Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: What will the new AA do in the north-eastern US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
...which instantly makes B6 equal in product to the legacy airlines, but with an inferior ff program as disincentive.
NOW, is the time to swoop in and take market share!
I agree! Time for AA to recommit to BOS. Focus city a-la DCA would be nice!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It would seem that 1x to ORD from MHT, ALB, PVD, PWM is feasible. But there are two questions which remain in my mind:

1. The feed to the smaller SE cities from ORD is often timed to hit the international connections. How likely is that to New England vs PHL and JFK?
2. If flying to Chicago is for better connections for traffic originating in the spoke and going to the west coast, you're probably looking at early morning westbound flights. Do you have gate space for a second pre-8-AM flight in the spokes?
I can talk somewhat intelligently about PWM.

1. For international, your timing is going to be better to PHL, simply because they run 5-6x daily, and it's a 1 hour flight. However, I think international feed PWM-PHL isn't that important, based on most of the capacity going out earlier in the day. Right now it's 2X E75 and 3X CRJ daily, but the E75's go out from PWM in the morning. Realistically, I think a lot of the international travelers will just drive to BOS. I think that's reinforced by the fact that only B6 serves JFK from PWM, and B6 isn't doing it to feed international traffic. DL used to, IIRC, but pulled out. DL still serves LGA.

2. I definitely would prefer ORD for westbound connections. The same way I prefer connecting through DTW on my way back east - with the time change, it saves me about an hour. The same is generally true flying AA back through ORD vs DFW, and that hour is important if I have to drive back from BOS.

That said, PWM has a completely unused gate next to the two US gates. Right now US operates Gates 9 and 10, with 11 unused. That's on the new side of the terminal. Worst case, anyone wanting to add capacity can use gates in the old side of the terminal. An additional morning flight wouldn't be a big deal - US is already managing morning flights using 2 gates to PHL, CLT and DCA. They could probably time ORD without the 3rd if necessary.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by abeflyer
Once things settle down, based on Parker's prior comments on ORD, I would not be surprised to see him putting CRJ's on routes from smaller cities (Albany, Providence, ABE, etc) to ORD that currently only have UA flights to compete with UA. Maybe start with a single early morning flight with a late night return. With the lower cost of jet fuel, the CRJ's that they are being phase out could be used in the short term to build traffic that flows west that US and AA currently do get. These are cities that have a strong US base to build upon. Question would be is whether ORD could handle additional traffic.
AA recently upgauged MDT to a two-class aircraft so it's clear they're trying to compete with UA. UA often now runs 1, sometimes 2 mainline into MDT per day (usually a A319 or 738 -- but I was even on a 739 back in September!).
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Speedracer2
The combined airline essentially already does have quite a focus city in BOS. They allow for connections, too.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
BOS was a focus city at the time of the HP-US merger
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I wonder how profitable BOS-Caribbean flying is with the new airline's higher costs and jetBlue competing on the route, especially with B6 about to add more seats in their planes (more seats = lower costs).
US's BOS Caribbean is simply making use of spare planes that sit idle on Saturdays, and fly easy to fill markets with decent average fare. A lot of the markets served have plenty of room for these extra Saturday flights. I don't think competition is that crazy on these routes. The prices seem to be quite even on the airlines and they all (even the LCC) are typically ridiculous high in price for Xmas, Feb and April Vacations. Traffic has increased greatly by all carriers to markets like PLS and PUJ. PLS is up to 4 Saturdays flight (2x B6, US, DL) for Winter 2015 as opposed to only 1-2 between 2008-2011.

If they do bring back more BOS flying ala SFO, etc there's more planes available for a weekly AUA, SXM or NAS. I always wondered why either AA and US completely dropped AUA instead of keeping a weekly or Sat/Sun.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I know it's been said before, but I am surprised that RDU-BOS hasn't been announced. That is the one gaping hole I see in the combined carriers networks at both airports.
Both DL and B6 serve this route so I don't know if there's enough traffic for AA to jump into the mix. Unfortunately, to get to RDU on AA, I was routed from BOS to DCA and then to RDU. It wasn't bad, considering how many flights US operates to RDU, from DCA; but, for the second trip last year, I went with B6. The B6 flights were full, but I'm just not certain if that's always the case. Tickets weren't inexpensive though.

As far as terminal space goes, it would be interesting to see AA consolidate on the US side of terminal B. I'm usually only on the B side near the United gates, but it seems like there's a lot of space on the other side. Another advantage is the US Club is pretty big and the few times I've been in there, pretty empty too. I would think they could make the terminal pretty attractive with a good investment. Delta's terminal is nice and UA's new terminal is also aesthetically attractive. And come on, when is the last time you saw BOS on the 'weekly sAAver' e-mails!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

the combined as-us is in a great position to make Bos a focus city. great set of destinations with premium travel. a good mix of leisure travellers and college students that can be the next hvf. AA metal should return to LHR, with an evening flight and a 757 daytime flight replacing two of the existing BA frequencies.

BOS-SFO makes a lot of sense. The weekly Caribbean runs make sense to use the 319s running the shuttle on weekdays. LAS returning for Friday night would be nice.

AA would be competing against DL and B6, but is in a good position to do well. just some metal swap in the JV, and some opportunistic flying when business traffic dies town.

I'd love to see BOS-SJC. use one of the 319s from the morning shuttle rush, fly it in the late morning outbound to rotate it out and have another 319 return just before the evening rush on the shuttle.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I'd like to see the addition of PVD-ORD, connecting to west coast via ORD breaks up the trip more than CLT or PHL. Also, I find myself in Chicago quite often for work so it would help as a destination. In the past I used to use UA since I got US miles, but now I suck it up and connect or drive up to BOS. If I were doing it on a weekly basis again I would probably defect to UA. PVD-DFW would be nice but I doubt they could make the numbers work.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:31 pm

I apologize for asking this here, but I'm having a hell of a time searching for the SEA thread referred to by OP. SEA is my most common destination (long-distance relationship) so I'm really curious to read any speculation about it, DL-prompted or otherwise. Anyone got a link? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong in my searching.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bridge29
AA recently upgauged MDT to a two-class aircraft so it's clear they're trying to compete with UA. UA often now runs 1, sometimes 2 mainline into MDT per day (usually a A319 or 738 -- but I was even on a 739 back in September!).
AA is doing 3x daily flights into MDT with a mix of two-class aircraft. I fly ORD-MDT once a month and am now willing to fly AA since they have added F and ditched the torture tubes. Sadly the last flight out of MDT in the evenings is not timed to support ending the work day at 5pm so I'm still on DL on the way back to ORD (I will drive before I ever fly UA again).

MDT is an odd airport. Very underutilized by the airlines. It serves a market of about 2 million people (yes, there are that many people closer to MDT than another airport) but it's proximity to BWI and PHL has it getting looked over regularly. People in the area are used to driving a couple of hours to fly, expecially to gain the benefit of a non-stop. Plus the fares can be a bit ridiculous at times. The whole thing is sad because it's a really nice airport for a small 12-gate operation.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by chrisremo
I apologize for asking this here, but I'm having a hell of a time searching for the SEA thread referred to by OP. SEA is my most common destination (long-distance relationship) so I'm really curious to read any speculation about it, DL-prompted or otherwise. Anyone got a link? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong in my searching.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...estern-us.html
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been flying BOS-SYR/ROC/BUF and back every few weeks for the past 4 years. Outside of the SYR flights they are almost always full. I really hope they don't cut them, and in a perfect world they would replace the horrid CRJ-200 on the ROC/BUF flights.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think the new AA will play its hand at BOS. They currently have the most flights (although not the most available seats) there. It's possible SFO comes back. And maybe service to CMH, IND, and/or STL. However, the 75Ls can reach all of the cities in Western Europe except for Italy. That gives AA the opportunity to have maybe 4 or 5 destinations served from BOS. And the O&D traffic as well as the connection possibilites can easily fill up a 75L.
As much as I'd love to see BOS become an international hub for AA like JFK (or perhaps PHL) - collecting domestic traffic and connecting it on to Europe and Asia (and vice versa on the return) -- it seems to me that the Terminal B/E separation at Logan makes that pretty tough to do.

Are there any other US airports that have successful connecting operations of that sort out of terminals that are as physically disjoint as Terminals B (AA Domestic) and E (International) are at Logan?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by lhl12
As much as I'd love to see BOS become an international hub for AA like JFK (or perhaps PHL) - collecting domestic traffic and connecting it on to Europe and Asia (and vice versa on the return) -- it seems to me that the Terminal B/E separation at Logan makes that pretty tough to do.

Are there any other US airports that have successful connecting operations of that sort out of terminals that are as physically disjoint as Terminals B (AA Domestic) and E (International) are at Logan?
To some extent, ORD is that way. IIRC, the only non-AA international flights out of the AA terminal are on JL, with everything else being out of T5. LAX is similar (though IIRC, the airside connector between T4 and TBIT is currently under construction).

ETA: looks like IB is also in T3 with AA at ORD--thanks to aamilesslave for the correction

Last edited by cmn.jcs; Jan 10, 2015 at 1:27 pm Reason: See post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.