Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"OP's best shot at CX/JL availability (in terms of most flights/day) is West Coast or JFK, which means a double connection domestic (MSP-ORD/DFW-XXX-NRT/HKG), though they have a shot out of ORD on JL/CX."

Note that AA is starting MSP-LGA service in January, so a single-connection routing (albeit with a ground transfer at NYC) will be a possibility.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
Hi I'm trying to figure out which routes/airlines I can use with my AA miles, trying to book a flight for next Fall before year end and the devaluation goes into effect in April. I want to avoid BA because of the fees. I would prefer to fly through NYC or a major city in Canada so i can get a stopover on the way.
AA awards do not include stopovers of longer than 24 hours. Your non-BA options include Iberia and Air Berlin. Iberia availability does not display on the AA website. It would display on the BA website.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"OP's best shot at CX/JL availability (in terms of most flights/day) is West Coast or JFK, which means a double connection domestic (MSP-ORD/DFW-XXX-NRT/HKG), though they have a shot out of ORD on JL/CX."

Note that AA is starting MSP-LGA service in January, so a single-connection routing (albeit with a ground transfer at NYC) will be a possibility.
Not sure which is worse, a double connection or a LGA-JFK ground transfer. I would not want to check luggage if I was doing that (otherwise, prepare for lots of schlepping around). I suppose if it's the difference between trip or no trip, though...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAdvantage partner TN flies LAX-CDG, and CDG-LAX. You must call AA to check availability, and to book.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Your non-BA options include Iberia and Air Berlin. Iberia availability does not display on the AA website. It would display on the BA website.
Finnair (AY), too, will be found on aa.com. Worldwide, only about 1/3 of AA's AAdvantage redemption partners appear on aa.com. AA's own availability plus that provided by BA probably accounts for about 80% of the total AA AAdvantage airlines' USA-Europe capacity, however.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
YMMV but that has not been my experience.
If you book 10-11 months out, there is lots of CX Business availability from both BOS and JFK.
Even some single BOS First seats.
When I worked on the AS award to JNB in 11 months mark in late Sept this year there was none out of BOS and ORD in J for the 2 weeks window on the outbound and on the inbound. There were J seats on every single LAX flight outbound and very often 1F on the 0940 and 2325? departure. The LAX departure actually works better for us to do single day connection from MIA - both the 0100 and 2325 departures can use same day connection comfortably. Impossible to do for ORD and BOS departure.

On top of that given there are 3 / 4 departures a day from LAX, the options are twice than that from BOS and ORD.

Even now there are still plenty of J seats for Aug/Sept departure from LAX plus 1F on sporadic dates. Some flights still show 3 or more J seats. Amazing. I honestly believe the abundance in availability has a lot to do with BA's devaluation.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 22, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAdvantage partner TN flies LAX-CDG, and CDG-LAX. You must call AA to check availability, and to book.
And it could even be a code-share on NZ! Certainly would beat the BA J. I would take NZ any day over many other airlines.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy

And it could even be a code-share on NZ! Certainly would beat the BA J. I would take NZ any day over many other airlines.
I think you mean AF, not NZ. (NZ flies LAX-LHR, I think.)
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:49 pm

thanks everyone for the comments!!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:58 pm

thanks everyone for the comments!! i just checked air tahiti and their schedule only goes thru early oct 2016, any ideas when they would open up the rest of the month?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
This is probably going to be the most problematic issue for OP- the domestic connection. OP's best shot at CX/JL availability (in terms of most flights/day) is West Coast or JFK, which means a double connection domestic (MSP-ORD/DFW-XXX-NRT/HKG), though they have a shot out of ORD on JL/CX.
My point is that finding MSP-gateway shouldn't be hard compared to finding J/F on the transpac, although yes I agree a connection in DFW/ORD is likely necessary (if the gateway isn't ORD or DFW). If an additional domestic leg is a problem, then I would agree MSP-gateway is problematic.

Not sure which is worse, a double connection or a LGA-JFK ground transfer. I would not want to check luggage if I was doing that (otherwise, prepare for lots of schlepping around). I suppose if it's the difference between trip or no trip, though...
Definitely LGA-JFK transfer in my book. Traffic on the Van Wyck is unpredictable, and thus, I would need a long connection to feel comfortable with the connection. Plus having to schlep luggage, etc., and added monetary cost.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Time award seats are released on AA?

I searched this thread it appears this was last discussed in May or June, prior to the big IT switchover at AA. In the old days, AA mileage award seats became available starting at midnight central time and the system would populate until about 1:30 am so the seats would appear during that period as some huge batch process ran.

Now it appears the system runs around 7 am CST and seats load over the next 45 mins or so. Aside from the 330 day rule, I also notice seats appearing at 14 and then exactly at 7 days.

Of course all of this is subject to load and other factors, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed any other patterns since they have switched to new systems?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Happy
For sure - if only one could find an NZ award with anyhing but their own program
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right. I was thinking about LHR as that the initial question was to connect at LHR.

Originally Posted by Paulchili
For sure - if only one could find an NZ award with anyhing but their own program
How things have changed from the ancient past.

Our first international business class trip was done on NZ back when UA program had the below market chart of only 90K r/t ... circa 2006 or 2007? Even more amazingly we were able to find 2 J seats out bound and 1 J seat in bound. Upon the advice from the good folks on the UA forum I booked them as 2 tickets 2 PNRs. Did not bother to check until 3 or 4 months before departure - then sure enough NZ released the needed J seat. Though dealing with the India call center was another story - at that time the Indian agents did not have the concept of reissuing tickets... I did call NZ after each involuntary change to make sure everything was intact... On such occasion, after probably 3 or 4 involuntary changes, the nice NZ agent told me, "Just a friendly reminder, you may want to remind your travel agent to issue the tickets as right now you have a reservation but no ticket." Whoops! That was the big lesson learned when first started in the world of award travel! @:-)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goldengate
I searched this thread it appears this was last discussed in May or June, prior to the big IT switchover at AA. In the old days, AA mileage award seats became available starting at midnight central time and the system would populate until about 1:30 am so the seats would appear during that period as some huge batch process ran.

Now it appears the system runs around 7 am CST and seats load over the next 45 mins or so. Aside from the 330 day rule, I also notice seats appearing at 14 and then exactly at 7 days.

Of course all of this is subject to load and other factors, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed any other patterns since they have switched to new systems?
This is good stuff. More please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.