate", Upgrades Already Processed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
DFW Skylink delay

Several years ago I was connecting in DFW; for most connections (due to the size of DFW) one uses the Skylink. At one stop the doors wouldn't close--it took nearly 10 minutes for a SL agent to come and get the door closed. [Since the train couldn't move other trains behind it were unable to move]
When i got to the gate the agent said "I called your name several time for your upgrade seat assignmnent".
Since DFW is dependent on SL, are GAs kept abreast of delays? The GA could have given away my UPG.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Wheelchair, electric cart, piggy back ride, get to the airport early ... lots of ways you could have made it to the gate on time. You certainly had options.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In reality this has nothing to do with OP's injury, but rather his failure to allow for the time it would take to make it to the gate. That's all that matters. Whether you are slow because of an injury, a permanent disability or you choose to window shop, is irrelevant.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I believe it is T-15 for being on board, and T-10 the doors close.

I was T-12 and lost my J seat MIA-LAX last year, but got it back right away as I was just around the corner from the gate.

Whoops, I see it's being asserted above that it's T-20 and I'm not going to contradict that.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 2, 2015 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I missing something here? Does the OP ever say how "late" he or she was?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:28 am

OP doesn't make it clear what they were doing over at gate 41 if the flight was going out of 48. If they were hoofing it due to a late connection, then I'd just be glad I made my flight at all. And, as others have suggested, if that was the case, then why not request a cart upon inbound arrival? If they were just down there killing time, then no sympathy here. If I have even a chance of an airport upgrade, you can bet I'm going to be glued to that gate!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glostik
I am a MM EXP and the decision maker for my company when it comes to what airline we fly. I booked close to 50 flights this month alone.
If AA knows that you are the decision maker, I would think you would be CK. Are you? If you are CK and this happened to you, I would address your comments/complaints to the CK folks, as your CK status should be visible to the gate agent. If you are not CK, then it might be possible to address that lack, possibly by going through the contact for your corporate discount at AA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gemac
If AA knows that you are the decision maker, I would think you would be CK. Are you? If you are CK and this happened to you, I would address your comments/complaints to the CK folks, as your CK status should be visible to the gate agent. If you are not CK, then it might be possible to address that lack, possibly by going through the contact for your corporate discount at AA.
Excellent point, IMO.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am certain that AA collectively knew of both OP's bum ankle and the fact that he controls millions in travel funds (although he himself flies steerage). But, this isn't what GA's research, should research or are in a position to do something about.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I can only imagine the "conversation" that occurred at the gate........
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by bdemaria

<redacted> You state you were denied an upgrade for a "disability" This suggests that AA knowingly broke the ADA. If this is the case, then by all means you should pursue it.

However, the facts as you state them sound as if you were late to the gate b/c of an ankle injury. Why not ask for assistance to the gate when you checked in?

As for the injury being easier to deal w/if you had been seated in F. In 2014 I broke my foot and indeed sitting in F made travel easier so I paid to sit in F rather than risking my health/suffering discomfort.
+1 Due to health and disability, I pay for domestic F and international J each and every time. Simple (and harsh) as that.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:39 am Reason: Removed quote of redacted post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
<redacted>

Totally misleading, you were skipped over becasue you did not respond to The GA's page, that and only that. Should they hold UG's for elites longer ? I assume thats how you got the UG anyway . Should they have a priority systems for decison makers ? Maybe add DM to a FF number.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:40 am Reason: Threads should not be nominated for the smallest complaints thread
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by glostik

I am a MM EXP and the decision maker for my company when it comes to what airline we fly. I booked close to 50 flights this month alone.

Can I expect any kind of decent response from American on this?
I'd be interested in hearing the responses from the other employees at his company. You know - those who have been flying AA, pretty much happy with the service, collecting Aadvantage miles, working for elite status. Suddenly because the boss doesn't get an upgrade due to his own failure to get to the gate on time, all that is swept away. The employees all have to start new with another airline (one that similarly might deny an upgrade due to someone's own failure to get to the gate on time), 0 miles balance, no elite status.

Would I go the extra mile for such a boss? Would I work late to get the report out on time? Would I be loyal to this boss? Would I watch his back?

Or would I take the first offer that matches my salary and work for a competitor?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
<redacted>

As to the OP's situation, s/he has my sympathy for the injury (or was that self-inflicted too?). But not for anything else. I have on several occasions had injuries, or post-surgery issues, which have significantly restricted my mobility. Each time I have requested wheelchair assistance (in the more serious instances) or made additional allowance for time. OP is clearly an experienced traveller and aware of the need to be at the gate to get upgrades. S/he clearly failed to do what was obviously necessary to get a FREE (note, not paid-for, FREE) upgrade, which s/he was clearly prepared to abandon his/her traveling companions to enjoy (classy!), and so ended up (poor lamb) getting exactly what was paid for. As I said before, absolutely no sympathy at all for that.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:41 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to moderator post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
As to the OP's situation, s/he has my sympathy for the injury (or was that self-inflicted too?). But not for anything else. I have on several occasions had injuries, or post-surgery issues, which have significantly restricted my mobility. Each time I have requested wheelchair assistance (in the more serious instances) or made additional allowance for time. OP is clearly an experienced traveller and aware of the need to be at the gate to get upgrades. S/he clearly failed to do what was obviously necessary to get a FREE (note, not paid-for, FREE) upgrade, which s/he was clearly prepared to abandon his/her traveling companions to enjoy (classy!), and so ended up (poor lamb) getting exactly what was paid for. As I said before, absolutely no sympathy at all for that.
Exactly. If it was a battlefield upgrade then there was a high probability the UPG a may not have cleared. You paid for a coach seat. That's it.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 3, 2015 at 2:42 am Reason: Removed quote of redacted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.