Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by surftb15
So I booked this award.

BKK.. HKG... NRT... ORD

On JAL and cx first.

I need to get from ord to San. There was no reward seats available. There are now.

The AA agent said they need to redeposit the miles and book again. Is this true?
Yep. Or get separate award for that fight.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:06 pm

Thats ridiculous. They made it seem like it would be easy when I booked. If I wait for the charge to be returned before booking again, will I lose the seats? Or will they put them on hold as before?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:10 pm

They will just reticket. You will not lose the seats. It will take a little time to reticket. Totally standard. Just make sure you get reticketed. Call back every few days until it does so.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:21 pm

American MileSAAver Holiday Blackout

I know American has had the domestic holiday blackout for saver awards for a few years now, but I can't recall if they ever open some availability last minute. I'm waiting on a transcon return flight back from where I am traveling, but am still not seeing anything released (outside of the occasional AS flight on days I don't want)... What's more frustrating is Expert Flyer is showing wide open availability on all flights I am interested in.

Anyone know if AA releases holiday transcon saver seats on some routes last minute?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes. I've previously snagged holiday SAAver awards at the last minute. Past performance may not be indicative yadda yadda...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:29 pm

I don't know if/when they open up milesaavers, but I'm keeping an eye out. Already snagged a BTR-CLT-CHS-PHL for next weekend and it looks like the CLT-PHL nonstops have plenty of seats for sale so I'm just waiting for those to open up last minute
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
How does reaccommodation if there are delays impacting partner connections on an award ticket? I searched the forums but the results I found were more about earning miles or who would be responsible for reaccommodating and not how it would happen.

Example: Let's say I have a DFW-JFK-TXL where DFW-JFK is AA and JFK-TXL is AB. The DFW-JFK is delayed (weather, maintenance, whatever) to the point that I am going to miss my JFK-TXL connection on AB. What is AA's next move there? Would they conceivably just put me on AA metal for the DFW-LHR segment? Would there have to be award availability?

Same question for the reverse return... let's say AB is running behind schedule on TXL-JFK and is going to cause me to miss my JFK-DFW connection. Who do I talk to about fixing that and what would the likely outcome be?

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Steven6702
How does reaccommodation if there are delays impacting partner connections on an award ticket? I searched the forums but the results I found were more about earning miles or who would be responsible for reaccommodating and not how it would happen.
In day of departure irrops situations, award tickets are no different than paid tickets. You definitely don't need to have award availability on an alternate flight in order to be re-booked.

If your DFW-JFK flight was delayed such that you'd miss JFK-TXL, then AA would re-book you in DFW. Pretty much any other flights on AA/oneworld would be options...connecting through LHR definitely so.

Same thing on the return from TXL except AB would re-book you.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In day of departure irrops situations, award tickets are no different than paid tickets. You definitely don't need to have award availability on an alternate flight in order to be re-booked.

If your DFW-JFK flight was delayed such that you'd miss JFK-TXL, then AA would re-book you in DFW. Pretty much any other flights on AA/oneworld would be options...connecting through LHR definitely so.

Same thing on the return from TXL except AB would re-book you.
Thanks! So it sounds like this is something to hope for to some degree if I'm taking connections that I'd rather not be taking...unless I get rebooked onto a crappier plane, in which case I would not want this!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by rumboj
I booked an F award MIA-LAX-SYD last September for next July. Sometime last month, unbeknownst to me, QF downgraded the aircraft from an A380 to a 747 and stuck me in business. What recourse do I have? The A380 will be operating every other day except Tuesdays. Can I just request to change my flight to the next day to preserve my F award or change to DFW-SYD even though there is no F SAAver availability that day? Or am I just basically stuck in business and have to request my mileage back?

I know this is a late reply, but you should contact AA. They have a liaison desk who can reach out to QF to request reaccomodation... DO NOT DIY on line, canceling one and hoping to find new inventory.

QF might not open seats, in which case you will be stuck- but they might. It might take AA liaison a while. If you are high status with AA or QF this helps greatly.

Give them options- the DFW flight or moving it a day up or back.

GL
Originally Posted by arollins
You need to check with AA, any of the choices you mentioned are available. Keep in mind this will involve redepositing the miles back and re-booking. They can change date, routing, or credit some miles back, however, keep in mind that this is a July trip, more changes can occur between now and them. Try to get the record locator for QF as well, and if you have a subscription to EF, set your self a check up on aircraft change for the flight in question.
While this may indeed LOOK like 'return miles and rebook', you should not get dinged for any of it- and if they wish to do so, the award inventory does not need to be available. Def a YMMV issue
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
What is the blackout duration? I just bought a ticket to my gateway to Asia (refundable on SW just in case!) right after Xmas. I return Jan 10, is that still in the blackout window or does it mostly expire by New Years.

Is it really a blackout or just folks being proactive and eating up all seat availability?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Is it really a blackout or just folks being proactive and eating up all seat availability?
It's not a blackout in the standard sense of the word, where an airline officially disallows mileage redemption on certain dates. However, AA appears to limit MileSAAver availability on peak holiday travel dates due to the fact that people will often be willing to pay or redeem at higher AAnytime rates. If/when SAAver inventory is released on those dates, folks do tend to snap it up as well.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
It seems like lately very date I want to travel is a MileSAAver-free day.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by consultant22
I know American has had the domestic holiday blackout for saver awards for a few years now
They must have skipped 2013; I flew on Christmas Day SEA-JFK-LHR in Y on AA, with my daughter, using AA and AS miles.

It was booked considerably in advance, however. Not last-minute.

Originally Posted by phil_flyer
It seems like lately very date I want to travel is a MileSAAver-free day.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....5/12/08/42067/

-shrug-
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by consultant22
I know American has had the domestic holiday blackout for saver awards for a few years now, but I can't recall if they ever open some availability last minute. I'm waiting on a transcon return flight back from where I am traveling, but am still not seeing anything released (outside of the occasional AS flight on days I don't want)... What's more frustrating is Expert Flyer is showing wide open availability on all flights I am interested in.

Anyone know if AA releases holiday transcon saver seats on some routes last minute?
I'm going to merge this into the MileSAAver award availability help desk thread.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.