FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1654629-aa-flight-dfw-hkg-dfw-experiences-questions.html)

abk Jan 26, 2015 10:56 am

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 24236754)
Yes, the premium lounges on some of the other OW carriers are a good step above those American offers. That's one thing I'd really love to see American work to improve.

I really don't see American improving their lounge situation. I was in Mia last week and the lounge situation is pretty dismal as is the fact that there are no Flagship lounges in Dfw or Mia. The one bright spot I see in domestic lounges is the expansion of the Amex Centurion lounges. They are right up there quality wise with lounges like CXs.

boss315 Jan 26, 2015 1:27 pm

I was on AA136/135 this past weekend and had the same positive type experience as the OP. After years of enduring surly FA's on UA on my TATL flights in both Y and C, I was pleasantly surprised that the crews on both flights were friendly and actually seemed to like their jobs. I was in MCE on 136 and C on 135...I was asked on both legs if I needed anything several times by cabin crew...very little difference in the great level of concern in either Y or C. While nebulous, the atmosphere was not tense and forced as on UA's Intl. flights.

skylady Jan 26, 2015 3:36 pm

So nice to hear the positive stories!

myleguy Jan 26, 2015 3:52 pm

I was on that flight too in C in the minicabin so I know who you're referring to. Service was good in C also.

Dr. HFH Jan 26, 2015 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by abk (Post 24236816)
... the fact that there are no Flagship lounges in Dfw ....

I don't get this. DFW is HQ for AA, and has numerous international flights with F cabins. Why would they not have a FL there?

skylady Jan 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 24239754)
I don't get this. DFW is HQ for AA, and has numerous international flights with F cabins. Why would they not have a FL there?

But the onboard service was good!;)

gengar Jan 27, 2015 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Zach1213 (Post 24235855)
Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I've noticed service on my 77W flights tend to be noticeably better than 772 flights.

Interesting theory. Like boss315 as well, I have had excellent service in F on AA136 and it has been a refreshing change from UA - although noting my sample size is very small (I only fly AA136 as I travel from LAS and prefer the BA nonstop on the return).

Dr. HFH Jan 27, 2015 5:53 am

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 24240664)
But the onboard service was good!;)

Possibly the best I've ever had on an AA long haul flight, SkyLady!!

Eye of Storm Jan 27, 2015 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 24239754)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

luckypierre Jan 27, 2015 7:34 am

Pleased to read these positive reports on DFW HKG service. I will fly the route in May. When an AA crew clicks, they can compete with any of the Asian carriers. I have yet to see that on United, where the bright ones are submerged into a general adversarial attitude.

rjque Jan 27, 2015 8:20 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre (Post 24242150)
Pleased to read these positive reports on DFW HKG service. I will fly the route in May. When an AA crew clicks, they can compete with any of the Asian carriers. I have yet to see that on United, where the bright ones are submerged into a general adversarial attitude.

I actually think great crews of the US flagged carriers are often better than the Asian counterparts, who tend to be a bit more robotic as a rule. Unfortunately, for every great crew, there are scores more who just do the minimum.

Always Flyin Feb 13, 2015 5:17 am

It's a long flight. Heck, it's a very long flight.

I did it round-trip in business in December. Very comfortable seat, decent food, alcohol was good (ignoring the champagne and wine, which isn't all that), good IFE, huge lavatory on the starboard side, and good service (better for me from DFW to HKG; the return was two steps down in quality. YMMV). I liked the in-flight snack-bar.

I am doing it again in F in a couple of months.

It's not CX, but I found it quite good.

trekker954 Feb 13, 2015 5:45 am

I flown a few times in MCE and found it to be a decent ride. I like the small section as it tends to be a bit quieter. Service was excellent. When I flew in late November, the upgrade list was crazy, many FF members, so MCE was pretty the XPLAT club or wannabees. :rolleyes:

The lavatories were big, as the previous posted said, the food/wine/inflight snacks all very decent. entertainment was good.

Although long, I found it very comfortable.

Burj Feb 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Just flew this and it as my first long haul AA flight as I normally fly Delta.

I was surprised that the ear buds they give out for free are REALLY cheap and they do not offer eye shades or ear plugs (Delta does). I find eye shades to be a huge help in sleeping, especially if someone near by is reading and has their light on.

They also do not hand out a menu card/service summary pamphlet like Delta.

They did sell Duty Free on board (Delta does not). Unfortunately AA does not have any AA items, like model airplanes.

I was in MCE and noticed the FA consulting her hand hand device to see where the EP's were located and offering them newspapers (left over from Business Class) FIRST before offering them in general to people in MCE.

Unless you are very small I would avoid the 10 abreast main cabin at all costs as it really is tight back there!

AANYC1981 Feb 14, 2015 10:43 am

I flew in J this past fall both ways and found it very comfortable. Crews were great and attentive. Got plenty of sleep thanks to the drink refills :) Doing this trip again in May and looking forward to the flight. 3J is booked!