FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1654629-aa-flight-dfw-hkg-dfw-experiences-questions.html)

FriendlySkies Jul 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by iadp (Post 25106826)
Arrived today 07/12 on 138. In the lounge at DFW, I was surprised to see 137 was boarding at 17:30. Ouch, 5+ hours late.

Took 137 a couple weeks ago. Young crew and a great flight in J. 138 today in J not so much. Older crew. They couldn't be bothered for even simple requests. No PDB. Asked for an apple juice after main meal- never did get it. FA running the food card kept shouting out a fish meal and something else was all she had left. I didn't see fish on the menu so I asked if the prawn was what she was referring too. "Yes, the prawn fish." The last kick in the teeth was the cold shower in terminal C at DFW. At least I'll make it to DCA on time :)

Next time, do yourself a favor and visit the A24 AC for a shower. They're the best of any AC at DFW ^.

jjglaze77 Jul 12, 2015 7:23 pm

...I was surprised to see 137 was boarding at 17:30. Ouch, 5+ hours late...

Anyone know what happened to today's (7/12) flight 137? I was leaving on a flight at 8PM and it was still on the ground. I actually discovered they were still on the ground by listening to DFW Clearance Delivery (via liveatc.net app) and heard the 137 pilot come on the frequency and ask for her routing. The controller was puzzled and said that it should have been sent electronically 8 minutes earlier. She changed to ground to double check and came back on to say that she did in fact need to have the route read to her. I then listened to the controller try and read a route with 40+ waypoints. It almost became comical the back and forth of trying to get it correctly copied down. Hopefully they are on the way!

UAL1200 Jul 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjglaze77 (Post 25107247)
Anyone know what happened to today's (7/12) flight 137? I was leaving on a flight at 8PM and it was still on the ground. I actually discovered they were still on the ground by listening to DFW Clearance Delivery (via liveatc.net app) and heard the 137 pilot come on the frequency and ask for her routing. The controller was puzzled and said that it should have been sent electronically 8 minutes earlier. She changed to ground to double check and came back on to say that she did in fact need to have the route read to her. I then listened to the controller try and read a route with 40+ waypoints. It almost became comical the back and forth of trying to get it correctly copied down. Hopefully they are on the way!

AA137 for 7/12 has been cancelled. People are getting rebooked tomorrow's (7/13) flight, which is the one I'm taking. There goes my upgrades.

Dr. HFH Jul 12, 2015 11:08 pm

The last kick in the teeth was the cold shower in terminal C at DFW.

IIRC, that's the one where there actually is hot water; but due to the location of the water heater, it can take literally 20-30 minutes for the hot water to get there after you turn on the hot water tap. I was warned by reception staff on arrival, but I didn't believe that it could be that bad. Hot water finally arrived as I was finishing my shower.

Originally Posted by jjglaze77 (Post 25107247)

Isn't there usually a separate frequency for route changes and clearance delivery?

amyers Jul 13, 2015 6:53 am

Arrived today 07/12 on 138. In the lounge at DFW, I was surprised to see 137 was boarding at 17:30. Ouch, 5+ hours late.

Took 137 a couple weeks ago. Young crew and a great flight in J. 138 today in J not so much. Older crew. They couldn't be bothered for even simple requests. No PDB. Asked for an apple juice after main meal- never did get it. FA running the food card kept shouting out a fish meal and something else was all she had left. I didn't see fish on the menu so I asked if the prawn was what she was referring too. "Yes, the prawn fish." The last kick in the teeth was the cold shower in terminal C at DFW. At least I'll make it to DCA on time :)

Same sort of experience for me. Flight to HGK with younger crew was better than the flight back with an older crew. The older crew did not want to be bothered at ALL. They were not rude, but they did not do anything extra.

jjglaze77 Jul 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by UAL1200 (Post 25107796)
AA137 for 7/12 has been cancelled. People are getting rebooked tomorrow's (7/13) flight, which is the one I'm taking. There goes my upgrades.

Bummer! I wonder when they finally gave up an cancelled the flight. I checked when I got home about 9:15PM and it didn't show as cancelled yet :eek:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 25107917)
Isn't there usually a separate frequency for route changes and clearance delivery?

I'm not a pilot, so I'm not sure. I was listening to the feed labeled "KDFW Del/East Ground." The 137 pilot was difficult to understand, but she came on frequency and I believe said, "We were unable to get a PDC, they said to call you for a full clearance." After a little back and forth, they started going through the full routing. Here's the link:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kd...2015-0030Z.mp3

I first hear AA137 at 21:55 in / 9:48 remaining.

TravelLawyer Jul 22, 2015 10:48 am

I am flying on the 138 HKG to DFW in mid December in economy. I am in an MCE aisle with no one next to me, and it looks wide open except for one row. Does this section stay relatively open (since all the elites are vying for upgrades)? Or will it fill up with random Y passengers regardless? I can't upgrade because I'm flying on an award tix - no saaver awards on this route for 2015-2016 for any premium cabin.

jaimelannister Jul 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush (Post 25156077)
I am flying on the 138 HKG to DFW in mid December in economy. I am in an MCE aisle with no one next to me, and it looks wide open except for one row. Does this section stay relatively open (since all the elites are vying for upgrades)? Or will it fill up with random Y passengers regardless? I can't upgrade because I'm flying on an award tix - no saaver awards on this route for 2015-2016 for any premium cabin.

Expect it to fill up.

teemuflyer Jul 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush (Post 25156077)

And don't give up on saaver awards for J or F opening up. I was able to find 2 F DFW to HKG and 2 J saaver for the return around New Years relatively recently.. Also booked an F R/T saaver for mid to late November.

TravelLawyer Jul 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 25157644)
And don't give up on saaver awards for J or F opening up. I was able to find 2 F DFW to HKG and 2 J saaver for the return around New Years relatively recently.. Also booked an F R/T saaver for mid to late November.

When did you book? They cleared out all Saaver awards on this route (I think starting a few weeks ago) for some reason. There are zero on all days from now to 330+ days out.

teemuflyer Jul 23, 2015 6:06 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush (Post 25157972)
When did you book? They cleared out all Saaver awards on this route (I think starting a few weeks ago) for some reason. There are zero on all days from now to 330+ days out.

My understanding is that the zeroing out is on a lot of routes due to the merger of PMAA/PMUS reservation systems and associated PIA. Keep trying, daily.. I don't recall when I did my bookings. Sometime in the spring, IIRC.

TravelLawyer Jul 23, 2015 9:16 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 25160002)
My understanding is that the zeroing out is on a lot of routes due to the merger of PMAA/PMUS reservation systems and associated PIA. Keep trying, daily.. I don't recall when I did my bookings. Sometime in the spring, IIRC.

Thanks. Will keep checking...

ckx2 Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm on 137/138 regularly now. Everytime I spot the older crew on this flight I know what to expect - nothing except for a good hard product. It's a shame AA still lets this useless crew fly on that specific route.

JDiver Jul 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2 (Post 25164469)
I'm on 137/138 regularly now. Everytime I spot the older crew on this flight I know what to expect - nothing except for a good hard product. It's a shame AA still lets this useless crew fly on that specific route.

IMO, AA relinquished control a long time ago, so there's no supervisory or lead person as part of the cabin crew and little done to adhere to standars (though new hires are expected to). As well, there seems to be a leadership vacuum and no desire to take this issue on.

As well, crews tend to "buddy bid" so you'll often find similar eggs in the same crate, so to speak. Slackers and strivers avoid conflict by sticking together. We're the lucky recipients or losers in this game, I'm afraid.

AAExpDFW Jul 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2 (Post 25164469)

I hope you report this. That is the only way AA will take action. I tweet mid-flight and report it through the form. I have seen AA take action in the past on crew performance issues....it does happen.