FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1654629-aa-flight-dfw-hkg-dfw-experiences-questions.html)

teemuflyer Jun 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Catering in J & F- Anything Run Out Catering Wise?

Just curious if folks that have flown this flight in J or F have seen catering items, from wine options to snacks, run out on this, the longest flight AA has? I've seen it few time on DFW-NRT flights, but not consistently.

wrp96 Jun 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 23074163)
Just curious if folks that have flown this flight in J or F have seen catering items, from wine options to snacks, run out on this, the longest flight AA has? I've seen it few time on DFW-NRT flights, but not consistently.

Reading the report it did happen on the inaugural at the very least.

onesocalkid Jun 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 23074229)
Reading the report it did happen on the inaugural at the very least.

Did not happen on 6/17 to DFW...plenty of food, water, snacks, can't speak to wine.

Carberry Jun 23, 2014 3:58 am

Snacks etc

Flew DFW-HKG on Saturday 21 June. By 10 hours in, most snacks were gone - some cookie-looking items were left.

For some unknown reason AA believes it should serve breakfast 1.5 hours prior to arrival (6PM arrival). Seems contrary to the concept of serving the meal appropriate for the time zone one in which one is arriving.

Wines/whisky did not run out. Service was fair - seems the new Canto crew were not quite up to norm (not that AA norm is anything to shoot for).

Baggage arrived on carousel 3 which hosted flights arriving from Vancouver, Tianjin, and one other city + DFW. It was mayhem to say the least.

The hard product is really spectacular though I would redesign a better partition for the middle business seats and I would put the headphone jack in a position it could be used without a mirror.

mrlonghorn Jun 23, 2014 6:23 am

Not the case for me

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 23073514)
Unfortunately, AA is not releasing saver F and J awards to HKG.

I was able to book two R/T's in J for 55k miles each way. I thought that AUS-DFW-HKG on AA metal for 110k R/T in J was a good deal so I grabbed two of them. I seem to recall there being a fair amount of options too - maybe not June/July 2014 but further out.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jun 23, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by TxH2O (Post 23065988)
Flew on AA 137 DFW-HKG on June 17. Level of service was about equivalent to what I am used to on 772 business class services transpacific. Of course the seat was fantastic. Felt like flying CX seat 773.

They do have growing pains though. The map was loaded in English and Spanish. Oops, huh? Also the Chinese announcement was a little awkward, referring to flying over the USSR, not Russia. Also didn't have entry cards for HK.

Hopefully they'll get it up to speed quickly. All in all a pleasant flight.

Yeah. I noticed the Spanish maps, too. Also, the snack bar ran out of food very quickly. One thing to note is that AA doesn't have mobile boarding passes at HKG (unlike other airlines), so if you forget to print out a boarding pass and you use HKG as a connection point from another country in SE Asia, you can't use the transfer stations and you'll have to go through immigration and get back in.

AA777 Jun 29, 2014 6:55 am

Originally Posted by TxH2O (Post 23070931)
I have only flown CX J transpacific on award. The new AA 77W seat to HKG is in almost all ways identical to CX's, which makes a huge difference on a 16-hour flight. All aisle access, flatbed, pretty good IFE (although less HK-oriented obviously). DFW-HKG is going to be a tough upgrade over time, because it is so much more comfortable than 772 seats to ICN, PVG, NRT and PEK. At least until the new 772 seats are set to go. Service level just can't match CX, of course. This is a US-based carrier. All things equal (factoring in FF/elite considerations of course) would fly CX if I could, but no SWUs on CX, so AA it is.

Thanks for your .02. I just booked my first DFW-HKG on AA for September right after Mid Autumn Festival only because the rate was fantastic, first time in a long time have I seen a VERY reasonable rate for AA J. If the price, like it's been, was the same as CX, I would have booked CX. I book J and F and save SWUS for friends and family. Though for 16+ hrs I may upgrade to F on the way home.....

Cheers,
AA777

AA_EXP09 Jul 3, 2014 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by TxH2O (Post 23065988)
Flew on AA 137 DFW-HKG on June 17. Level of service was about equivalent to what I am used to on 772 business class services transpacific. Of course the seat was fantastic. Felt like flying CX seat 773.

They do have growing pains though. The map was loaded in English and Spanish. Oops, huh? Also the Chinese announcement was a little awkward, referring to flying over the USSR, not Russia. Also didn't have entry cards for HK.

Hopefully they'll get it up to speed quickly. All in all a pleasant flight.

Sometimes it is intentional-I have seen pax place their HKID on the tray to save the FA time when distributing cards.

Col Ronson Jul 4, 2014 8:21 pm

Flew 137/138 a week ago, and yes the moving map is in spanish/english, which i thought was funny. Maybe Cantonese is not loaded into the system? Actually for the first hour of AA138 HKG-DFW, DFW wasn't even loaded as the destination into the computer so it just showed Time to Destination --:-- and Distance to Destination ----. i bet they only fixed it cuz a passenger brought it up.

Also on the DFW-HKG segment it was english/cantonese announcements while on the return HKG-DFW segment it was english/cantonese/mandarin which i suspect was due to the 100+ CX connections in HKG. Most of the people i noticed on the HKG-DFW segment were mainland chinese.

Both flights i took arrived around 30-45 minutes early. DFW-HKG was only around 75% full while HKG-DFW was oversold by at least 30+ pax.

Also the wifi cuts out if you fly over mainland china but this is no big secret. blame the communists who dont want you having uncensored internet over their airspace. :)

moondog Jul 4, 2014 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Col Ronson (Post 23145454)
Flew 137/138 a week ago, and yes the moving map is in spanish/english, which i thought was funny. Maybe Cantonese is not loaded into the system?

Unless there is a hearing impaired option, Cantonese will never be loaded into the system. :)

BrianV Jul 9, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm flying next weekend on AUS-DFW-HKG-SIN, looking forward to the 777-300. I have 3-4 hour connections at HKG. Is anyone familiar with where DFW-HKG will arrive and where HKG-SIN on CX will depart and what my best lounge choice would be (as an Emerald)? My return is the same routing and I have the same lengthy connection.

Considering I bought the ticket like 10 days out, it was a pretty good deal. I flew AUS-DFW-NRT-NGO last month with 3 weeks notice and that ticket cost 50% more despite being significantly less miles.

The load on my DFW-HKG flights seems a bit low, especially in economy. First and Business are at about 50-60% load but economy is almost entirely open except MCE which is pretty well taken, so I suppose there are a bit of elites on these routes but AA is struggling to get mainline non-elite traffic on DFW-HKG and back (at least on my flights 137/138 next Sunday and the following Friday). AA's struggled with overseas expansion in the past years (Moscow, New Dehli, etc.).

Thanks for the lounge help.

moondog Jul 9, 2014 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV (Post 23172103)

I like the cabin when it's not crowded (it can get VERY crowded) because the food is the most to my liking. For F lounges, the Wing is nicer than the Pier IMO.

ktkw Jul 9, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm flying next weekend on AUS-DFW-HKG-SIN, looking forward to the 777-300. I have 3-4 hour connections at HKG. Is anyone familiar with where DFW-HKG will arrive and where HKG-SIN on CX will depart and what my best lounge choice would be (as an Emerald)? My return is the same routing and I have the same lengthy connection.

Considering I bought the ticket like 10 days out, it was a pretty good deal. I flew AUS-DFW-NRT-NGO last month with 3 weeks notice and that ticket cost 50% more despite being significantly less miles.

The load on my DFW-HKG flights seems a bit low, especially in economy. First and Business are at about 50-60% load but economy is almost entirely open except MCE which is pretty well taken, so I suppose there are a bit of elites on these routes but AA is struggling to get mainline non-elite traffic on DFW-HKG and back (at least on my flights 137/138 next Sunday and the following Friday). AA's struggled with overseas expansion in the past years (Moscow, New Dehli, etc.).

Are you looking at seat maps? if so I think because this route is to HKG a lot of the passengers may have tickets from their local travel agents in HK,China and thus have not assigned seats especially in economy. At least when I flew HKG-DFW I saw a lot of mainland chinese passengers on the flight. Would assume they dont konw how to go on AA.com to assign seats ahead of the flight.

IceTrojan Jul 9, 2014 10:40 pm

Is anyone familiar with where DFW-HKG will arrive and where HKG-SIN on CX will depart and what my best lounge choice would be (as an Emerald)?

Much of the time, US-bound flights depart from Gates 1-4 (easier for TSA-insanity/"security" purposes). As such, The Wing F Lounge will likely be your closest lounge option.

Of course, HKG operates differently than what we're used in the US... departure day, it can be at any gate.

For HKG-SIN, it's definitely a crap shoot for the gate, so just find out where it is when you arrive, and just head to either The Wing F or whichever other CX lounge is closest (FYI The Pier F is closed for renovation). Also, you can use any of the transit security lines, so if one is crowded, look for another one.

I'm looking forward to poking my head into the new QF lounge, but that's pretty close to The Wing already.

IceTrojan Jul 9, 2014 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by ktkw (Post 23172513)
Are you looking at seat maps? if so I think because this route is to HKG a lot of the passengers may have tickets from their local travel agents in HK,China and thus have not assigned seats especially in economy. At least when I flew HKG-DFW I saw a lot of mainland chinese passengers on the flight. Would assume they dont konw how to go on AA.com to assign seats ahead of the flight.

Yep, that's my fear. MCE is full except for a few middles, and Y- is wide open. I want to grab a B or K seat so I can dissuade others from taking the window/aisle seats adjacent to me, but I'm afraid it will backfire when all the tour groups check in and get their seat assignments :D