Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: What will the new AA do in the north-eastern US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: What will the new AA do in the north-eastern US?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhl12
Are there any other US airports that have successful connecting operations of that sort out of terminals that are as physically disjoint as Terminals B (AA Domestic) and E (International) are at Logan?
EWR isn't exactly enjoyable if you're going A to C or vice versa

JFK would be another good example of having to switch terminals entirely

LAX, with T7 for UA and TBIT for the rest of *A
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
To some extent, ORD is that way. IIRC, the only non-AA international flights out of the AA terminal are on JL, with everything else being out of T5. LAX is similar (though IIRC, the airside connector between T4 and TBIT is currently under construction).
Doesn't Iberia also use the AA terminal?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bridge29
The combined airline essentially already does have quite a focus city in BOS. They allow for connections, too.
Agreed. Boston is already a focus city and, I'd argue, a de facto hub (albeit a small one).

On Friday, Jan 9, AA+US scheduled 86 mainline departures from BOS plus the assorted US Express flights. For comparison, DCA (which US began calling a "hub" late in 2013 or early in 2014) had 95 mainline departures scheduled on AA+US yesterday. Of course, DCA also featured well over a hundred express flights in addition to the mainline capacity.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Agreed. Boston is already a focus city and, I'd argue, a de facto hub (albeit a small one).

On Friday, Jan 9, AA+US scheduled 86 mainline departures from BOS plus the assorted US Express flights. For comparison, DCA (which US began calling a "hub" late in 2013 or early in 2014) had 95 mainline departures scheduled on AA+US yesterday. Of course, DCA also featured well over a hundred express flights in addition to the mainline capacity.
Over half of them are flights to NYC, PHL, and DCA. BOS may be a fairly large station for AA/US, but most of it is NEC travel.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Doesn't Iberia also use the AA terminal?
Looks like it--I've updated my post. Thanks for the correction.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by lhl12
As much as I'd love to see BOS become an international hub for AA like JFK (or perhaps PHL) - collecting domestic traffic and connecting it on to Europe and Asia (and vice versa on the return) -- it seems to me that the Terminal B/E separation at Logan makes that pretty tough to do.
I don't think that AA would want to turn BOS into an international hub. There's no need for that with PHL and JFK. However, there is a fair amount of international O&D traffic there. And having those people head south first to JFK and PHL to do so isn't being that competitive. Especially now that the combined carrier has such a large customer base there. The fact that so many European destinations are within the range of the 75Ls, in addition to the fact that there is other connecting traffic feeding into BOS from cities in the NE as well as cities like LAX and DCA, makes doing so less risky.

Are there any other US airports that have successful connecting operations of that sort out of terminals that are as physically disjoint as Terminals B (AA Domestic) and E (International) are at Logan?
Yes. ORD immediately comes to mind. Also, LAX. At PHL, if one is connecting onto a flight out of Terminal F, they have to take a shuttle bus after clearing C&I. At other airline hubs, EWR is this way when UA flights arrive into Terminal B. IAD is not exactly convenient either. However, this is only a matter with arriving international flights. Outbound flights would still use Terminal B at BOS. And would actually be quite easy to connect to.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Over half of them are flights to NYC, PHL, and DCA. BOS may be a fairly large station for AA/US, but most of it is NEC travel.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is "NEC" traffic? I don't see NEC in the glossary.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Northeast corridor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.