FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1654629-aa-flight-dfw-hkg-dfw-experiences-questions.html)

AAerSTL Feb 24, 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA (Post 24406981)
Came in on 138 yesterday into the frozen North Texas Tundra. Good flight overall. Sat in 5G and thought the seat was great - felt very private. No real congregating adjacent to seat while waiting for bathrooms (unlike row 15). Overall service was very good - friendly, responsive. Was concerned about galley noise/crew chatter from the service area at Door 2L/R but they were fine (actually, the guy is 5D was more annoying). Meals were tasty - and they set up the full snack buffet area which came in handy as I slept through the midflight snack and woke up with the munchies.

Regarding lounge access in Hong Kong - thought the Plaza Premium lounge near the AA gate was kind of low end but close to the gate where we flew out of. Went to The Bridge - meh is the best word to describe. Absolutely loved the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge - in fact, thought it was just a hair better than the J Class section of The Wing.

Bridge is meh? You are entitled to your opinion but I'd say it's among the best Saphire/Business lounges in the oneworld system. Did you go to both sides and see the long bar, smoothie bar and seating areas? I quite like the design and style CX used here. For some reason it makes me think of Shutters on the beach (Santa Monica).

ORDPLATAA Feb 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 24407604)
Bridge is meh? You are entitled to your opinion but I'd say it's among the best Saphire/Business lounges in the oneworld system. Did you go to both sides and see the long bar, smoothie bar and seating areas? I quite like the design and style CX used here. For some reason it makes me think of Shutters on the beach (Santa Monica).

I was in The North Wing. To me (IMHO), The Bridge felt very narrow and a tad claustrophobic (even with the huge wall of windows - hard to describe the feeling). Maybe it was just time of day, but there was an odd mix of passengers in the lounge and more kids than I expected. I think because I had already been to The Wing and the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge, The Bridge was a bit of a letdown. That being said, I did not go to The South Wing so maybe my critique should have just been for the part of The Bridge I saw.

imapilotaz Feb 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA (Post 24407774)
I was in The North Wing. To me (IMHO), The Bridge felt very narrow and a tad claustrophobic (even with the huge wall of windows - hard to describe the feeling). Maybe it was just time of day, but there was an odd mix of passengers in the lounge and more kids than I expected. I think because I had already been to The Wing and the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge, The Bridge was a bit of a letdown. That being said, I did not go to The South Wing so maybe my critique should have just been for the part of The Bridge I saw.

Hey, my pre-teen son, who is Sapphire, would object to that especially when we are lounging in The Bridge in 2 weeks. ;)

moki1 Feb 24, 2015 5:01 pm

When we flew into HKG the Wing lounge was great, especially the Cabanas for nice shower/ bath and rest/ relaxation. I guess because it is Chinese New Year there were not many people in the lounge either. The food at the Haven was also good. I would highly recommend.

txalphadog Feb 25, 2015 2:54 am

Same here !

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 24394162)
That's a fantastic fare, let alone 2 weeks out. I booked a bunch of $700-800 fares from LAX, but I believe SFO had it as low as $550-600.

Upgraded in 137 on 2/20 and out of my 10+ flights on 137/138, this was the best crew I've came across. Not that they were the most attentive, but the two serving my aisle gave me the feeling they actually enjoyed their job.

I was on that flight, and I agree ! Which aisle were you on?

frudd38 Feb 25, 2015 10:16 am

Originally Posted by txalphadog (Post 24411171)
I was on that flight, and I agree ! Which aisle were you on?

I was in the mini-cabin on the right side. Handed them a few of those recognition certs and they were genuinely pleased, although I believe all they get out of those is a company raffle ticket to prizes.

GunsOfNavarone Feb 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11 (Post 23042630)
Can EXP/OW Emerald use the CX F Wing lounge when flying on AA HKG-DFW?

Absolutely. I was in the Wing lounge 6 hours ago. The food and drink is nice, but overall it is not the kat's meow that it is talked up to be.

zznoname Feb 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone (Post 24427406)
Absolutely. I was in the Wing lounge 6 hours ago. The food and drink is nice, but overall it is not the kat's meow that it is talked up to be.

Good to know.

Yeah. No meow 'cause it's airport. But, if you know of a better F Lounge all in the world, please tell us and why.

Just to say... we're talking, airport lounges. Wait staff service, food (buffet, menu, snack menu) and showers. Booze if applicable.

I'm genuinely interested.

I'm guessing there might be one in the Middle East, but no way HKG Qantas. Interesting, but nope

Oops! Wrong thread. I'm a big, BIG CX HKG F fan.

anandrag Feb 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 24432533)
Good to know.

Yeah. No meow 'cause it's airport. But, if you know of a better F Lounge all in the world, please tell us and why.

Just to say... we're talking, airport lounges. Wait staff service, food (buffet, menu, snack menu) and showers. Booze if applicable.

I'm genuinely interested.

I'm guessing there might be one in the Middle East, but no way HKG Qantas interesting, but, nope

LH F Terminal in FRA. QF F lounge in SYD and not bad in MEL. TG F lounge at BKK

zznoname Feb 28, 2015 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag (Post 24432546)

Right. But why?

Do those lounges have a super big "lounge" shower w/ cocktail table & couch? Allowing you to bring in food/drinks? Many plates and glasses?

A staff that questions NOTHING? Never, ever, ever.

"Four Collins glasses filled to the brim and a tray, please."
Basically, actually, finishing off the whole bottle, without flinching?

How about if you do that twice?

Fresh cooking snack menu - I posted it somewhere.
Good variety in that menu with great sauces.

A la carte dining menu and huge buffet with a carver station, Sushi and Truffles?

I'm truly interested. I like top lounges.

moondog Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm

I find this "love affair with CX lounges" discussion amusing. While the food and resting/bathing facilities are decent enough, HK happens to have good restaurants and hotels. Furthermore, thanks to the predictability of hex and immigration, it's possible to show up at the airport just in time for your flight. The only cases in which the lounges are useful are layovers and delayed flights (admittedly a big problem on many PRC routes).

Dr. HFH Feb 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 24432656)
Right. But why?

Massages.

JonNYC Feb 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Definitely. And for sure SQ's F facilities at SIN. All, to varying degrees, (much) better than CX HKG lounges. TG F lounge somewhat of a judgement call, but I love it.

grahampros Feb 28, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm trying this flight for the first time this week. I'll post a trip report in the trip report section. Will give me something to do on these long sectors. I had the option non stop out of ORD on CX in J, but i went with the connection on AA since I had EVIPS to burn and cleared into F. CX J is a bit over rated anyway other than the staff.

First time back in HKG in a few years, so looking forward to it.

gwade Mar 1, 2015 9:23 pm

What gate(s) does AA usually get allocated for the flight?