FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1654629-aa-flight-dfw-hkg-dfw-experiences-questions.html)

moondog Nov 28, 2014 9:42 am

[QUOTE=alien;23909770]

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 23863282)

Coincidently, Hong Kong AE AA check-in is also #14.

14 is a very bad number in China.

PaulInTheSky Nov 29, 2014 8:03 am

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW (Post 23908863)

Thank you.

For people who are able to do OLCI with the international itinerary, when they cannot get cleared in advance, can they request to be put to the upgrade standby list online, or it must be done at the airport?

ESpen36 Nov 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Is OLCI now available on HKG itineraries for US passport holders? Any word on whether the IT glitch has finally been corrected?

Ready2Go Nov 30, 2014 3:04 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 23915746)
Is OLCI now available on HKG itineraries for US passport holders? Any word on whether the IT glitch has finally been corrected?

Was not available to me in either direction this week. (US passport holder with prior R/T on 137/138 and a passport valid until 2024 that was in each PNR.)

FlyerTalker688786 Nov 30, 2014 4:34 am

30/11 shows AA137 DFW HKG 6 hours delay. Anyone knows why? One of my friends got bumped yesterday due to weight restrictions. And today the flight in serious delay. Not fun.

77W_12A Nov 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 23917547)
30/11 shows AA137 DFW HKG 6 hours delay. Anyone knows why? One of my friends got bumped yesterday due to weight restrictions. And today the flight in serious delay. Not fun.

There are going to be more weight restrictions on the outbound as we approach winter. Flight times going to HKG are on average 1.5 to 2 hours longer. I would absolutely dread taking this flight during the winter. I'd imagine this flight hitting 17 hours.

Ceasy Nov 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Wow you fly a lot. Amazing!

Wonder if you fly more than anyone else on this site. I'd suggest you could be a contender...

PaulInTheSky Nov 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ceasy (Post 23921109)

Wow you fly a lot. Amazing!

Wonder if you fly more than anyone else on this site. I'd suggest you could be a contender...

Meh...Thank you. However, in UA forum, there are roughly five people on the list of 400k+; some people are 'double' or even 'triple' Diamond in DL, so I am just a very small potato. :) If you talk about combined, maybe I am getting there, but nowhere I will surpass ua1_flyer's record. :) Even JDiver flies more than I do.

I will have two more RTs to HKG and maybe a couple of hops domestic, for the month of December. One more RT to HKG in January. Planning to get two more in Feb and March. If I need to get upgrades, I should really get the tickets now. :)

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 23921141)
There's not the slightest doubt about that.

There is another thread where someone was pissed as he suspects it's check-in time instead of time of request.

Dr. HFH Jan 26, 2015 3:18 am

Great FA Service on 138

I flew 138 HKG-DFW yesterday in F. Although I am someone who normally takes the position that FA service is APFA-driven do-the-minimum, I had CX level service yesterday. My side was taken care of by two senior (24 and 40+ year) male flight attendants. CX has nothing on these guys. Every interaction was accompanied by a smile. I was told at the start of the flight just to use my call button if there was anything they could do for me. They were friendly and proactive. These guys were not people who retreated to the galley and closed the curtain between services; they regularly walked through the cabin just to check on everyone. At the end of the flight, I thanked them and gave them AAplause certificates. While I know that these are worth very little, they were both appreciative.

These guys were completely professional. If only AA had more FAs like these guys, -- they would have no problem competing with any carrier on soft product.

Zach1213 Jan 26, 2015 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 24234780)
I flew 138 HKG-DFW yesterday in F. Although I am someone who normally takes the position that FA service is APFA-driven do-the-minimum, I had CX level service yesterday. My side was taken care of by two senior (24 and 40+ year) male flight attendants. CX has nothing on these guys. Every interaction was accompanied by a smile. I was told at the start of the flight just to use my call button if there was anything they could do for me. They were friendly and proactive. These guys were not people who retreated to the galley and closed the curtain between services; they regularly walked through the cabin just to check on everyone. At the end of the flight, I thanked them and gave them AAplause certificates. While I know that these are worth very little, they were both appreciative.

These guys were completely professional. If only AA had more FAs like these guys, -- they would have no problem competing with any carrier on soft product.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I've noticed service on my 77W flights tend to be noticeably better than 772 flights. There are exceptions of course (best J service of my AA-flying career on NRT-ORD 772 last year), but generally my 77W flights have had great service, whereas my 772 flights have been "meh". This is across many flights with crews based in several locations (MIA, DFW, ORD).

I finally flew DFW-HKG in December and service was really quite good. Upon walking around the plane, I even witnessed the Y class FAs upbeat, cheerful, friendly even after 14 hours or so.

teemuflyer Jan 26, 2015 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 24234780)

Originally Posted by Zach1213 (Post 24235855)
I finally flew DFW-HKG in December and service was really quite good. Upon walking around the plane, I even witnessed the Y class FAs upbeat, cheerful, friendly even after 14 hours or so.

Glad to hear this, since I have at least 1 R/T flight booked to HKG later this year (in J). I wonder if it has to do with the fact that on this particular route the crew gets to spend a full day and 2 nights in HKG before flying back, i.e, arrive 6 pm'ish Tuesday, fly back 1 pm'ish Thursday. That is a nice layover in a great city!

swajames Jan 26, 2015 8:38 am

I agree that when American gets it right, they can be as good as absolutely anyone. I had two transcon flights on the 32B in F last week and the service on both was absolutely superb. Didn't hurt that on the JFK to SFO return I got to use the Cadillac from the flagship lounge to the plane accompanied by an absolutely delightful CK representative, but the onboard service on both flights really was first rate.

AANYC1981 Jan 26, 2015 10:13 am

I had great service to/from HKG on the 77W in J too. FA's were always checking on me and offering refills.

abk Jan 26, 2015 10:22 am

I would like to believe this is a trend but unfortunately I view these reports as the exception as opposed to the rule. My TPAC experience is that about 1 in 4 flights results in good but not great service.

As for eating in the CX lounge before the flight, it doesn't get any better than that to me.

swajames Jan 26, 2015 10:44 am

Yes, the premium lounges on some of the other OW carriers are a good step above those American offers. That's one thing I'd really love to see American work to improve.