Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: What will the new AA do in the north-eastern US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: What will the new AA do in the north-eastern US?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Sadly, I don't think much is going to change as the consolidation occurs. Pure speculation on my part, as I wish they would expand, but where AA can profitably expand out of BOS is the challenge.

1. The trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific routes from Boston are already well served by oneWorld partners a la British, Iberia, JAL and Cathay. For Ireland, Aer Lingus has multiple flights. I also doubt that they would push for any other destinations in Europe given the ability to route customers through a oneWorld hub and competition already on the routes (e.g. DL and SkyTeam to AMS, FCO and CDG). Ditto for service to Germany.

2. The other routes which were flown by AA prior to B6 entering the market were the snow-bird flights to Florida, which have been gone for years (with the exception of MIA of course). The flights to Florida do well I would think, judging by the fares we pay and the full loads, but they'd be competing with B6 who has a ton of capacity and Delta who has limited non-stop service. I'm not certain they could make those flights work, even with Embraers.

Frankly, I'm surprised the BUF, SYR, ROC and MDT flights have lasted this long with US. For example, I've seen the Sunday night flight to MDT cancelled many times when waiting for my shuttle flight. I took the MDT flight a hand full of times last year and it was empty. The flights were on what I would assume to be 'peak travel' on Friday and Sunday night.

I'd love to see AA give some options to non-MIA Florida or other points South, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Last I checked loads on the MDT-BOS flights are pretty bad, around 50%. But fares aren't that cheap, either. I still think the fact that this route has lasted as long as it has is even more surprising considering how much leakage probably takes place with flights for half the price, if not less, on B6 from BWI and PHL.

US has already cut it back some, however. It's scheduled to be flown 1x daily on Mondays/Wednesdays starting in April, as of now it's 2x daily on those days.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Prem, Hyatt Diamond, AA EP
I'm afraid they will pull out of ISP
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:05 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I think BOS will continue to be a key focus city with a few routes getting cut and being replaced by routes where AA has key contracts or significant O/D traffic. Just like what they are doing at LGA on a smaller scale.

BOS-PIT is a route where AA has quite few contracts on both ends and a good number of O/D traffic.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: US CP; Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by lowfareair
If Doug repeats what he did with US Airways, focusing on hub flying, BOS will be the first sign of it - goodbye ROC, BUF, SYR, MDT, and the Caribbean.
Why wouldn't he have done that sooner, though? Those flights weren't part of the AA package that US redeemed from the bankruptcy court, they are longstanding US flights.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
The last LHR slot AA bought cost $31 million.Are they still prepared to pay that sort of money under the new management?
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Well ... that is what new management paid a few months ago for that slot from Cyprus Airways that's now used for the second CLT-LHR:
I don't pretend to understand how the AA-BA joint venture works with respect to LHR slots, but I've seen others post that they're allowed to pool their slots and if so, then I'm sure the joint venture can allocate the revenues and expenses, including some component to compensate the owner of the slot.

Before the joint venture, AA had about 16 daily LHR flights in peak season. Following the approval of the joint venture but before AA turned BOS over to BA, and before AA trimmed JFK-LHR to just three daily 77Ws, I recall AA flying as many as 19 daily peak season flights, presumably using some BA slots. I don't know where AA got the slot for the new second daily LAX-LHR flight - perhaps it's using a BA slot.

In any event, even if AA returns to the open market to buy available slots, they aren't all that expensive. CO paid more than $200 million, IIRC, for four daily LHR slots back in 2008 when Open Skies began. $31 million last year sounds like a bargain - much less than a new 737.

Yep - $209 million - a record price: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b6a47274-e...#axzz3O4AhGRxN
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Folks up here still lament the loss of BEX flights between BGR-BOS, although I don't believe in a million years AA will resurrect them.

I'd love to see AA offer BGR-ORD for enhanced west/midwest connections (UA entered the market on a seasonal basis last summer).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Folks up here still lament the loss of BEX flights between BGR-BOS, although I don't believe in a million years AA will resurrect them.

I'd love to see AA offer BGR-ORD for enhanced west/midwest connections (UA entered the market on a seasonal basis last summer).
I'd fly PWM-BOS-XXX if they'd let me. It's not a long drive, but just long enough that I don't like doing it.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer

PHL is a good place to connect going west from BGR
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by 02143
Why wouldn't he have done that sooner, though? Those flights weren't part of the AA package that US redeemed from the bankruptcy court, they are longstanding US flights.
I also believe PLS and PUJ were added under Dougie's watch.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Many of those US Express flights have been around forever in some form or another. DL/BEX, then AA, then I think DL for some of them, then US. There must be enough of a combination of O/D plus premium pricing for nonstops/day trips for Parker to have kept them this long.

AA lost a lot of its capacity from NE/NY cities to ORD about a decade ago. ALB-ORD, for example, used to be 4x MD80 before 9/11, that was a route i flew at least 30x from 1999-2003. Then it got slashed to ERJs. Then it got cut completely.

Look at ORD to anything within 300 miles of CLT (excluding CLT itself). There's not a lot there - 19 flights a day total - 7xATL, 3xRDU, 3xTYS, 2xRIC, 2xCHO, 1xCHA, 1xLEX. Much of the smaller cities have their flights timed to join up with international feed. By comparison, ORD to a similar band coming out of PHL into NY/PA/NE beyond BOS/NYC is whopping 4xBDL, 3xSYR, and 2xMDT.

It would seem that 1x to ORD from MHT, ALB, PVD, PWM is feasible. But there are two questions which remain in my mind:

1. The feed to the smaller SE cities from ORD is often timed to hit the international connections. How likely is that to New England vs PHL and JFK?
2. If flying to Chicago is for better connections for traffic originating in the spoke and going to the west coast, you're probably looking at early morning westbound flights. Do you have gate space for a second pre-8-AM flight in the spokes?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I wonder how profitable BOS-Caribbean flying is with the new airline's higher costs and jetBlue competing on the route, especially with B6 about to add more seats in their planes (more seats = lower costs).
...which instantly makes B6 equal in product to the legacy airlines, but with an inferior ff program as disincentive.
NOW, is the time to swoop in and take market share!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
With United now dividing AA and US in Terminal B, I think AA will most likely give up the AA side (what's left of it) and consolidate on the US side. If anything, they might just scale back in Boston.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by bl4666
With United now dividing AA and US in Terminal B, I think AA will most likely give up the AA side (what's left of it) and consolidate on the US side. If anything, they might just scale back in Boston.
Is there really enough room to make that happen?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I know it's been said before, but I am surprised that RDU-BOS hasn't been announced. That is the one gaping hole I see in the combined carriers networks at both airports.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:28 am

Connecting the Dots

Once things settle down, based on Parker's prior comments on ORD, I would not be surprised to see him putting CRJ's on routes from smaller cities (Albany, Providence, ABE, etc) to ORD that currently only have UA flights to compete with UA. Maybe start with a single early morning flight with a late night return. With the lower cost of jet fuel, the CRJ's that they are being phase out could be used in the short term to build traffic that flows west that US and AA currently do get. These are cities that have a strong US base to build upon. Question would be is whether ORD could handle additional traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.